Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Oil Feed Lines/Connectors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
patssle
For those that have done the /6 conversion with the oil tank in the fender (I have the Velios with 3/4" NPT threaded outlet and planning on using -16 AN hose) - what length of hose are you running from the tank to the inlet oil cooler? Also - are you using angle adapters on the tank or are straight connectors fine (inlet/outlet)?

Thanks.
patssle
Bump!
SLITS
I'll bite, but I can't measure length till tomorrow.

You'll want a 90 degree off the bottom of the tank and the hose split in two so you can drain the tank for an oil change. The connection to the oil pump feed will be straight.

90 degree - hose - straight connector - union - straight connector - hose - straight connector.

Have you modified your on engine oil cooler?
914itis
Same position as Ron, will measure in the morning .
patssle
Yes the engine oil cooler is modified with a 90 degree -16 AN fitting.

Everybody says connect the oil line to the tank before installation but I can't find line lengths anywhere! So that's why I am asking - so I can make the hose prior to installation. What "union" are you using? I've found 3 way tees but they are expensive plus the cap.

Also what about the engine outlet to oil tank inlet - are you using any elbows/degrees on that tank connector?
SLITS
Adapter to a 90 degree elbow out of the engine. Supposedly an adapter fitting on the tank in not available anywhere** so you have to use a 911 connector with a small section of pipe that the AN fitting is welded/braised/silver soldered to. If you can find the correct size straight 911 connector, the AN fitting can be welded/braised/silver soldered to it. This is what we did for Glenns' 3.0 conversion.

** I don't remember the thread size, but I once found a Parker Hannifin fitting that had the correct size.

And YES, install the line on the tank before you fit it. You will not be able to get a wrench on it to tighten it. Supposedly it can be done with a crowfoot setup, but I have never been able to do it. Angle the fitting slightly towards the body to avoid interference with the rocker. It's a bit of a fight to get it in place with the hose on.

I'll get measurements tomorrow.

The "union" I speak of is just an AN fitting that is male threaded on both ends to connect the female hose ends. Can't remember what to call it. If you could put a male fitting on the end on one hose and a female on the end of the other, you could join the hoses like Porsche did.
rick 918-S
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
SLITS
I screwed up ... I forgot he has an aftermarket tank so the inlet to the tank would be the same 3/4" AN fitting. All the BS about modification of the fittings for the inlet of the tank doesn't apply.

The other fitting is called a coupler like this one on ebay:
Male to Male coupler
SLITS
Line out of tank to 1st connector is about 11" overall.

2nd line to oil cooler is about 14" overall.
worn
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 17 2013, 08:14 AM) *

Line out of tank to 1st connector is about 11" overall.

2nd line to oil cooler is about 14" overall.

Thanks SLITS now I can order from Jegs or somewhere. Still haven't started on welding up the tank. Does anyone know why Porsche loves to run the oil line to the filter through the tank. Is it solely for placement of the filter on the tank as a unit?

Also, not to hijack the thread, but if anyone has pix of the inside of a 914-6 tank I would love to see the baffles. I already dissected an oil tank from an old 911, but I am not sure what the differences would be.

Seeing no reason other than history to run the line through the tank, I was thinking of a surface-mount filter housing at the original location on the fender, with the outlet plumbed into the tank. Reasons not to?
SLITS
A remote oil filter works just as well as the on tank oil filter console. The oil is filtered prior to being dumped in the tank so it is supposedly clean when entering the engine.

There is only one baffle in the stock tank ... a sieve of sorts at the top to get rid of entrained air.

Click to view attachment
patssle
Thanks for the info!

So the line going back into the tank from the engine doesn't need an angle or elbow - straight is fine?

Definitely going to get the output steel line cut and a new connector (prob AN 12) soldered on.
SLITS
The stock setup was a hard line from the scavenge pump port, forward to the firewall, with a dip to pass under the motor mount and it terminated just short of the engine shelf. From there, the commonly called short hose ran from the hard line thru a hole in the engine shelf to the oil tank. Straight connectors on both ends.

