Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where to mount bonnet pins?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rough_Rider
Picked up some bonnet pins (Yeah i know you all call em hood pins, but i'm Irish, therefore i'm illiterate)

I figure there's two obvious location for mounting. Above the light buckets Or on the bonnet leading edge.
I like the leading edge location better but i'm unsure how to mount the long threaded part. Any pic's how how this can be done?
J P Stein
I dunno, but when you get it sorted out, post pics IPB Image
Jeroen
take out the little rubber hood stops (in the corners near the headlight buckets) and mount the pins there
Rough_Rider
Cheer's J's

The easy install is simply removing the rubber bumper, like in the pic.

However i'm concerned that only having pins up there could allow air to flow under the ledaing lip of the bonnet & potentially cause a flip up.

Thus i'd like to put pins down on the leading edge. Now when i looked the other night, eyeballing the shelf below the bonnet i guestimated it wasn't far enough into the trunk space to allow the screw piece to sit vertically.

Thus was hoping someone could post a pic of how they'd tackled the problem.

My thought is to weld a small bracket onto the shelf in the lower corner of the bucket to extend it out & simply screw the piece on. Would that work???
Jeroen
QUOTE (Rough_Rider @ Dec 20 2004, 10:30 PM)
My thought is to weld a small bracket onto the shelf in the lower corner of the bucket to extend it out & simply screw the piece on. Would that work???

Yep
machina
I have a pair installed in the bumper stop locations and my hood does lift. I will be installing a second pair at the leading edge corners soon. I don't think the hood would lift to the point of bending or shearing the pins without the extra set but I don't like that little 1/2" gap at speed.

I have noticed that many 914's in all race classes seem to run 4 hood pins.
greg.treadway
I think all four hood pins are necessary as on the original GT cars. See the extreme makeover page on our website and you can see the placement based on one of our 914 GT cars.
brant
My theory (haven't reality tested it yet!) is that a metal hood should be strong enough to survive having just 2 pins instead of 4 on the leading edge...

where-as a glass hood more likely would need the 4

but I think that to get by with just the 2, they would need to be at the very front of the hood...

this is how I did mine, but like I said it hasn't been run in anger yet.

brant
brant
and other side:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.