Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Lights Are Out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlo914
brake light relay? brakelight switch? so far i found out both of the brake bulbs went out simultaneously, but the driving lights still work...if it's either of the two relay or switch where are they located on the car? pictures would be nice....thanks - dan
skline
I would check all your fuses first. Not just a visual, but get in there and move them around a little to make sure they are making contact. These cars are pretty old you know.
balljoint
IPB Image

I always pull fuses, clean contacts and make sure they are fitting nicely first, before I start thinking about expensive potential problems.
roundboy914
on my '76, i chased this problem around for 3 months. The fuse, on a '76 also runs your gauges, so, i would hear a 'pop', as the fuse blew, and then no gauges, or brake lights. tore the damn thing apart, literlally. A short somewhere, never did find it. But check the parking brake swith, by the handle, or the wires in the trunk.
mattillac
the brake light switch is in the pedal cluster. just lift up your carpet/pedal board and you'll see it.

i had the same problem a while ago also. it was just the fuse. still happens once in a while. just carry extra fuses. IPB Image
dlo914
thanks guys...i'll check the 14 tomorrow during the day...
URY914
QUOTE (mattillac @ Dec 20 2004, 04:57 PM)
the brake light switch is in the pedal cluster. just lift up your carpet/pedal board and you'll see it.

i had the same problem a while ago also. it was just the fuse. still happens once in a while. just carry extra fuses. IPB Image

IPB Image

This happened to me back when I had brake lights. IPB Image

P
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (URY914 @ Dec 20 2004, 08:52 PM)
QUOTE (mattillac @ Dec 20 2004, 04:57 PM)

IPB Image

This happened to me back when I had brake lights. IPB Image

P

IPB Image

Last MUSR. I changed the throttle cable the day before we left, and in the process I knocked the wire off the brake light switch. Didn't find out until we got to Oklahoma. Fixed it in the parking lot of the place we had dinner.

Almost got rear ended by another 914 on the way to dinner though.......
dlo914
update....sanded down all the contacts on the fuse box...nadda...located the little brakelight switch and sanded down those contacts....nadda....however i managed to get my headlights to pop back up again... IPB Image WOOTIE WOOT IPB Image but still no brake lights....could it simply just be a bad brakelight switch?
Cap'n Krusty
VERY uncommon failure item. Like nearly never. You checked the bulbs yet? Check for power at the switch, then the sockets in the rear. The Cap'n
dlo914
the first thing i checked were the bulbs...both went out at the same time...only the braking filament, while the running light filament was fine...other than that here's a diagram of my fuse box....could someone label what each one leads to and if those are the correct fuses in each slot...thanks - Dan
spare time toys
QUOTE (dlo914 @ Dec 22 2004, 09:06 PM)
the first thing i checked were the bulbs...both went out at the same time...only the braking filament, while the running light filament was fine

Sounds more like a power surge. But I aint no lectrician IPB Image
rhodyguy
re the switch. the arm goes on the rear of the round portion, not the front side. there is also a adjustment proceedure for the switch on p.129 of your haynes manual.

kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.