Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: /4 motor: bent push rod(s)????
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
When McMark and I put the 1.8 into my car and drove it, I don't remember it being too loud..but we only drove it down the street and back....

a few weeks later while driving the car around the block, the throttle return spring came undone and went WOT while I was in neutral....

Mike Rose and I both think the motor has a metallic sound louder then it should be, what are the chances that I bent a push rod? I have the valve covers off right now and all the valves seem to be within the correct adjustment numbers...I'm going to see if my camera can record a sound file....
TheCabinetmaker
Very good (or bad) chance. Ask DD and Ed Mayo.
Mueller
just finished doing an R&R on the number 1&2 cylinder push rods, they look perfect, time to go hit the other side.....
Mueller
well......removed and inspected all 8 push rods, no signs of damage....car still has the strange sound IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE (Mueller @ Dec 19 2004, 07:00 PM)
well......removed and inspected all 8 push rods, no signs of damage....car still has the strange sound  :wacko:

if i'm not mistaken, brad said it sounded like it had euro pistons.
they are louder than other pistons when the car is cold. if it's gets quieter when warm, then you're good.

maybe ...

IPB Image Andy
gregrobbins
A friend recently was conderned when he over reved his engine and started to hear a different sound from his engine. Turns out that a seal had gone bad on a fuel injector. He replaced all four and the sound was back to normal.
Mueller
it could be piston slap...it does seem to get a little quiter after it warms up....

the motor does run good, I thought my clutch was slipping , turns out I was spinning the tires IPB Image

car has stock front and rear swaybars w/140's in the rear, don't have money for a bigger front bar, so I'll make a new adjustable arms for the stock bar to try and stiffen it a bit.....
McMark
Careful, you might find people lining up to buy adjustable arms for the stock sway bar. IPB Image
Mueller
QUOTE (McMark @ Dec 20 2004, 12:01 AM)
Careful, you might find people lining up to buy adjustable arms for the stock sway bar. IPB Image

the hard part will be finding a square drill bit or end mill IPB Image
McMark
How about this? No machining necessary. Just drilling and tapping. Blue is the sway bar end. Dark gray are bolts.
Katmanken
We usta do square holes.

Drill out a round hole, ram a sqare broach of the appropriate size through the round hole. Broach will shave the corners out a little at a time as it progresses through.

Sometimes ya get a little round from the hole in the center of the flat. But, with a square hole, the corners do the work.

Check machine tools for broaches.

Or, if you have a mill, use a 1/8 diam cutter to make the square hole and file the corners.

Ken
Mueller
Mark, I had a set of aftermarket bars with that assy method.....it's kinda ugly but it works....

Ken,

I've been putting off buying a broaching set, now would be a good "excuse" IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.