Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Products for weenies
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
Got new tires last weekend (no, they aren't period correct) and wanted them mounted on my 40 y/o chromies (yes, they are period correct....just not factory options ((dealer))).
Long story short, we had a basement flood several years ago. 8 inches of muddy water on everything. Lost a lot but that's another story.

The chromes were stored on wood planks on the floor, but still got about 3 inches of muddy water on them. Cleaned them up quickly & put them in a crawl space. Four were sitting on bottom edges, one was facing upright. As it would happen some bugs decided to poop on the wheel that was facing upright. Minor damage but not discovered until I got the tires/wheels back from the shop. Apparently, bug guano is hard shit! Four wheels & tires just slapped on but the fifth was a mess. Specs of white bug guano everywhere.

So, I brought out my trust tube of Simichrome...20 years old! Went to work on the bad wheel for 5 minute and it was good as new (pic attached).

I bring this up because Simichrome is old school to car guys. Bikers love it. This compound is really invaluable to concours guys. It will clean/polish every metal there is, sometimes too much. I lost a Parade concours because I'd polished my headlight motors with this stuff, and the judge told me I'd had them chromed.

Point is, Simichrome is a valuable tool for concours guys, and cheap. At about 8 bucks a tube you'll get 15-20 years of use from it. Works great on any metal surface, just don't be too liberal or you'll end up with chrome like appearances.
Pat pat.gif
orthobiz
My 74 Bahia driver has polished Mahles and I have some Blue Magic. Wonder if the Magic or Simichrome would be best to touch up the sheen on these new wheels?

Paul
Niklas
I use Autosol. It is perfect for my use.

http://www.autosol.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1817

1970 Neun vierzehn
Paddy is right about the Simichrome . I have used it since 1966 when I got my first motorcycle. It's great for unpainted, metallic surfaces....really fantastic on chrome, and a little bit goes along way.
Simichrome has been part of my cleaning inventory these past 47 years and has been indispensable in keeping the 914 and my bikes sparkling.

And Pat, the wheels and tires are lookin' good. clap56.gif Show us a pic with the lug covers/hub caps that your going to use.

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Oct 17 2013, 07:39 PM) *

My 74 Bahia driver has polished Mahles and I have some Blue Magic. Wonder if the Magic or Simichrome would be best to touch up the sheen on these new wheels?

Paul

Paul,

If the wheels are polished, as in bare metal polished, I'd put my money on Simichrome to keep them beatimous. I've tried the others, but simi works so well on bare metal that I'll stay with it. It's inexpensive on eBay. Try it
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Oct 18 2013, 05:38 PM) *

Paddy is right about the Simichrome . I have used it since 1966 when I got my first motorcycle. It's great for unpainted, metallic surfaces....really fantastic on chrome, and a little bit goes along way.
Simichrome has been part of my cleaning inventory these past 47 years and has been indispensable in keeping the 914 and my bikes sparkling.

And Pat, the wheels and tires are lookin' good. clap56.gif Show us a pic with the lug covers/hub caps that your going to use.

Paul

Pr our discussion last night, I'll use the caps with crests. Pics should be forthcoming.
orthobiz
I might be missing something here, Pat. Does your car actually move on it's own power?

Paul stirthepot.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Oct 19 2013, 08:14 PM) *

I might be missing something here, Pat. Does your car actually move on it's own power?

Paul stirthepot.gif

Soon, my friend, soon!
Pat Garvey
On the ground for the first time since I was in my 50's!

Going to have a full mechanical redo over the winter. On the road by late Spring.
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 21 2013, 07:52 PM) *

Going to have a full mechanical redo over the winter. On the road by late Spring.

Shiny!! beerchug.gif
JawjaPorsche

Shiny!! beerchug.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Oct 21 2013, 07:20 PM) *

Shiny!! beerchug.gif

I guess shiny is relative. The 914 has been on stands since 2006, and protected indoors with 2 car covers. I was readying it for the Hershey Parade concours and had job changes. Lost interest for 6 years and am now reinvigorated into putting it back on the road. That shiny body is hiding mechanicals that have not been tested in 7 years. Lots of work to be done. Thankfully, the body and chassis are still perfect.

There will be lots of posts about this car after the new year. It WILL be back on the road in the spring. Can't do it myself anymore, but it will be done. Hang the expense!
Pat pat.gif
rgolia
Pat,

look me up........willing to lend a hand to get her back on the road. beerchug.gif
dcheek
Pat,
I knew you couldn't give it up. Great news. I look forward to reading about your progress.

Dave
euro911
Looking good, Pat.

I can still do some mechanical stuff myself, but I usually pay for it for several days afterwards dry.gif
orthobiz
Hey Pat, how's the sponges holding out?

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.