Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
martinef1963
I have changed the seals and crush washer of the oil strainer twice and I continue to have an oil leak. I cleaned the area and rechecked and it appears to be coming from were the lid and the engine case meet.

I used a little Permatex High Tack Gasket Sealant, but no help. I have been careful not to over tighten the crush washer (twice).

Is it okay to seal the lid with Permatex Gasket Maker? Has anyone had to do this, also can there be another reason for this? If it is alright to use a gasket maker is Permatex the way to go?

I understand these engine leak oil, but I think the puddle that I am getting is too much for a day or two.

thanks,

Fern
76-914
I had that same thing on one engine. 3rd time I used Locktite 518 red gasket maker. I even put some on the threads of the 8mm bolts! It was dry 8 month's later when I sold it.
boxsterfan
QUOTE(martinef1963 @ Oct 16 2013, 10:23 AM) *

I have changed the seals and crush washer of the oil strainer twice and I continue to have an oil leak. I cleaned the area and rechecked and it appears to be coming from were the lid and the engine case meet.

I used a little Permatex High Tack Gasket Sealant, but no help. I have been careful not to over tighten the crush washer (twice).

Is it okay to seal the lid with Permatex Gasket Maker? Has anyone had to do this, also can there be another reason for this? If it is alright to use a gasket maker is Permatex the way to go?

I understand these engine leak oil, but I think the puddle that I am getting is too much for a day or two.

thanks,

Fern

Is the "lid" bent? I have taken mine off for oil change and once over recently and put it all back on using the same gaskets and no crush washer on the bolt. No leaks.

My taco plate on the other hand....is leaking...and I ordered a new o-ring and crush washers for that set to arrive this week.
martinef1963
I'm thinking I will go down the gasket maker way. I will check to see if the plate is bent.

thanks for the input.

Fern
luskesq
There are no 8 mm bolts on the oil sump plate on a 1.7 but I'm not certain what engine you have. I had a similar problem with my taco plate, in fact replaced the o-ring and crush washers several times with no sucess. Last time I used a little amount of Permatex non-hardening gasket sealer on the threads of the two bolts holding the plate on. That took care of that annoying leak.

If the sump plate isn't warped are you sure that you are tightening it enough? If you in fact are, I'd probably try some permatex but I would hope that others have a better suggestion.

Oil leaks are annoying so good luck,

Keith
rhodyguy
don't trust your 'feels like i need to tighten it a bit more' on the strainer cover. use your torque wrench. look at fig 18.14 p32 in your haynes manual. you'll see the strainer housing and the stud with the eye on what would be the top side retaining stud. over tighten and you can break the case where the eye retaining bolt lives. then you will have a PERMANENT leak.

k
euro911
It's something like 7 ft lbs, right?

I had a small leak, but still bothered me. I wiped it dry and smeared some Permatex around the bolt/nut a and it stopped. Doesn't look pretty, but so what biggrin.gif
URY914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 18 2013, 06:23 AM) *

don't trust your 'feels like i need to tighten it a bit more' on the strainer cover. use your torque wrench. look at fig 18.14 p32 in your haynes manual. you'll see the strainer housing and the stud with the eye on what would be the top side retaining stud. over tighten and you can break the case where the eye retaining bolt lives. then you will have a PERMANENT leak.

k

^^^ agree.gif . You can cause MAJOR damage by over tightening.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.