Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: future 914 owner maybe?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buffmechanic
hi! i was looking around local ads for a project car i can work on and have something to do during the winter and learn how to fix cars and i saw this

http://www.bismanonline.com/1975_porsche_914

https://sites.google.com/site/minotporsche914/

thoughts? i was talking to the seller and he told me he might say yes to my offer of only $500, is it worth it? problems he said was the valves and running boards are rusted.

thanks! hope you guys can help dont want it to slip away.
damesandhotrods
With 914s, rust is the deal breaker. These cars are a monocoque construction. It doesn’t take much rust to become structural. Repair involves cutting and welding, there is very little on the body that is bolted on. More pictures are needed, but when the owner says it’s rusty, it is probably a parts car…
porschefile2010
agree.gif
buffmechanic
aaw okei dokei makes me sad but thanks for the replies! seems like alot of people tell me the same thing =(
SLITS
If it is close enough to you, read about the problem areas on this site and go look at the vehicle.
ky914
It may just be me, but $500 seems like a good price for a parts car.
Chris H.
agree.gif As a parts car you can probably at least break even on that one if it has an engine for $500. I would guess you could make a few bucks. And you can learn a lot about how a 914 goes together and then find a nicer one.

Or you might be surprised and it's just surface rust...

av-943.gif lol-2.gif laugh.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif lol-2.gif laugh.gif
billh1963
It's has taken me lots of 914's, lots of $$, and lots of time to finally realize the wisdom that is so freely shared on this board...

BUY THE BEST CAR YOU CAN AFFORD!

Only buy a $500 car if you want the hassle of dealing with a parts car.

If you want a car you can enjoy and tinker with over time, start with a nice car (typically $5K or more) and you will be thousands of dollars ahead in the long run.

I'm not the first to have learned this lesson the hard way and won't be the last sad.gif
green914
agree.gif For $500 it is a parts car. It could be fun taking it apart smile.gif happy11.gif
ben*james
BUY IT. wink.gif. Cut your teeth on it. Don't dump any money into it because you are going to scrap it at some point and buy a better one. Cut it up, take it apart, separate parts, learn the car. Make mistakes. Lots of them. If I had the time and the shop...oh man I'd love it.
KELTY360
QUOTE(ben*james @ Oct 18 2013, 08:26 AM) *

BUY IT. wink.gif. Cut your teeth on it. Don't dump any money into it because you are going to scrap it at some point and buy a better one. Cut it up, take it apart, separate parts, learn the car. Make mistakes. Lots of them. If I had the time and the shop...oh man I'd love it.

agree.gif Look at it as a project car, except that it's not one you're going to get running. Taking it apart will really get you familiar with the car and you can make some money on it or harvest a bunch of parts for a better project car. From the pics there are some good parts: wheels, console, 916 nose piece, etc.

Who knows, it may be more solid than it sounds, but that is a loooongshot.
buffmechanic
Thanks for the replies! Will be checking it out tomorrow and will take alot of pics of it and will post it up here asap if its anygood haha
CptTripps
agree.gif with what everyone else has said.

There are so many decent cars that buying a bad one...in order to fix it up isn't worth the time/money.

IF you want to do the whole thing yourself and don't mind spending (ultimately) much more money...than go for it!

Post pics though!

buffmechanic
passed by to take pics of it =)

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
billh1963
Nice parts car
SirAndy
Rust bucket ... dry.gif

BUT, what is the paint code on this one? idea.gif

Please tell me you looked at the tag and it said "98" ...
w00t.gif
914_teener
Got dibs on the passenger side mirror.

JawjaPorsche
The wooden dash should be worth something! biggrin.gif
Elliot Cannon
Do you work on B-52's?
moparrob
Buy one done that someone has dumped 20,000 into and is willing to sell for $10,000.

Then take up a new hobby with the money and time you saved.
sixnotfour
73-2.0 non running, helhole rust...OG paint, Blk int,(stiff),2.0,side shift banana muffler, bill of sale..legit.. zambezi green $900.00
https://www.facebook.com/jeff.hines.35?hc_location=timeline
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.