Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for recommendations for decent torque wrench.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Krieger
I would like something that reads 50-150# ish. I am not a shop. I have a pointer type I like for 0-100. I don't like digital because I don't want to mess with batteries. Standard clicker type is good. Home depot had a Husky brand for $85...
Funny as I just bought one. Here's my details: in 2005 I bought a SK brand @$150.00. I used it for "one" engine build. Since then its been in the case. The last two months I've been attempting at building a type4....the other day when I had it out. The adjusting device came loose! Needless to say, I inquire with SK, sorry as we just bought the name and we no longer make that unit. Stay away from SK!
I search and uncover that CDI a division of Snapon makes all of their tq wrenches...looked up CDI on web and bought their $330 clicker type for only $162 since it's on sale now. Reviews were good too!
Good luck

I have a Sears unit for changing wheels. Now the new one will be for precise engine components. Some one mentioned a $40-$85 unit. Well as in life, you get what you pay for. In my case, new motor is not worth a fastener coming apart due to an inaccurate reading.
Krieger
Hmmm amazon has a couple different 30-250 cdi units. One for 122 one for $142...Thanks. any other peoples?
carr914
Look in Pawn Shops for a Snap-On
kshighlander
I purchased a Craftsmen 10 years ago and change a lot tires in SCCA SOLO Autox, still good today!
Randal
I bought a Cornwall torque wrench because I was doing the small bolts on my 3 piece Gotti wheels and needed super accuracy. Very happy with it.

Call this guy: Cornwall Truck, Curt 408 221-4539

He would probably ship to Santa Rosa.

Also search www.zimkiv.com for snap on's in Nor Cal. (The site wasn't working tonight, but assume it will be tomorrow).
Type 47
QUOTE(Krieger @ Oct 16 2013, 06:29 PM) *

I would like something that reads 50-150# ish. I am not a shop. I have a pointer type I like for 0-100. I don't like digital because I don't want to mess with batteries. Standard clicker type is good. Home depot had a Husky brand for $85...

I have a digital Craftsman...I like it but you do have to deal with the batteries. I have to remove them a lot b/c I don't want to have them in it when i'm not using it.

The suggestion above are solid advice.
Dave_Darling
I had a cheapie Chinese torque wrench for a decade or so. Every time I checked it against the beam-type, it was dead-on. I finally dumped it when the ratchet gave out.

I have low-range Craftsman ones, and a regular-range Snap-On one that I was able to buy at a discount a few years back. I haven't had any of them adjusted; I probably should if I actually want to rely on them again.

--DD
type47
I probably will be flamed to suggest this but Harbour-Freight has very inexpensive torque wrenchs for sale. That said however, I don't have a HF wrench.
billh1963
QUOTE(Randal @ Oct 16 2013, 11:45 PM) *

Also search www.zimkiv.com for snap on's in Nor Cal. (The site wasn't working tonight, but assume it will be tomorrow).

Zimkiv has been down for a couple of days. Craigslist has probably squashed it like they do all the really good non-google based craigslist search engines
SLITS
QUOTE(type47 @ Oct 17 2013, 03:53 AM) *

I probably will be flamed to suggest this but Harbour-Freight has very inexpensive torque wrenchs for sale. That said however, I don't have a HF wrench.

I have all three of theirs ... 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" .... they work just fine for me, but then my elbow is calibrated. lol-2.gif
Krieger
Pawn shops... Thats right. They usually have a good selection of tools. Thanks
Randal
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Oct 17 2013, 04:04 AM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Oct 16 2013, 11:45 PM) *

Zimkiv has been down for a couple of days. Craigslist has probably squashed it like they do all the really good non-google based craigslist search engines

It's still down. mad.gif

Who was the member that made the site? BTW best search engine for buyers of anything (period). Sure hope it comes back.
6freak
QUOTE(kshighlander @ Oct 16 2013, 08:40 PM) *

I purchased a Craftsmen 10 years ago and change a lot tires in SCCA SOLO Autox, still good today!

me too ...and no ?? or BS when returned for anyreason

GO HAWKS smile.gif
Elliot Cannon
Does anyone get their torque wrenches calibrated on a regular basis or are they tossed in a drawer and forgotten about till next time? Mine has never been calibrated.
boxsterfan
I bought one from Harbor Freight 10 years ago. Works great today still. I don't use it very much to be honest, but when I need it the job gets done.
worn
QUOTE(type47 @ Oct 17 2013, 02:53 AM) *

I have literally I think a ton of HF tools. They creep me out because they are too cheap. I haven't been able to break very many of them though, and those were all plastic flashlights.

So I bought a torque wrench from Harbor Freight. Put it onto a name-brand wrench and twisted them against each other. Always clicked at the same torque. Had them quite while now and in fact I do trust them. One problem with multiple models is the clamping mechanism can come loose when you aren't watching. When that happens the value drifts. So with any of the torque wrenches be suspicious if the thing doesn't click when you expect it to. Check to see if something is wrong.
worn
QUOTE(worn @ Oct 17 2013, 12:13 PM) *

Yeah and pawn shops. Great source.
JamesM
QUOTE(Krieger @ Oct 17 2013, 05:37 AM) *

Pawn shops... Thats right. They usually have a good selection of tools. Thanks

...that were most likely stolen out of someone's truck smile.gif
carr914
QUOTE(6freak @ Oct 17 2013, 01:24 PM) *

QUOTE(kshighlander @ Oct 16 2013, 08:40 PM) *

me too ...and no ?? or BS when returned for anyreason

GO HAWKS smile.gif

I had a Craftsman that cracked around the ratchet - they would not take it back

Sears & Craftsman are not what they used to be!
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(carr914 @ Oct 17 2013, 07:20 PM) *

I had a Craftsman that cracked around the ratchet - they would not take it back

Sears & Craftsman are not what they used to be!

Yeah that was weird T.C. Though for sure something would fail internally before the casting would.

I just used a Snap-on digital wrench at Sebring. It buzzes when you hit the torque setting. Way cool. Like SLITS I still trust my own instinct more though for most stuff.

I've learned that whatever model wrench you have, caring for it goes a long way. Keeping sand out of them and an occasional shot of WD-40 helps keep them more accurate, longer.
iamchappy
I have a snap-on 3/8's drive wrench up to 100lbs, and a 1/2 drive 250lbs Huskey that i purchased at the Home Depot that was relatively inexpensive that i use all the time, works great on those axle nuts.....
old dog
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 17 2013, 11:01 AM) *

Does anyone get their torque wrenches calibrated on a regular basis or are they tossed in a drawer and forgotten about till next time? Mine has never been calibrated.

Hi Elliot,
I check mine against others in the shop and get them calibrated every 4 to 5 years. The ones used for engines are dedicated and checked before any "build ". The clicker types can occasionally "hang" and not click. An elbow calibrated by 40 years of engine building can come in handy. I have used craftsman, Mac and Snap-On and have never seen any difference between them. Recalibration comes at any reading that is off by 1 ft/lb. on the engine dedicated wrenches. I'm not as picky with the one used for lug nuts.

Check it against one belonging to someone else that is in the same range.

Bill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.