Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My New Garage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jd74914
I'm so excited. IPB Image Yesterday we finished our garage at about 9pm, and right after we finished cleaning up it started snowing. IPB Image Now we have lots of snow with huge drifts in our yard.

Any ways, the garage has 3 bays, and each bay should be able to fit 2 cars. Only problem is, the garage is already filled with cars. We have 2 914's, a 911, and a '50 Ford F-1 project to put into it. Then, it has a full 24x36 room on top of the garage with a loft on top of that. It also is post and beam framing so there are no walls.

Now we just have to bring the cars home, It looks wrong having no cars in the garage.

Sorry no pictures at this time (its 10 degrees out, and I have the day off from school, so I'm too lazy to go out and take pics) IPB Image

Here's a sketch though. Jim
skline
We need pictures, not some grade school drawing. Get up and get out there and take some pictures. No kudo's till then.

IPB Image
tdgray
QUOTE (skline @ Dec 20 2004, 09:12 AM)
We need pictures, not some grade school drawing. Get up and get out there and take some pictures. No kudo's till then.

IPB Image

IPB Image You are'nt gettin' off that easy buster IPB Image
seanery
I think this is a farce. I won't believe it til I see great pictures. IPB Image
nynone4
Sounds very cool!! Let's see the real thing. IPB Image
jd74914
Heres a pic from out my bedroom window. More pics later (when it gets warmer).

The garage is underground, actually its built into the bank. It has 10' ceilings so we can put in a lift. The ground floor is totally open and is huge, we just got a wood stove for it yesterday. The loft is also huge because the roof has suck a steep pitch.

Later on I'll post pics of the front of it and the other side IPB Image
jd74914
I forgot, in the pic it looks square but the dimmensions are 24x36
skline
I need one of those, come out here and build one for me too. Oh, and go ahead and install the lift at the same time. IPB Image
Brando
Makes me want to move out to Nowhere's-Ville, buy an acre for cheap and develop it!
maf914
QUOTE (Brando @ Dec 20 2004, 09:58 AM)
Makes me want to move out to Nowhere's-Ville, buy an acre for cheap and develop it!

You may as well do it now, because nowhere is going to be somewhere someday, and you won't be able to afford it then. IPB Image

I'm able to offer this valuable insight, because I've been looking at property lately. I should have bought some nowhere before it became somewhere! IPB Image
Brando
like Prescott, AZ?
jd74914

IPB Image My parents bought the house and 14 acres 12 years ago (fyi- the house is 300 years old and still being retored, kinda like our cars) Funny thing is, I live in the middle of nowhere and Chris Foley (racer chris) lives 1/2 mile down the road

Now lots are about really expensive and everyone is developing them except us. If our lot was developed we would have nowhere to hide our cars from the evil taxcollector and his appraisals IPB Image
Rhodes71/914
When you get a chance show us some pics of the inside. I love timber frame construction. The next house I build will be timber frame construction.

Buy land now, they aren't making anymore. HIgh growth areas especialy. I'm currently in the process of selling my house and it is almost a crime what I am going to profit after only owning it for a short time.
URY914
What is that white stuff on the ground?

It was 40 degrees this morning. Winter has arrived in Florida. IPB Image

P
jd74914
When you get a chance show us some pics of the inside. I love timber frame construction. The next house I build will be timber frame construction.

Its not really "real" post and beam like our house is because its not mortised and tenioned (sp?), but is really cool. I'll take some pics of the inside and post them when I finally get out side to take pics of the rest.

The company that produced it (its a kit, sort of) is called country carpenters and they are great to deal with. It was kinda wierd, because of the price of plywood and 2x4's, this kit was actually compable to normal stick constructon.

Country Carpenters

We saved the extra money post and beam cost by escavating (my dad has some serious machinery), building the forms, pouring the foundation and assembling the kit ourselves.

