Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Last weekends tasks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
david63
Decided to do the oil change, install the K&N air filters and installed the Camp 914 rear trunk shock kit.

The oil change on the 914-6 is not as easy as on a 911 because there is no drain plug on my oil tank. I purchased one of those suction things from Groits Garage years ago and it works great. Brad Penn 20W-50, new filter and it was done.

The K&N's went on easy and the pretty powdercoated steel air cleaner will go into storage (love the sound, don't drive the car in bad weather and did I mention I love the sound. I am crystal clear in my understanding that there is a lot of mixed opinions about the stuff that may get past these filters).

The Camp 914 rear shock kit was fairly easy to install. Some fasteners not exactly what I wanted to use so I upgraded to some old metric Porsche stuff I had. Cutting up the car is nerve wracking and I ended up cutting more of a notch in the passenger side than I wanted to. Removing the old torsion bars was easy. I had no desire to re-use them so I put a bunch of zip ties on them to keep them from flying aroung and used my cut off wheel. No drama. Love the fact that I have taken the load off of that trunk hinge now.
Cap'n Krusty
I see you chose to exchange filtration for noise .....................

The Cap'n
david63
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 19 2013, 12:37 PM) *

I see you chose to exchange filtration for noise .....................

The Cap'n

Not surprised that some folks think this is a bad idea... My risk asssessment of this took into account the number of miles I put on the car per year and the type of weather that I drive the car in.

I did read a bunch of threads on this topic and I feel like there are a lot of arguments on both sides of the subject. Several folks that put a lot of miles on their cars indicated that they did not see the excessive engine wear from lack of "filtration" and then there were folks that said otherwise. Controversial topic no doubt...

I do like the "noise" as you put it... As a matter of fact I am in the process of gutting a 911 muffler to build a sport muffler as per the instructions that I found on 914World. I really love the "noise" that the 3.0 makes at high RPM's.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.