Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: I need recipes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Jenny
Hi guys. Sorry for the OT post. I'm dying here. Got braces on last thursday, and can't eat anything! I've lost 4lbs already. I'm quickly wasting away to normal. What the hell can I eat besides Jamba Juice (Yech! IPB Image ), mashed potatoes and apple sauce?

TIA,
Jen <-- So hungry.....
Sparky
Pudding lots and lots of pudding.
Umm liquid bread: Guinness
Yogurt
More liquid bread: Guinness
Tomato soup
Cream of Mushroom soup

My best,
Mike D. IPB Image
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Jenny @ Dec 20 2004, 11:48 AM)
Hi guys. Sorry for the OT post. I'm dying here. Got braces on last thursday, and can't eat anything! I've lost 4lbs already. I'm quickly wasting away to normal. What the hell can I eat besides Jamba Juice (Yech! IPB Image ), mashed potatoes and apple sauce?

TIA,
Jen <-- So hungry.....

i am sooooo the right person for you to talk to!!!

remember my jaw surgery?

what kind of food do you like....i can help.
skline
Go to the store and buy some Sobe Green tea, it has lots of healthy stuff in it for you and each bottle is 240 calories.
Aaron Cox
a bunch of recipes inmy jaw surgery thread here:
here

this is all from braces????
take advil....lots of it.

can you eat a PJ sandwhich?
Jenny
QUOTE (Sparky @ Dec 20 2004, 10:51 AM)
Pudding lots and lots of pudding.
Umm liquid bread: Guinness
Yogurt
Tomato soup
Cream of Mushroom soup

My best,
Mike D. IPB Image

Got tomato & mushroom soup. Will have that tonight. Brian keeps trying to drag my ass out to eat at restaurants. I've gotten so much rice and pasta stuck in my teeth it's not even funny anymore.

Yeah, AAron, I was thinking back to your thread, but I'm too lazy to find it. Obviously, no meat. But I'm a meat & potatoes kind of girl. So something along those lines.

As for beer, I had three pale ales at a christmas party on saturday. I quickly realized the effect alcohol has on a girl weighing a little over 100lbs who hasn't eaten all day. IPB Image 'Nuff said!

Jen
Qarl
Soups... campbells.. everthing is soft... like chicken noodle.
Aaron Cox
this is gonna sound really gross.....

blend up your favorate pasta (add a little extra sauce)

and eat with a spoon
skline
Get yourself a really good quality blender and just toss the meat and potatoes in there for about 5 minutes then drink it down.

IPB Image
Jenny
Ewww... I tried spaghetti the other night. Cut it into tiny pieces. It all got stuck in my braces. I guess the next step would be the blender, huh? Thanks guys!!

Soup (campbells) sounds really good, but anything with chunks is hard to eat. Put it this way, I can eat stuff I can mash between the roof of my mouth and my tongue. IPB Image

Jen
d7n7master
When I had my wisdom teeth removed I used the blender a lot. Bananas, oranges, etc blend up pretty good. Get the biggest straw you can find (McD's?)
Tequila with beer chasers will help too - IPB Image
GWN7
Your going to have the braces for how long? and your going to try to just eat liquids? Carry a toothbrush.

Spicy Beef Soup

Lean Ground beef
Spicy Clamato Juice
Mixed frozen vegatables
Onions
Seasonings

Brown the beef, drain and then rince with hot water (takes allmost all the fat out)

add it to the vegatables (corn, peas, carrots) and dice the onion with the Clamato juice in a pot, simmer & season to taste.

Enjoy

Amounts will vary depending on how many your cooking for....
scruz914
Odwalla Super Protien. What is wrong with Jamba? There are enough flavors to choose from and they have the calories you are looking for.
Gustl
try porridge - I know it's not everybodys taste but it's easily digestible
if you don't like it with warm milk you can even make it up with warm water (absolutely not my tase)
lots of calories ...

Gustl
Meredith
QUOTE (d7n7master @ Dec 20 2004, 11:09 AM)
Get the biggest straw you can find (McD's?)

Go to the mall, to one of those places that puts the tapioca balls in the drinks. Those straws are HUGE!

