Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What oil to use
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ben*james
Any suggestions for the optimal oil to use, brand and weight. Oregon is a moderate climate most of the driving is done within the speed limit (not sport).

Click to view attachment

I refuse to upload a picture so you can actually see it headbang.gif
pcar916
If it has no leaks I'd run a high-zinc 20w-50 synthetic. Brad Penn is good. Otherwise a high-zinc dino oil.
Luke M
Here I'll fix the pic for you.... happy11.gif

As for motor oil I would say 20w-50 of your favorite brand should be fine..
ben*james
Thanks Ron. No leaks biggrin.gif

Damn you Luke. poke.gif
sixnotfour
http://www.shell.com/rotella/products/tpl-pro.html

I had been using, Brad Penn would leak like crazy this not so much??
just my experience..wallmart has good deals on also..
shoguneagle
I use Mobil 1, 10/40 Synthetic; keep the same oil as I use on the Vette only a different grade. Original specs????

I just moved to Oregon from Arizona and am interested in comments.

Steve
SLITS
I use 20 - 50 Kendall GT with Liquid Titanium in my 2.7L. Has the appropriate ZDDP level.
pcar916
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 19 2013, 03:37 PM) *

I had been using, Brad Penn would leak like crazy this not so much??
just my experience..wallmart has good deals on also..

I ran Mobil-1 (100% synthetic) in both the '84 (3.2L) and the '95 (3.6L) and didn't have any problems with leakage. But no ZDDP content killed valve guides in both engines. Experiences vary to be sure, but if I got a truly dry engine I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

I have friends that run Rotella in everything they own. It' good oil, but Zinc is the answer to lots of wear problems, especially with valve guides. I won't run anything other than high-zinc in the older engines.
ben*james
QUOTE(shoguneagle @ Oct 19 2013, 01:55 PM) *

I use Mobil 1, 10/40 Synthetic; keep the same oil as I use on the Vette only a different grade. Original specs????

I just moved to Oregon from Arizona and am interested in comments.

Steve

I thought we all agreed that grants pass was not part of the pacific NW? poke.gif
Much better climate in souther oregon, truth be told. Welcome to the great state of oregon anyway. driving.gif
r_towle
Shell rotella in my 1984 911 with a 3.2 and it works great.

Nice part is it's available at most parts stores and truck stops.
sixnotfour
I have friends that run Rotella in everything they own. It' good oil, but Zinc is the answer to lots of wear problems, especially with valve guides. I won't run anything other than high-zinc in the older engines.

The key is Triple= Rotella T
r_towle
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 20 2013, 01:10 PM) *

The key is Triple= Rotella T

Yup, read the bottles
ben*james
Seems like a lot of rotella t supporters. Good enough for me. Thank you all!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.