It was 40 degrees this morning. Winter has arrived in Florida. biggrin.gif

That's not funny Paul IPB Image

Sorry I'm long winded, and I'll get some interior pics for you later IPB Image

Jim
STL914
Jim,

That would make a sweet 914 Bed & Breakfast for club members traveling out your way. IPB Image

You just need to install plumbing in the loft.
rick 918-S
More pictures please...... IPB Image
jd74914
As and ye shall recieve
jd74914
e3w
JmuRiz
Looks like a house to me, with a garage in the basement!!!
jd74914
we didn't have enough shiplap to finish the botton (about 20 boards too short) but they are comming this week and will be on soon
Root_Werks
IPB Image Danq, that is just beautiful! Great job! IPB Image
jd74914
Oh, the backhoe in the last post is the only reason we could escavate. All the ground around here is really rockly (lots of ledge) so its wicked had to dig in. On one piece we ripped open the bucket (1" thick steel) and had to weld it back together again. Digging here sucks. Ledge is the reason it isn't closer to the house IPB Image
jd74914
drooley.gif Danq, that is just beautiful! Great job! smilie_pokal.gif

Thanks Dan. We've been waiting for 10 years for a garage like this.

JmuRiz here's the real house and barn IPB Image IPB Image
jd74914
Heres some of the post and beam for Rhodes71/914
jd74914
only a few more
seanery
I am oh so jealous! IPB Image
jd74914
ads
jd74914
I am oh so jealous! drooley.gif

thats what we've said about other people's garage forever

For the guys who said we live in the middle of nowhere, heres a picture from out the loft window. Note: The space the barn was on looked like this 6mos ago too IPB Image IPB Image
martinef1963
I'm very envious - looks like all the space you will ever need.

Congrats.
jd74914
looks like all the space you will ever need.

IPB Image nope. all the bays have already been claimed (with porsche content of course). My dad wants to build a leanto off the side with 2 more bays for the rest of our cars (especially this '50 ford f-1, my next project IPB Image ). In my family there is no such thing as too many cars or too big a garage IPB Image

Thanks for the complements guys IPB Image IPB Image
JmuRiz
QUOTE (seanery @ Dec 21 2004, 12:40 PM)

IPB Image
I have 3 motorcycles and 2 cars, with only a one-car townhouse garage. Someday I'll have a 2-car....maybe more.
markb
QUOTE (seanery @ Dec 21 2004, 12:40 PM)

IPB Image IPB Image
scottb
you don't just happen to have an extra set of blue prints laying around for that do you?!?! IPB Image

that is almost exactly what i want to build on my lot but with probably 2 bays rather than 3 and siding to match my house.

and if you can offer any info on the contractor that would be appreciated as well.

i'm gonna wait until it is warm though. too friggin cold 'round here right now.....
jd74914
Scott,

The structure came in a kit from Country Carpenters (hebron, CT). Their website is

Country Carpenters

We assembled it ourselves (my dad and grandpa are both skilled carpenters) and we poured the also poured the foundation ourselves. IPB Image I'm not sure exactly how it works because my dad dealt with them. I guess their prices were good compared to other post and beam building suppliers. (Also blueprints came with the kit)

Give 'em a call IPB Image

Jim

I forgot: We have the one story model and we built it over the garage. And if you're really interested they have demo buildings set up at their shop to walk through.
bernbomb914
What a beautiful addition to your property. It will fit in very nice

Bernie
newdeal2
When I practiced Architecture in New York we used to convert buildings that size into houses!

Nice framing too IPB Image
Eric_Shea
Beautiful IPB Image
vortrex
one of the benefits to not living in the bay area!
jd74914
Thanks for the complements guys IPB Image

Nice framing too wink.gif

The huge beams were a b*tch to put up. They are about 14"x18" and atleast 12' long. They were also wet when we lifted them. We had only three guys, myself, my brother and my dad to lift them and we were exhausted after lifting all 9 of them. I'm glad its over now, though the work was always interesting. IPB Image
Rhodes71/914
Thanks for those interior shots. Looks very nice. Should be there for many many years.
jd74914
Anytime. I definately agree with you; timberframe stuff is awesome. House and barn are both post and beam, only the house is 300 years old and the barn is made to look it IPB Image
Brent
icon_bump.gif Brother in law and I talking home improvements. Any summer pics of the garage in action?
-B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.