Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car alarm
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MegoManSF
Hi Gang,

My beloved 914 just had her passenger window broken into-- in my apartment building garage. Ah, living in the city. I could use some help choosing a good alarm system that fits nicely with my Teener. Thanks!
ldsgeek
Not sure about where you are, but on this coast car alarms are considered an annoyance. Nobody will actually do any more than look in the general direction of the noise. Now if you get a pager alarm that my be more effective as you can respond personally, but just a horn alarm would be wasted money here.
MegoManSF
QUOTE(ldsgeek @ Oct 22 2013, 09:57 AM) *

Not sure about where you are, but on this coast car alarms are considered an annoyance. Nobody will actually do any more than look in the general direction of the noise. Now if you get a pager alarm that my be more effective as you can respond personally, but just a horn alarm would be wasted money here.

I'm in California. I feel like what would be good is having the blinking light that says I've got more than just my club. That can be a deterrent on it's own, but doesn't require a real system. The noise in a garage would make someone think twice too though.
infraredcalvin
I agree with ldsgeek, if all they did was break a window, then either you've got an enemy or they're just a plain a$$hole. A blinking light or siren is probably going to entice them more. In addition to an annoyance when any harley or ricer rolls by, I've seen enough hack job alarm installations I'm against it, besides if they really want it, they'll take it, no matter the deterrent. If you are really concerned about it getting stolen, then focus your efforts on getting it back quickly and in one piece. Look at LoJack or another gps tracking system.
Mike Bellis
I don't lock my doors just so the thief doesn't have to break a window.

If you must get an alarm, go with a name brand like Viper or Clifford. You will get a better product and have factory support. In my old 914 I had one with a radar sensor that would trigger if someone reached inside. I once had an alarm with a shock sensor and a little kid would hit the car every day just to set it off. I will not do another shock sensor. I have insurance that will cover any impact damage... dry.gif
monkeyboy
Alarms are a waste of time. No one even looks anymore.

Leave nothing visible and the smash and grab crowd won't bother with your car.
Rand
Move.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.