I was a big fan of scrambled eggs when I got my braces on. Ditto on the pudding and soup. And now you have an excuse to eat ice cream all day!
Aaron Cox
jenny,

i ded the cream o wheat thing for a while.....

as for stuff in your teeth....carry a toothbrush....im almost done with my treatment, but there hasnt been a day something is stuck in there IPB Image you get really good with your tongue tho IPB Image
gopack
When my wife had her jaw surgery, her favorite was KFC orriginal recipe, mashed potatoes, gravy all blended up so she could slurp it up! looked gross, but it was finger lickin' good! IPB Image
Rhodes71/914
The pain should only be for a couple of days. then you should be able to eat whatever. That is until you go in for the monthly check-uip and they crank em down again. Not bad that day but the next morning IPB Image
rhodyguy
all the milkshakes you can ever want with no guilt. bannanas are a very good add in. make sure you keep the potasium in your diet. if you don't have one, invest in a water pic.

kevin
Jenny
jamba starts getting really tart after the first two. I had one friday, and one saturday. And I think I'll puke if I have another one within a week. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE fruit. But I used to work in one of those juice places when they first got popular, and I can only stand that smoothie smell/taste for so long.

My mom's made me some porridge. I've been eating some of that.

My oral surgeon said braces for 2 years total. Jaw surgery at a year and a half, wired shut for 6wks, and braces for another 6months. Then I saw an orthodentist. She's saying I'll need braces for 3-4 years. I wonder if it can be two on good behavior? IPB Image

Jen
scruz914
QUOTE (Jenny @ Dec 20 2004, 12:43 PM)
But I used to work in one of those juice places when they first got popular, and I can only stand that smoothie smell/taste for so long.

I understand now. Working in a place preparing or serving food will really mess you up for a long time
Sammy
Like my doctor says, drown a cold and drown a fever.

Beer is always the answer, what was the question? IPB Image
IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

Anyone else notice that we have 5 beer emoticons on the front page and only two emoticons that have anything to do with driving or cars?
I rest my case IPB Image
Jenny
Thanks! You guys are the best!! IPB Image

Jen
ClayPerrine
Jenny,
I had a broken jaw at one time so I know a little about this. First off... Pizza cannot be blended enough to get through a wired shut jaw.

Try Jello, or Carnation instant breakfast. It tastes OK, and it has some very good nutirtion. Or any of the instand liquid meals. Something like tomato soup is good too.

Good luck.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Dec 20 2004, 01:11 PM)
Jenny,
I had a broken jaw at one time so I know a little about this. First off... Pizza cannot be blended enough to get through a wired shut jaw.

Try Jello, or Carnation instant breakfast. It tastes OK, and it has some very good nutirtion. Or any of the instand liquid meals. Something like tomato soup is good too.

Good luck.

i tried pizza too!!! IPB Image IPB Image

IPB Image vanilla instant breakfast rocks!!!!!!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Dec 20 2004, 02:13 PM)
i tried pizza too!!! IPB Image IPB Image

IPB Image vanilla instant breakfast rocks!!!!!!

Pizza is gross looking when run through a blender....

Jello is good though.
Brando
Invest in protein shakes. Be sure to find a flavor out of the big three you like. Blend with Milk and Chai Tea to get loads of calories.

Also, spaghettios. And one thing I did when I got braces... The day you get them tightened, right afterwards go to your favorite burger shack and chow down. you wont get to do it for a few days. And you'll get to enjoy a really good burger or fast food before the pain sets in.
aircooledboy
QUOTE (Sammy @ Dec 20 2004, 02:04 PM)
Beer is always the answer, what was the question? IPB Image
IPB Image  :DRUNK:  :beer3:  :beer1:  :givemebeer:

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
balljoint
Looks like most votes are for:

Favourite Food + Blender = Nasty Sludge eaten with straw.

Go for it!

I can just see the drive through request.

Yes, 1 big Mac, run in a blender for 60 seconds in a milkshake cup with straw. Eeeeeewwwwwww.

Definitely go for the Water-Pic, I got one when I had braces, worked like a charm.
dlo914
QUOTE (d7n7master @ Dec 20 2004, 11:09 AM)
When I had my wisdom teeth removed I used the blender a lot. Bananas, oranges, etc blend up pretty good. Get the biggest straw you can find (McD's?)
Tequila with beer chasers will help too - IPB Image

try those boba straws they're like 1/2" in diameter...great for sucking up BALLS ....... of tapioca that is IPB Image
Dave_Darling
That's what Meredith meant, Daniel.

