Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car lifts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
boxsterfan
Saw a lift in another thread and got me thinking and googling...

What lifts do people have for...let's say...constrained garages at home? (ie. 2-car garage that is not overly roomy).

DirectLift Pro 6MR

This one has a maximum raise of 52".
JmuRiz
Mine's got a big more lift than that...a bendpak hd9 4-post lift. It's possible to drop an engine between the ramps (not easy, but possible)biggrin.gif
bulitt
Eagle 4 post, 7000lb capacity. bought it 16 years ago. IT hurts when you hit your head on it... headbang.gif
Woody
QUOTE(bulitt @ Oct 15 2013, 08:53 PM) *

Eagle 4 post, 7000lb capacity. bought it 16 years ago. IT hurts when you hit your head on it... headbang.gif

I've been in the automotive business for 15 years now and if there's one thing I've learned its that all lifts hurt when you hit your head on them.
Type 47
I have a four post lift with jack trays. you can put a car on jack stands and double stack 2 cars in one space.

IPB Image

IPB Image
JStroud
I've got a 9000lb two post base plate lift, just bought it off craigslist, haven't got electrical wired to it yet, so haven't been able to use it yet.

Click to view attachment

Then I have a 6000lb low rise sissor lift, would fit in a garage, works for engine drops.......see.

Click to view attachment

Found it on craigslist too.

Jeff
mityrare
I enjoy two 4-post Direct lift Park Pros... love them

IPB Image
carr914
QUOTE(Woody @ Oct 15 2013, 09:57 PM) *

QUOTE(bulitt @ Oct 15 2013, 08:53 PM) *

I've been in the automotive business for 15 years now and if there's one thing I've learned its that all lifts hurt when you hit your head on them.

agree.gif I've got Scars to Prove it!

I've got a Rotary Revolution 7
drive-ability
single post type, moves around the garage quite easy.

IPB Image
914forme
I use an EZ Carlift, love the unit. piratenanner.gif

Not my car but you get the idea.
Krieger
Hey thats my car! Pretty cool lift. It goes up 27". This pic it is only part way up. It stores flat. Right now I have it standing on its edge vertically, chained to the wall. Its completely out of the way.
gandalf_025
Not sure of the make..Probably a made in china knock off..
Price was great and they delivered and assembled it. Wish I had another.

Quite a few scars on the head from it too..

Click to view attachment
Highland
This is my Harbor Freight scissor lift. I know how many feel about HF, but couldn't beat the price. I think it was about $1100 delivered and tax with a 15% coupon. I need to drive my car on 1.5" (2 X 12) boards to clear the lift during parking.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Scott S
I have an 10k asymmetrical two post Worth. It is pretty burley. The size of the arms has created some issues with very low cars, but I have always been able to get them racked one way or another. Another "con" is that it has an upper horizontal support that is way up there, so it requires a high ceiling.

I use it a ton (weekly at least) and it has performed flawlessly. It was under 3k installed.

Kansas 914
I have a cheap 8000LB rated storage lift. I have had it for 3 years.

I can get 3 cars in the single car side of my 3 car garage (glad 914s are small).

Room for 5 under roof in the Winter.

Click to view attachment
CptTripps
I was looking at this one last week. If I can figure out how to get 220v to my garage, I'll be all over it.

http://www.redlinestands.com/catalog/auto-...post-lift-p-508
Dr Evil
I prefer a 4 post
http://www.redlinestands.com/catalog/auto-...ing-lift-p-1109
OU8AVW
I have a Craftsman 2 ton floor jack and a nice collection of jack stands biggrin.gif
boxsterfan
QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Oct 16 2013, 12:03 PM) *

I have a Craftsman 2 ton floor jack and a nice collection of jack stands biggrin.gif

That's my setup too, but upcoming projects (and a better feeling of safety) are going to warrant me getting my 914 up on a lift.

I need to make a mental note to offer my services of "stirring the oil" in a few of these cars I see in peoples' shops/garages.
returf
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Oct 17 2013, 05:58 AM) *

I was looking at this one last week. If I can figure out how to get 220v to my garage, I'll be all over it.

http://www.redlinestands.com/catalog/auto-...post-lift-p-508

that's easy, just move your shed to New Zealand!!! av-943.gif
gasman
Click to view attachmentThis is a used Rotary two post lift. There is a guy who installs these in the Charlotte area. It cost $1100.00 installed with a new pump assembly right out of the box. He also threw in the new door bumpers.
6freak
purchase one that will lift every vehicle you own ...but not at the same time laugh.gif ...mines 9K and it struggles to lift my 1 ton Dodge! but it will do it

smile.gif
6freak
Click to view attachment

and i need to put dollys under the car because the arms dont go low enough..that stinks ...i need to set the post down bellow floor level
smile.gif
rfuerst911sc
Ammco scissor recessed into the floor.........love it.
mikesmith
Any thoughts on the Ranger QuickJack?

http://www.bendpak.com/Shop-Equipment/QuickJack/

I know it's not out yet, but I'm pretty tight for space and this looks like it's both built better than the EzCarLift and still compact and stackable.

= Mike
speed metal army
Click to view attachment
Used Cincinnati 7000lb 2 post. $500. Came out of a local Acura dealer. Love it!
CptTripps
Saw this on Craigslist today...I'm wondering how tough of a fix this would be. The price is right!

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/tls/4134040888.html
naro914
Direct Lift 4 post Love it, though Papa Smurf hasn't been in our garage in over a year... sad.gif right now, there's a 'secret project' car on it...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

jvmarino
A bit envious of all the large garages (filled with expensive 4-wheeled toys). I am a bit tight on garage space myself, so when I decided to get myself a birthday gift a few years back for my small fleet of toys, I picked up one of the Danmar MaxJax portable 2-post lifts when they had a sale price. A bit pricier than some of the full size lifts, but allows me to fit it in my small garage, and still gives me 48" of lift to work off a creeper (or my knees) with.

