Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Anyone know how to make a murphy bed?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chunger
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone here's made a murphy bed, and what mechanism you used. . . or better yet, if you made your own mechanism and will let me copy it IPB Image

I keep coming up with a couple of companies on the internet, but I've seen different, better mechanisms before. . .

-'Chung
GWN7
There is THIS site. they sell the mechanisms. Looks simple, angle iron bolted to the sides. Eight springs attached to the header to add tension when it's lowered. Then all you would need is to build the cupboard to hide it in....
seanery
My dad built one for my brother a couple years ago, but unfortunately he's going into the hospital for surgery and will be unavailable for a while IPB Image
TimT
I built my a MUrphy bed wehen I lived in a Co-Op years ago. A company in NYC sold the bed frame/mechanism. All I did was build a Birch plywood cabinet around it. It came out really nicely looked furniture grade when I was done.
IronHillRestorations
I've got a Murphy bed in my office. Hi Ho Silber (Dave) used it the other night. It's "store bought" though. It folds up at the headboard, and has cables and a hydraulic dampener in it.

You might try Woodworker's Supply. They have some great hardware.
Brando
This is by far the happiest homosexual I have ever seen.

IPB Image
Sparky
Check Rockler.com I know at one time they sold the mechanisms. I just got my pocket screw jigs from them and can't wait to make something.

My best,
Mike D.
scooter311
I dont' know how to make a murphy bed, but I do know how to make a Venetian blind......
chunger
thanks for the Rockler lead. . . they're offering the mechanism at a lower price than I've seen elsewhere.
redshift
QUOTE (scooter311 @ Dec 20 2004, 03:52 PM)
I dont' know how to make a murphy bed, but I do know how to make a Venetian blind......

HAH!

M
Root_Werks
QUOTE (Brando @ Dec 20 2004, 10:07 AM)
This is by far the happiest homosexual I have ever seen.

IPB Image

IPB Image IPB Image "Not that there is anything wrong with that." IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.