Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any Tips or Tricks to get the Ball Joint Pin to Release?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carr914
I've used a whole can of PB Blaster & I've gotten the Pin to move a little out of the bottom of the Strut, but it won't come all the way out. Both Sides headbang.gif

I've never had this happen before. When I'm trying to pry the Ball Joint from the Strut, I'm literally lifting the front of the car off the Jack Stands!
rhodyguy
tapered pin version? the taper may still be hung up in the grove of the ball joint. you might have to resort to more aggressive measures. cut and and drive out with a punch or slightly smaller diameter piece of round steel stock and a bfh.
r_towle
Remove the ball joint from the control arm and pull the strut out so you can get it in a vice...
Dave_Darling
GABH. Get A Bigger Hammer. Air-powered is nice... smile.gif

--DD
Garland
I take it you have removed the bolt that retains joint to the strut housing first.
carr914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 20 2013, 06:06 PM) *

Remove the ball joint from the control arm and pull the strut out so you can get it in a vice...

I tried that 1st - I think this suspension was put in whole & it's all frozen up

I'm not going to re-use the A-Arms

Yes, the retaining Bolt is out (however there wasn't even a Nut attached to the Bolts on either side!)
r_towle
3 foot pipe wrench

Strap the car to the lift, or put it on the ground.

Never had one win against a long pipe wrench...

You could also cut the nut in half if you are tossing the control arms...
carr914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 20 2013, 06:10 PM) *

GABH. Get A Bigger Hammer. Air-powered is nice... smile.gif

--DD

Not sure how a Big Ass Hammer is going to do anything but damage.

Like I said, I don't think I'm that strong, but I'm lifting the car off the Jack-Stands trying to pry these suckers out
ThePaintedMan
T.C. I did mine without removing the strut. I supported the control arm with a jack, and a very small amount of upward pressure to keep the pin from binding up. Then I heated it really, really well with a MAPP torch. That's the big yellow can that you can buy at Autozone. Hit it with a good drift and a BFG and it came right out.
r_towle
Question...

What are you saving?

You could take out everything and start over....might be easier.
FourBlades

Are you talking about the pin on the top of the ball joint that goes vertically up into the body of the strut?

If you want to save the shocks from damage then I would cut through the pin below the strut and then drill what is left out. Start with a 1/4" in the middle and work your way up.

Or take it to a machine shop and have them drill it out.

I think people are confused about what you have stuck where. smile.gif

John
carr914
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Oct 20 2013, 09:02 PM) *

Are you talking about the pin on the top of the ball joint that goes vertically up into the body of the strut?

John

BINGO!

I will be replacing the A-Arms with 930 Style with Underbody Sway-Bar

I will probably just drop the Whole Suspension out
r_towle
Pull it out....it's what....12 fasteners....
ThePaintedMan
I'm gonna come over and try to lend a hand tomorrow night when I get off work. If we can't get the ball joints apart, we'll just drop the whole assembly.

I too was confused, but apparently TC got the tapered bolt out, but the ball joint is still stuck in the strut. I remember on mine that was a beehotch too, as you have to keep the strut in the same line/angle as the ball joint while hammering down on the a-arm to separate them, otherwise it binds.
McMark
Pickle fork?
carr914
I dropped the whole front Suspension - even that didn't want to come out! headbang.gif but I got it
carr914
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Oct 20 2013, 09:51 PM) *

I'm gonna come over and try to lend a hand tomorrow night when I get off work. If we can't get the ball joints apart, we'll just drop the whole assembly.

George I sent you a PM - no need to come over - it's done!
carr914
I can't believe somebody put this Rusty Shit on just to get the car to roll!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
r_towle
what rust....that is just a little surface corrosion.

Come on up here and take a run at a parts car.
Its all torch, sawzall and cutoff wheel...
Few wrenches needed.

Rich
carr914
I guess my Point was, the guy that had it between my 2 Ownerships was going to make it a Race Car for him & his Kid! Why not clean it up before you slap it on a car? It was all I could do to get that crap off.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 20 2013, 11:51 PM) *

Pickle fork?

That was going to be the plan of attack Mark, along with my trust MAPP torch. But looks like T.C. found a workaround beerchug.gif
carr914
This was a Bitch - it's not like I haven't done it before. Now I have to put the Poly-Bronze Bushings & MonoBall Pieces on. Got to get a few pieces from Bruce that I either misplaced or gave away!
gms
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Oct 20 2013, 05:31 PM) *

T.C. I did mine without removing the strut. I supported the control arm with a jack, and a very small amount of upward pressure to keep the pin from binding up. Then I heated it really, really well with a MAPP torch. That's the big yellow can that you can buy at Autozone. Hit it with a good drift and a BFG and it came right out.

NEVER heat the strut tower unless you remove the strut cartridge, it can explode from the expanding oil or gas
FourBlades
Will the explosion help loosen up the stuck pin? confused24.gif

Just sayin... biggrin.gif

John
gms
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Oct 21 2013, 08:11 PM) *

Will the explosion help loosen up the stuck pin? confused24.gif

Just sayin... biggrin.gif

John

try it and let me know how it works out for you biggrin.gif
ThePaintedMan
Never thought of that before, thanks for looking out for me Glenn. I only heated the pin and the area immediately surrounding, so I guess I lucked out. Something to consider for next time though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.