Attached is a picture with my Alfa GTV on it (the 914 was away in my winter storage location when the picture was taken).
doorknobcollector
Click to view attachment

Bendpak HD-9--About 3k, and I was able to install myself, it really isn't that difficult (as long as you have a couple of stout friends come over to lift the ramps into place). Sorry, this is the only pic of the lift with the 914, it hardly ever needs the services...
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(OU8AVW @ Oct 16 2013, 12:03 PM) *

You appreciate a good lift as you get older. biggrin.gif By the way, there are some really nice lifts in some even nicer garages out there. Lookin' good. first.gif
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Oct 17 2013, 05:17 AM) *

Saw this on Craigslist today...I'm wondering how tough of a fix this would be. The price is right!

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/tls/4134040888.html

Someone is going to get a great deal !
dcheek
I'm thinking of buying an Atlas BP8000 2 post lift from Greg Smith Equipment. $1495.00 plus shipping.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-BP8000

Anybody have one? If so how do you like it?

Dave
turk22
QUOTE(mikesmith @ Oct 17 2013, 12:39 AM) *

Any thoughts on the Ranger QuickJack?

http://www.bendpak.com/Shop-Equipment/QuickJack/

I know it's not out yet, but I'm pretty tight for space and this looks like it's both built better than the EzCarLift and still compact and stackable.

= Mike

QUOTE(jvmarino @ Oct 17 2013, 01:10 PM) *

A bit envious of all the large garages (filled with expensive 4-wheeled toys). I am a bit tight on garage space myself, so when I decided to get myself a birthday gift a few years back for my small fleet of toys, I picked up one of the Danmar MaxJax portable 2-post lifts when they had a sale price. A bit pricier than some of the full size lifts, but allows me to fit it in my small garage, and still gives me 48" of lift to work off a creeper (or my knees) with.

Attached is a picture with my Alfa GTV on it (the 914 was away in my winter storage location when the picture was taken).

The QuickJack looks like a pretty nice solution. And I've been trying to convince myself I can't live without the MaxJax for about a year now...

I too am envious of all the cool lift and garage combos. so cool
injunmort
bendpak mid rise scissor lift, don't know how I survived without it.
zambezi
QUOTE(dcheek @ Oct 17 2013, 05:16 PM) *

I'm thinking of buying an Atlas BP8000 2 post lift from Greg Smith Equipment. $1495.00 plus shipping.

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-BP8000

Anybody have one? If so how do you like it?

Dave

I have an Atlas that I purchased from Greg Smith Equip. but it is not the model your looking at. I did not have a restriction on height, but none the less I do like the Atlas lift. I installed it myself in about a day and it is very stable.
Click to view attachment
budk
Bendpak HD-9. Great for storing the 914 as well as working on the other cars.

If I had the room I would have gotten the extra tall version. I think it's 3ft longer and would not have fit very well, but it would have allowed me to store the car without having to duck my head all the time.

Brian_Boss
I have a Nussbaum SPL900 (made in Germany) but I'm too embarrassed to show a pic of the shop right now.

They have gotten pretty pricey since I got mine 7 or 8 years ago, probably due to the weak dollar. If you happen across a used one, they are very well made and parts are available.
jimkelly
see below
jimkelly
I got these little angels - its time to at least get better floor jacks.
sixnotfour
beer3.gif 1993 storage ..........2 post..also
zambezi
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 18 2013, 07:15 PM) *

beer3.gif 1993 storage ..........2 post..also

Do you drive a car off the lift onto the rear platform? If you do that is an interesting way to utilize space. I did a similar design when I needed to move with a U-haul and 2 cars. I rented a Uhaul box van (the biggest they had) and a car hauler trailer. I drove the first car on the trailer then turned the uhaul around and drove the car off the trailer into the uhaul, then put car two on the trailer. Packed all my belongings around the car in the uhaul.
JmuRiz
Looks like the back car is on a platform, like a pallet rack.
brp986s
I got a bendpak mdx6 scissor lift that I'm happy with. Ofcourse, getting the lift isn't the end - it's the beginning. After the lift, but before the kegerator or tv screens you'll want to ditch the assortment of furniture dollies, jacks, and chunks o'wood to get a hydraulic table. I got this one from mcmaster. Expensive, but I got scared of the HF unit after reading of the flimsy knobs and hair-trigger hydraulic.

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Oct 19 2013, 07:09 AM) *

cnc machine crate , I welded four legs and added 2x6 tongue and groove.

Yes raise one up roll onto table top, 9ft ceiling.
KELTY360
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 19 2013, 12:42 PM) *

QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Oct 19 2013, 07:09 AM) *

cnc machine crate , I welded four legs and added 2x6 tongue and groove.

Yes raise one up roll onto table top, 9ft ceiling.

Kind of surprised you haven't painted it.....GREEN. shades.gif
Daiberl
Mid-rise scissor from HF, very happy so far.

Click to view attachment
zambezi
QUOTE(Daiberl @ Oct 19 2013, 04:35 PM) *

Mid-rise scissor from HF, very happy so far.

Click to view attachment

Wow, that midrise goes much higher than I would have thought.
Jamie
QUOTE(mityrare @ Oct 15 2013, 06:24 PM) *

I enjoy two 4-post Direct lift Park Pros... love them

IPB Image

This Direct Lift looks exactly like the Atlas 4 post I just installed, purchased from BradSmith in Indy for $2K. This 8K capacity lift is very well made and I'm well pleased with the whole project. I had to use a 4 post because the slab in inclined, and it will mostly be used to expand storage for my teener on top and Cayman on the bottom.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.