Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cam gear bolts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
OU8AVW
I'm installing my Web cam that I got from Raby. My cam gear bolts did not come with the star washers described on the Bug Me video. Are these required? Was it something that they forgot?
Harpo
Did you get the gear from Jake as well? Mine didn't come with washers because the gear was spot faced to allow the heads of the bolts to be more recessed so they will not interfere with the oil pump. I would just use locktite.

Hope this helps

David
OU8AVW
QUOTE(Harpo @ Oct 19 2013, 07:42 AM) *

Did you get the gear from Jake as well? Mine didn't come with washers because the gear was spot faced to allow the heads of the bolts to be more recessed so they will not interfere with the oil pump. I would just use locktite.

Hope this helps

David

Ok, mine was spot faced too. No mention of locktight in the instructions. Properly torqued bolts shouldn't need locktight.....
injunmort
tell that to the british, I would use locktite for piece of mind.
HarveyH
The PO had the engine done about 2-3 years before I bought the car. They were out of business by then, didn't use Loctite on the cam gear bolts either. After I had the car about 4-5 years (total about 4k miles from rebuild) it started ticking inside the case. My mechanic found the bolts had walked out and ate the oil pump. He also found they had used short lengthys of hex key instead of the main bearing locating dowels....

Extra care here is probably a good idea!!!!
DBCooper
Wow, I've heard bad, but that may be the worst. You need to hunt those people down and give them all serious beatings. As a public service and for the public safety. Really. That's bad.

Yes, Loctite, just good practice and nothing to lose.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.