Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trunk Carpet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
'73-914kid
A while back, I was rummaging around the local upholstry supply store and noticed a huge roll of almost identical German Perlon Felt. It looked just like my headliner and trunk carpet piece, so that gave me an idea..

Has anyone ever covered every surface of their front and rear trunk with perlon to match say a modern car or even a 911? I feel like I've seen the frunk of a 911 completely covered in Perlon..

Has anyone done this before, or have a reason not to? My trunks don't match the car color, and show some signs of abuse, and I feel like covering it all in perlon would hide all that and make it look a lot more clean.. Even cover the gas tank to prevent dust from settling around the tank and giving that chalky look to the fender wells underneath the trunk springs..

TIA, Ethan
JmuRiz
Some 916s (maybe all of them) had this. I like the look, if I wasn't getting freshly painted trunks, I'd do it.

IPB Image
IPB Image
CptTripps
I think we're all too worried that water will hide behind the carpet and start breeding with the car to make rust babies.
'73-914kid
Ah, I knew I had seen it on a 914 somewhere...

My plan was to hold it in with velcro..easily removed and dried if need be..
mepstein
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Oct 22 2013, 01:00 PM) *

I think we're all too worried that water will hide behind the carpet and start breeding with the car to make rust babies.

agree.gif I like the way most all the carpet removes easily. Cleaning paint is easier than cleaning fabric
JmuRiz
Get some new trunk seals before carpeting and you should be A-OK
bandjoey
I've seen pics here of a carpeted board covering the gas tank. don't know if it was stock or aftermarket but it looked good. Go for it!
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Oct 22 2013, 01:16 PM) *

I've seen pics here of a carpeted board covering the gas tank. don't know if it was stock or aftermarket but it looked good. Go for it!

agree.gif i have seen that too. looks sharp.
dfelz
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Oct 22 2013, 01:32 PM) *

Ethan, we do have a laser cutter at school that cuts wood... You could make a really nice looking one!
JmuRiz
Early prototypes had the fuel tank cover, I can't find the photo I remember at the moment though.
GeorgeRud
If someone could come up with a pattern for the area above the gas tank, I think a lot of folks would be interested. It really does look nice when it's covered.

You will have to more careful pumping gas if you don't want it to smell like gasoline.
MoveQik
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 22 2013, 08:02 PM) *

If someone could come up with a pattern for the area above the gas tank, I think a lot of folks would be interested. It really does look nice when it's covered.

You will have to more careful pumping gas if you don't want it to smell like gasoline.

Jim LaMonica has carpet over his tank, 911 style. It looks beautiful. I have been meaning to copy him for years. biggrin.gif
'73-914kid
QUOTE(dfelz @ Oct 22 2013, 04:03 PM) *

QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Oct 22 2013, 01:32 PM) *

Ethan, we do have a laser cutter at school that cuts wood... You could make a really nice looking one!

I has an idea...... would this become a product people would be interested in?
Mikey914
Perlon is not that expensive, cutting it is pretty easy. The only problem is that to stretch it, it has to be glued. I would not do this on my car if I had any leaks. In a dry climate it would work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.