Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Member
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
73six
[font=Arial]Hello all.
New member here but a previous owner and longtime admirer of the 914. My first experience with the 914 came in 1970 when my older brother and I walked into the local VW-Porsche dealer and there she was, a gold 1.7 with the targa roof off.
I was 11 and it was love at first sight. I vowed then and there that one day I would have one. The salesman was kind enough to give me a brochure and I pored over that for weeks on end.
My first ride came in 1971 when my older American cousin in Oregon bought a new 914/6 and I was hooked! My first 914 was a 72 1.7 that I bought in 1988 from the proverbial little old lady, original owner with only 42,000 miles on it. It was stock down to the steel wheels, 165 Michelins and hubcaps. I regretfully sold that car 10 years later to a guy who had hounded me for years to sell it.

Fast forward to last week.
I bought 2, count em 2, rust free 914s from a local guy here in Calgary that were advertised on the Samba.
One is a 73 914 six conversion with a 2.2 from California and the other is a 75 2.0 from Arizona.
The six has 78 911 struts and calipers all around with Porsche cookie cutter wheels. It also has unusual flared / stretched rear fenders that are all steel and really well done. There is no evidence of any metalwork from inside the fender so I think they may actually be complete rear fenders with flare that were welded on. It is not a GT style flare but a subtle widening about 3 inches or so. They look great!
The other unique thing about it is an original, all steel, GT front bumper with the notch in it! It has a great interior with a rollbar with angled brace that is mounted to the passenger floor. Not sure what brand it is. The car has been raced in the past as it has a fuel cell with race pump and spin on fuel filter assembly. No front oil cooler though. The Webers are freshly rebuilt with new K&N housings. As the car has 911 calipers on the rear there is no park brake per se. What it has is a brake line-lock device that holds brake line pressure when you flip the activation lever then press the brake pedal. It came with NIB Bursch 914/6 headers and NIB Bursch muffler. It has a 914/6 tach and gauges as well.
The 75 2.0 already has 916 bumpers on it or that would have been job one. It has a new, with receipts, 2 liter from JCS in Irwindale, California that the PO had shipped up here and installed. According to the mileage recorded by the installation shop at the time of install, it has only 500 miles on it and it looks it. Unfortunately it has Webers on it, however, they were rebuilt and set up at the same time as the new engine was installed. It came with many extra parts including the fuel injection which I hope to reinstall.
This car has a full, weld-in roll cage with door bars from Tangerine Racing that the PO just had installed. Wheels are still 4 lug but they are Minilites! First project will be 5 lug hubs, steel GT flares and Fuchs wheels. I plan to order the Tangerine Racing headers with heat exchangers right away.
No pics yet as I don't bring them home until this weekend.
Sorry for the long post but I am excited about being a member of the 914 community again and hope to become a valued member of this forum.
Mike Bellis
welcome.png
ConeDodger
welcome.png
914itis
welcome.png thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Gustl
welcome.png ... from far, far away biggrin.gif

73six
Thanks for the welcome guys!
JawjaPorsche
welcome.png
hot_shoe914
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png

Unfortunately, we can't talk to you until you provide us with pictures. You might really have Fiat X19's and we wouldn't know it. confused24.gif

So hurry up and post those pics, Dave needs new friends. poke.gif

Shoe
beerchug.gif
KELTY360
welcome.png
Cairo94507
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png

It sounds as if you might have come across a nice car or two. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.
green914
welcome.png
CptTripps
2! You're jumping right in!

Welcome...
StratPlayer
welcome.png
nolift914
welcome.png
Drums66
.....WELCOME...
bye1.gif flag.gif shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.