I don't know of any Boba joints in SV, but downtown Mt View has a couple of 'em. Tea Era on Castro, Tapioca Express on Villa (or Dana?). Probably more around, too.

--DD
SirAndy
Soilent Green

get the "cookies" and soak them in milk ...
IPB Image Andy
chunger
I once gave a friend who was fasting an in-and-out burger blended . . .. don't try. . .

-'Chung
balljoint
Careful with the Soylent Green.

It's People.

Not for a vegan diet.

IPB Image
tat2dphreak
I had a bad wisdom teeth extraction... and milkshakes and green teas were my friend...

smoothie factory is really good too, you can get a lot of healthy stuff in those shakes, and they are very tasty too!

like spicy stuff... extra spicy bloody mary!
Jenny
I'm gonna try blended spaghetti tonight, I think. Pudding sounds good too. Forgot to mention I have extremely poor circulation, so fruit smoothies and shakes are harder for me to do since I get cold easily. I did buy some Ovaltine last night, so I'll give that a try too. Bloody mary sounds yummy. Water pick is a great idea! Thanks for suggesting that. Boba tapioca balls are a little too chewy for me right now. Luckily, I know this will pass in a day or two. It's already TONS better than Friday and Saturday. I can't wait to get these things off so I can pursue my modeling career! IPB Image

Jen
Jenny
Dave, there's a tea place in Cupertino (china town over by Wolfe and Homestead)

BTW, I'm not sunnyvale anymore.

Jen
tat2dphreak
yep, I had braces for a long time... my teeth were jacked! they had to remove 6 teeth(too many) and break my TOP jaw and expand it to have the room for normal teeth!!

it's not fun... hang in there... the waterpik will be your best friend... esp. when they tighten them up every few weeks
redshift
Ouch!

I just love Campbell's Tomato... everything I like has been mentioned already.. KFC potatos, and.. OH! Stove Top stuffing! That is gooey, and although I really don't drink, would work good with Heinekens...

I like starch.

Jaw wired shut... for HOW LONG?

=^X

M
swood
Oh man, spagetti-o's and those little meat balls, although not comprised of anything I would consider originally "real" food, SHO' AM GUUD!!

I can admit it. IPB Image
mattillac
try ensure or boost. they're in the medicine aisle at safeway. my wife just had three root canals and two teeth extracted. she drank those for a while. the boost ones taste better i think. full of vitamins and you can get ones with extra protein.

it sucks the most when they tighten the braces IPB Image

also try malt o meal or oatmeal. oatmeal will clean you out real good like. IPB Image
JB 914
Tortilla Soup

For the Stock:
1 (4 to 5 pound) whole chicken, innards removed and rinsed
Salt
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup medium diced carrots
1 cup medium diced celery
4 cloves garlic
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
8 cups water

Or use 3-4 cans of chicken stock

For the Soup
8 (7-inch) corn tortillas, recipe follows ( or you can loose the chips in your case!!)
Vegetable oil, for frying
2 cups chopped onions
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 bay leaf
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes, peeled and seeded (about 6 to 8 Romas)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves

Garnishes:
1 large avocado, peeled and diced
2 fresh limes, cut into quarters
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
For the Stock: Season the chicken with salt. Place in a large stock pot and add the remaining ingredients. Season with a teaspoon of salt. Place the pan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 2 hours. Remove from the heat and cool completely. Remove the chicken and set aside. Strain the liquid into a another pan, discarding the vegetables. Remove the fat and bones from the chicken. Dice the chicken into 1/2-inch pieces. Set aside.

For the Soup: Preheat the fryer. Cut half of the tortillas in quarters and thinly slice the other half. Fry both cuts of tortillas in batches, until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels. Season with salt and set aside. In a stock pot, over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions. Season with salt, pepper and oregano. Sauti until soft, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic, bay leaf and jalapeno. Continue to sauti for 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Sauti for 2 minutes. Crush the reserved fried tortilla quarters over the tomatoes. Stir to mix. Stir in the reserved chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 30 minutes. Using a hand-held blender, puree the soup until smooth or leave chunky. Reseason the soup. Stir in the reserved diced chicken and cilantro. Simmer for another 5 minutes. To serve, ladle the soup into individual bowls. Garnish with the avocados, squeeze of lime juice, fresh cilantro and the fried tortilla strips. Serve warm.

