Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just a thought for the Admins
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spare time toys
Why couldnt you set up a link page? I see folks talk about look on the bird board, or this place has a part ,or look at so and sos' site. If you dont know the web address its a pain to find some times. I dont think a link page or just web add. page would be indorsing good or bad for a vendor. You could protect it by only an admin can add to it and no coments about them just where to go on the internet to get to it. I think this would be a help.
Thanks for all you guys do and have a good Holidays..
Part Pricer
Larry,

I think that is a great idea and I believe that it has been suggested before. Probably the best way of going about this would be to use a Free-For-All-Links (FFAL) script so that it could be easily managed. That way, members could 'submit' links and they could be validated and administered from one control panel. I use this approach on a couple of sites and it works out extremely well. Most scripts can automatically check for dead links as well.

Additionally, if we were so inclined, it could be used to generate funds for the club by selling 'sponsored' listings.
spare time toys
I dont know about the sponsored link it may put unwanted presure to stick up for some place that sells crap because they are a sponsor. If it went that way I could see like on the corvette forum I used to go to alot where down the side of the page they had little windows with a logo that a sponsor could buy and you click on it and it took you to them. What I was first asking about was like a FAQ page with just web addreses
Part Pricer
We had a brief discussion regarding this yesterday. Tonight, when I got home, I threw something together pretty quickly so people could get the idea regarding what I was talking about. The link is below.

This setup allows everyone to suggest sites to be included. The admin panel is pretty simple to use. It is set up so as not to publish new submissions until they have been validated. It also can be set to update hits and ratings automatically on predefined intervals.

As you will see, it takes its style and layout from this site. When this site changes, so do these pages. However, there are a couple of slight glitches from where I appropriated Jeroen's code. I realize it's not perfect just yet. But, the layout issues can be easily remedied.

I think this is what Larry was looking for. Does it make sense to anyone else? If it does, we could move it to the club site.

Try it. Kick it. Do a search. I'll check back later.

914 Links
Mueller
looks good, not too sure how I feel about the "rating" system....if someone gives me a "1", can I hit "10" everyday until my average is better? IPB Image
Part Pricer
QUOTE (Mueller @ Dec 21 2004, 09:28 PM)
looks good, not too sure how I feel about the "rating" system....if someone gives me a "1", can I hit "10" everyday until my average is better? IPB Image

Yes you can. But, the rating system is easily eliminated.
Gint
Awesome job Paul! I like it.
Rhodes71/914
I looked for this when I first found the site. I think it is a great idea and should be added.
That layout looks good.
spare time toys
Yea thats the ticket. I like it.
dinomium
I hate it!
I just wanted to be different. Very kewl!!
bperry
I think this is fantastic!
I think it would be very helpful for lots of folks including myself.

How about rather than showing "Top Rated" it shows "Top Referenced" or "Most Popular"?
Kind of like google scoring but show the links for the pages that are
looked at the most. That way you avoid people doing arbitrary rankings and
the most popular links will tend to migrate up to the top.
Might have to ensure that only pages viewed by logged in
people affect the popularity of a link to try to reduce the possibility of anonymous robots
from referencing pages and bumping popularity.

Also, it would be nice to ensure that not just anybody could modify
a resource. Somehow only allow creators of a link to modify them.
Might have to ensure that only people that are logged in can
add/modify links.

--- bill
Part Pricer
Thanks for the comments guys. Let me address some of them.

Once the database of links is not so new, the links will appear in their categories ordered by:
1. New Links (added within the last 14 days - number of days can be changed)
2. Popular (the top 3% of all sites ranked according to actual hits. This is the number of people that have actually followed the link - again this can be changed to another percentage)
3. If a link is not new or popular, they are then listed in alphabetical order.

There seem to be some concerns regarding the rating system. Should it be turned off?

What about categories? The ones that you see there now I added very quickly with very little thought. Any suggestions for categories or category structure?

Finally, the power of this system is that everybody can contribute. Hint, hint.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.