The hard line, where it attaches to the scavenge port fitting, was about a 90 degree bend with a dip to clear the heat exchangers and oil tubes. The line ran above the HEs and below the oil return tubes.
rick 918-S
Does anyone have good photos of a stock oil tank and lines? It would be nice to see how everything was connected. Since I recently acquired a 6 I'm even more curious.

Oh! I have some oil lines for a 928. They fit on the stock tank fittings smile.gif with the exception of the large one. dry.gif

Anyone know what size fitting the largest fitting is?

Is there a 911 hose that size?

rick 918-S
icon_bump.gif I suppose I should buy a manual some day biggrin.gif .. icon_bump.gif for the above question
Luke M
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 27 2013, 06:13 PM) *

Does anyone have good photos of a stock oil tank and lines? It would be nice to see how everything was connected. Since I recently acquired a 6 I'm even more curious.

Oh! I have some oil lines for a 928. They fit on the stock tank fittings smile.gif with the exception of the large one. dry.gif

Anyone know what size fitting the largest fitting is?

Is there a 911 hose that size?

Hi Rick,

I believe that I have the info if not I can go measure my oil lines later today.
I may also have some pics of the tank and lines.
Mark Henry
I'm cutting in my tank today smile.gif ...but it's a DWD tank.
Luke M
Rick,

The oil lines (supply) from the engine oil cooler to tank are 30 mm fittings and the return lines are 26 mm (steel and rubber back to tank). There's two oil lines that I do not have pics of for some reason. They are oil tank feed line to oil cooler line (which attaches at the hook) & oil tank return line from engine steel line to tank. I have a few pics for you to look at. The smaller steel line next to the factory 6 oil line is from PMS with an -12 AN fitting at one end.
rick 918-S
Thanks for posting those Luke! beerchug.gif
SLITS
1st section of hose from tank:
IPB Image
2nd section of hose to oil pump feed:
IPB Image
Scavenge outlet from engine:
IPB Image
Same:
IPB Image
Connections to lines running to/from front cooler:
IPB Image
Across front of engine to oil tank inlet:
IPB Image
Connection to stock oil tank inlet:
IPB Image
rick 918-S
Awesome photos Ron Thanks! Lots of plumbing!
worn
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 17 2013, 11:04 AM) *

A remote oil filter works just as well as the on tank oil filter console. The oil is filtered prior to being dumped in the tank so it is supposedly clean when entering the engine.

There is only one baffle in the stock tank ... a sieve of sorts at the top to get rid of entrained air.

Click to view attachment

OMG,
That is sweet. Let my TIGing begin! Thanks man. pray.gif
worn
Thanks to SLITS
Click to view attachment
I have added a few numbers and section labels
worn
QUOTE(worn @ Oct 30 2013, 10:07 AM) *

Thanks to SLITS
Click to view attachment
I have added a few numbers and section labels

Thanks again man! I am more than three quarters done with welding up my aluminum tank. I found this looking for a photo of the j-hook. The diagram is blown up full size on my wall and made into bucks.
Thanks again.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 17 2013, 03:04 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Never saw that tank blueprint before.
worn
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 9 2015, 08:28 AM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 17 2013, 03:04 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Never saw that tank blueprint before.

I will try to post. The two halves are pretty much done with all of the fittings welded on. I am waiting on some SS sieve material for the baffle. In the 911 tank I dissected the sieve had a step downwards into the oil so the bubbles apparently stayed mostly on one side of a vertical sieve baffle, while the oil moved across sort of horizontally. Anyone with thoughts about whether the straight shelf as originally designed or the vertical would be better? I would love to hear about them. Other than using AN fittings and not running the filter console tubes through the tank, the dimensions are very close to stock. Now that I am getting to know tig better I think I could weld in the console like Patrick does. I chose to form the metal from two sheets, rather than flat segments.

Still have to find the "J hook" photo.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.