Jen, just loose the tortilla chips and put the chicken in before you puree. just puree it for a long time and it will be smooth. you can drink it with spoon or big BoBa straw!!
Jenny
Wow, Joe. That sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'll try it this weekend. No time for elaborate cooking on the weekdays, especially right before christmas!

Jen
JB 914
QUOTE (Jenny @ Dec 20 2004, 05:07 PM)
Wow, Joe. That sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'll try it this weekend. No time for elaborate cooking on the weekdays, especially right before christmas!

Jen

you don't have to cook the chicken just cook some chicken breasts or pieces and use chicken stock and you can make it in about 1hr. it's pretty good stuff. IPB Image
Carl
Jen,
Sorry about the pain but congrats on your decision to get on with the braces. It's one of those life decisions that you'll be very thankful you've made when it's all done.

Until then, I'm going to invest in applesauce futures.
Gint
Duh!

BEER!

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
East coaster
Jen - Throw 2 or 3 sweet potatoes in the micro, when done let cool and scrape out the inside goodies into a bowl. Add butter, fresh copped ginger, a shot of capt morgan, a little milk or cream and salt to taste. Whip'em up and enjoy! I add chopped habenero or chipotle pepper to mine, but I like fire!

It's actually real easy and fast and they taste killer, good luck!

Hey admins....we need a smiley with braces IPB Image
scotty914
try making your spagetti with elbow noddles, small enough to swallow whole. if you like other noddles, take a ramen noddle ( you know the cheap ones ) crunch the bag up put a can of tuna or chicken in to it when you cook it as well as a teaspoon of olive oil for fat ( our get tuna in oil and dont drain it ) . dont use the flavor pack or half of it. this is high in carbs. baked beans should go down easy. oatmeal for breakfast. if you like over easy fried eggs, make some 3 min eggs and mash them with a fork. mac and cheese over cooked

if you want go to some hiking web sites for trail food, most long distance hikers, including my self burn 4000 to 5000 calories a day and they/i only carry a spoon to eat with, so the food is easy to eat and very high in carbs and fat ( ie the raman noodles with tuna )
jimtab
Jen, what about a good Jook, with eggs all chopped up...should be dooable eh? Maybe I should get braces, my wife has lost 35 pounds and I think I found most of em..... IPB Image
redshift
QUOTE (joe buckle @ Dec 20 2004, 08:55 PM)
Tortilla Soup

For the Stock:
1 (4 to 5 pound) whole chicken, innards removed and rinsed
Salt
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup medium diced carrots
1 cup medium diced celery
4 cloves garlic
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
8 cups water

Or use 3-4 cans of chicken stock

For the Soup
8 (7-inch) corn tortillas, recipe follows ( or you can loose the chips in your case!!)
Vegetable oil, for frying
2 cups chopped onions
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 bay leaf
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes, peeled and seeded (about 6 to 8 Romas)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves

Garnishes:
1 large avocado, peeled and diced
2 fresh limes, cut into quarters
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
For the Stock: Season the chicken with salt. Place in a large stock pot and add the remaining ingredients. Season with a teaspoon of salt. Place the pan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 2 hours. Remove from the heat and cool completely. Remove the chicken and set aside. Strain the liquid into a another pan, discarding the vegetables. Remove the fat and bones from the chicken. Dice the chicken into 1/2-inch pieces. Set aside.

For the Soup: Preheat the fryer. Cut half of the tortillas in quarters and thinly slice the other half. Fry both cuts of tortillas in batches, until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels. Season with salt and set aside. In a stock pot, over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions. Season with salt, pepper and oregano. Sauti until soft, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic, bay leaf and jalapeno. Continue to sauti for 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Sauti for 2 minutes. Crush the reserved fried tortilla quarters over the tomatoes. Stir to mix. Stir in the reserved chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 30 minutes. Using a hand-held blender, puree the soup until smooth or leave chunky. Reseason the soup. Stir in the reserved diced chicken and cilantro. Simmer for another 5 minutes. To serve, ladle the soup into individual bowls. Garnish with the avocados, squeeze of lime juice, fresh cilantro and the fried tortilla strips. Serve warm.

Joe, that sounds unreal...

I am looking for a man-wife... call me. IPB Image

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.