Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MSD Distributor / Ignition Set -up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
David Mueller
I've a '74 2.0L which is running a MSD6A ignition system and I just bought (not installed yet) a MSD Distributor to replace the stock unit. The car is running 96MM big bore kit from EBS racing, dual 44MM weber's and a MSD Blaster II coil - etc...

Has anyone got some recommendations on the advance spring settings for the MSD 8485...

Also what about the sheet metal around the distributor am I going to have to cut to make it fit ?

The car was running well with the optical pick-up (Crane 7000) but I guess I'll pull that out when I install the new distributor -

Sounds like a good winter afternoon project .....
Mueller
Dave,

I'm pretty sure no cutting, the tin can be "persuaded" to move out of the way with a hammer (ball peen)
Aaron Cox
how similar is it to a mallory? ill be doing that next week...will let you know if its anything close....
swood
I think someone should do a step by step photographic post of how to change the springs (on the Mallory). There might be a need for that (wonder who??) IPB Image

The tin does need a little persuasion to take the bigger dizzy. IPB Image
Mueller
QUOTE (swood @ Dec 20 2004, 03:16 PM)
I think someone should do a step by step photographic post of how to change the springs (on the Mallory). There might be a need for that (wonder who??) IPB Image

The tin does need a little persuasion to take the bigger dizzy. IPB Image

I changed my springs on Friday...takes about 3 minutes start to finish....no need for instructions...well if you insist IPB Image

remove cap, loosen the 5/16 nuts on outside of case, the metal plate w/optics can now be removed...... with a pair of needle nose pliers remove the 2 pre-installed springs, pick out new springs of choice (grey/grey recommended) and install new springs, check advance curve with tool supplied.....assembly is reverse of take down procedure
David Mueller
I was more looking for help with which springs to use ans how to set-up the advance stop bushings...not how to install...

I bought the MSD unit instead of the mallory as I already had the MSD 6A unit so it plugs right into the distributor...

There was an article a few issues ago in Excellence about replacing distributors in 914's and they said either the MSD or Mallory would be great upgrades from the stock 050 unit...

I sure wish I had a DYNO to set this thing up with...it might life easier...
Jake Raby
The MSD tunes totally different than a Mallory..

I have yet to find the correct settings for the MSD on a Type IV. I switched to only Mallory a few years ago and have not looked back!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.