Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Emissions Standards
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxerboy
I'm still pretty new to this site and maybe this has been a thread in the past, but I thought it might be interesting to see how emissions standards for 30+ year old cars differed from state to state.

What are the standards where you live?
wiredwrx
IN California, anything pre 1974 is exempt from testing.

Michael
dlo914
IPB Image WOOTIE WOOT IPB Image WOK ON IPB Image rocking nana.gif
skline
Actually, its anything older than 75 in california. Unfortunatly, the 76 will never be exempt.
Hi_Fi_Guy
AZ every car 1968 or newer gets emissions testing.
type11969
NJ: emissions testing but you only have to pass the regulations for the year of your vehicle. Every two years. Probably a visual inspection too, but if the inspection gremlins could tell the difference between my dual carbed t4 and the stock 1600 that was once in my Beetle I would probably mess my pants.

in another month I have to go see if this dual carbed t4 will pass emissions for 1969, should be interesting.
Series9
In New Mexico, the only county that requires testing is the one containing Albuquerque. My 1980 SC had to be tested but my 914 didn't, which is ironic because the 3.6 has way lower emissions than the 3.0.

I've since purchased a house just over the line into the next county, so I won't have to test again.
ClayPerrine
Here in Texas they mandate emissions testing per county ( Like the wind never blows). IN Dallas and and Tarrant Counties we have the same emissions standards at the PRC (Peoples republic of California). HOuston and El Paso have the same standards. Counties around us have a visual only test. Meaning that they have to look like the emissions controls work. All the other counties don't have an emission test at all. So Bubba can bring his aincent ranch pickup that burns as much oil as gas into the DFW area and pollute the hell out of our air. He lives here, but his truck is registered at his parents ranch so his inspection cost is the minimum 12 bucks for a saftey inspection, and I have a perfectly maintained BMW that requires that I get a 30.00 emissions test because I live here.

Personally, I think the whole state should have to abide by emissions standards, or no one should.......

(Discrimination is alive and well in Texas). IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
BMartin914
Hey Boxerboy,

LoneTree Huh? How long have you been around? We have a great Colorado 914 group here in Denver.

Been through emissions with your 914 here in Denver? Its a blast isn't it?
TheCabinetmaker
We don't got no stinkling emissions checks. No saftey checks. Drive what ya got. IPB Image
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (vsg914 @ Dec 20 2004, 04:02 PM)
We don't got no stinkling emissions checks. No saftey checks. Drive what ya got. IPB Image

Yea Kurt.. but we have our toilets INSIDE the house...... IPB Image
Joe Bob
QUOTE (Hi_Fi_Guy @ Dec 20 2004, 01:37 PM)

Yeah, but you don't have to pass the visual, unlike CA.

If you can pass the tail pipe emission test with carbs or another FI system...you can pass...from what I've seen. read. heard....

In CA, if you have a modified intake from stock that does not have a "CARB" approval....yer screwed.
lapuwali
Correction to a correction: it's anything older than '76 in CA. '76 and newer are not exempt. '75 and older are exempt. Cars 35 years old or older can apply for a collector classification (with other requirements that aren't clear right now) and take a different test.

In addition, based on where you have the car licensed, you may have to run the test under load on a dyno. I've heard rumors that some lightly populated areas have no tests at all. Someone on this board in Amador County (Sierras) claims to have no testing regardless of year, but I haven't heard that confirmed, and never found any such escape clause in the published laws.

I know that some other states also vary their testing based on locality. It's not the same across the entire state. Sometimes it varies by county, sometimes by some district within a county. That's one of the problems with asking this kind of question. People can tell you how it is where they are, but that doesn't mean that's the way it is for someplace else in the state. Most people don't know all of the rules. I'm not sure ANYONE does.
jwalters
IPB Image From what I have seen here in Florida--pretty much anything goes--------which is also a bad thing...
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Dec 20 2004, 04:06 PM)

you have toilets in texas? IPB Image

ps, read my signature.
Rhodes71/914
No emmisions testing or safety inspection here on the east side of the Cascades in Oregon. The Portland area has testing but I have no idea what that entails.

When I was in highschool in Anchorage Alaska they did emmisions testing but my VW Rabbit had problems with that so I used the address of our ski cabin and got around it. Anchorage did need it though, in the winter the inversion can trap some nasty air.
SGB
I'm in Alabama. Emmisions? Like from beans?
bperry
Here in Texas we push the polution rules to the limits.
Only vehicles that are registered in counties that the EPA has ruled
as "non-attainment" counties (those that are failing to meet miminum
EPA defined air quality standards) have to be checked for emmissions.
Counties that touch non-attainment counties also have some
emmission checks but not true emmisson checks with sniffers and dyno.
We do have a 25/30 (can't remember) rolling exemption for emmisions
testing. There are also rules that allow you to apply for exemptions
and waivers for certain conditions.

Recently Texas has added "Targeted On-Road Testing". This is
an unmarked VAN that sniffs the air as your car drives by.
If they sense a "failure" they have the power to send you a ticket
and require you re-inspect your car. HELLO BIG Brother!

For new Cars, Texas is now using the OBD-II connecter and interface
to ask your cars computer how your emission system is working.
Long term this will lower emission testing costs and allow "emission
testing" to be done everywhere across the state since OBD II equipment
is much cheaper than full blown emission testing equipment.

OBD-II requires specific drive cycles to be completed before it
tags your sensors as even being ready for sensing. So if you try
to clear out your engine/emission faults by disconnecting the battery,
you will FAIL your inspection because your computer will say its
sensors are NOT Ready even though everything is working properly.

And if your income is low enough, the state even has a program
that will take your old poluting car and GIVE -thats right- GIVE
you a less polluting car FOR FREE!

--- bill
VegasRacer
Here in Lost Wages, Nirvana everybody has to pass the same test. First they check to see if your gas cap seals properly. Then they do the old sniffer up the tail pipe test, both at idle and 3000 RPM. It doesn't matter how old your car is or what you have under the hood. All they care about is what comes out the exhaust. IPB Image
Red-Beard
Houston is exempt at 25 years. The SC will be tested 1 more time...next october...if I still own it.
ws91420
Right now in VA it's only metro areas that require smog. Not sure how far that goes back.
914GT
QUOTE (mikez @ Dec 20 2004, 03:08 PM)
QUOTE (Hi_Fi_Guy @ Dec 20 2004, 01:37 PM)

Yeah, but you don't have to pass the visual, unlike CA.

In metro Tucson/Phoenix areas (rest of Arizona is exempt) you do have to pass a visual test and an emissions test. They look under the car for catalytic converter (if originally equipped), check fuel tank for unleaded restrictor, smog pump and vacuum hoses, O2 sensor, and PCV valve. However you are right they are probably easier to fool than in California. My son swapped his original fuel-injected V6 for a 350 with carb on his 88 Chevy truck. He kept the smog pump and cat, had an O2 sensor with the wire dead-ending in the harness. Passed no problem. I had no problems with them on my 74 V8 conversion. If anything they stared at the engine in amazement that in fit in there. Now they don't even check emissions on the newer cars. They just plug in to the diagnostic port and read the computer codes.
Dave-O
Sorry guys, i'm from Wisconsin. What are these "emissions" you talk about? IPB Image

David
robby750
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Dec 20 2004, 02:06 PM)

A toilet INSIDE your house???? That's just gross!
RON S.
In South Carolina,there are no testing requirements of any kind. IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image "YET".None on the horizon either.

My '70 914/6 w/a 3.6 + 915 will only need to have the county road taxes paid to be legal.Aprox $30.00.

Ron
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (robby750 @ Dec 21 2004, 05:22 AM)
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Dec 20 2004, 02:06 PM)

A toilet INSIDE your house???? That's just gross!

Robby,
You have to understand....In most places in Oklahoma, they still have the little buildings behind their houses with the "toilet" in it.............. IPB Image

Kurt,

Either Betty or I drive a 914 to work every day.. What was your point about your signature? IPB Image IPB Image
freezing14
in here , every car that is more than 20 years old is exempt from smog, the only requirement is a safety check at the time you liscence the car for the first time and every time it changes owner, so if you keep your car no smog no check easy as 1-2-3

the only draw back is 4 month of snow,,,LOL
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.