Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche Parade 2014 - Monterey California
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ConeDodger
California 914 guys and all you others too!

Not since our cars were being built has the Parade been in Monterey. I can't think of a better place to invade with our 914's since there are so many of us in California and the surrounding area... Let's do it!
McMark
Ooooh! I guess I have a deadline for the blue car.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 23 2013, 09:15 AM) *

Ooooh! I guess I have a deadline for the blue car.

biggrin.gif Whatever works...
biosurfer1
I'm there... any dates been set yet?

edit: nm, found it June 15-21
Michael N
I will be there. bye1.gif I know that there was talk of having it coincide with Rennsport Reunion V at Laugna Seca. Does anyone know if that will be the case. I cannot find any info on Rennsport V but 2014 would be the year if they hold to the once every 3 year schedule.

Combo the two and it could be the largest Porsche event ever.
Trekkor
Very interested.

KT
Krieger
I might go...
Elliot Cannon
I guess I'll have to re-new my PCA membership. laugh.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Oct 23 2013, 09:46 AM) *

Not since our cars were being built has the Parade been in Monterey. I can't think of a better place to invade with our 914's since there are so many of us in California and the surrounding area... Let's do it!

Except, of course, the one in 1990 .....................................

The Cap'n
Dave_Darling
Yup, I just missed that one. (Joined PCA in 91.)

My wife and I are going to make every effort to try to get into this Parade. We're hoping it goes better for us than the SLC one did!!

--DD
jim_hoyland
I'm in...gonna have to book a room real early. When will the dates be posted ?
JeffBowlsby
Awesome. Should we start a separate thread to get a count of 914s that will attend? Maybe we can approach the organizers for a dedicated 914 corral?

creamsicle914.jpg
Ferg
I'm just starting to explore if I can make it out from Colorado. driving.gif
biosurfer1
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 23 2013, 02:07 PM) *

I'm in...gonna have to book a room real early. When will the dates be posted ?

June 15-21, 2014
ConeDodger
I'm thinking we should look into renting houses and splitting the cost.
GeorgeRud
The Parade housing is usually tied into the registration for the parade, and is generally run by the national PCA office. If you've never been to one, it's really a fun week!

I was very lucky to win enclosed transport for my car to and from the Parade at the final awards banquet at last year's Parade, so Julie and I don't have to drive all the way from Chicago to attend. If Rennsport would also happen at the same time, it could be the biggest Porsche event ever!
Eric_Shea
Let's do it!

Are you gonna be there? blink.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 23 2013, 03:59 PM) *

Let's do it!

Are you gonna be there? blink.gif

Y e s . . . biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Oct 23 2013, 03:48 PM) *

The Parade housing is usually tied into the registration for the parade, and is generally run by the national PCA office. If you've never been to one, it's really a fun week!

I was very lucky to win enclosed transport for my car to and from the Parade at the final awards banquet at last year's Parade, so Julie and I don't have to drive all the way from Chicago to attend. If Rennsport would also happen at the same time, it could be the biggest Porsche event ever!

In San Diego it wasn't... We stayed in a house on the beech. rolleyes.gif
jim_hoyland
Does PCA membership make a difference ?

Just made my reservation at the Marina Motel 6, same place the WCR headquartered. Prices about the same, varies by the day.
GeorgeRud
You do need to be a member to register for the Parade and participate in the activities (Concours, Auto-X, Rallye, Banquets, etc), but you can spectate without being a member (if it's like previous Parades).

I believe the host hotel is the Marriott in Monterey, but there are plenty of other hotels in the area. The actual schedule and events won't be posted till January in all likelihood.

Hopefully Eric will be healthy through the whole event this year!
Steve
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 23 2013, 01:00 PM) *

The Cap'n

I was there in my 914. beach boys racing debuted there Monterey 914 there.
JStroud
I'll probably go, but I have places to stay in Pacific Grove and Capitola, so no hotel for me. Now just need to get the car back on the road by then.

Jeff
Jmedeiros
I guess I better get to welding! welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
euro911
popcorn[1].gif
rick 918-S
Love Monterey. idea.gif Maybe I can drive the 6...
biosurfer1
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Oct 23 2013, 10:09 PM) *

Love Monterey. idea.gif Maybe I can drive the 6...

You got a little less than 8 months, in that time you should be able to transplant a VW W16 into it!

This is perfect, I love all these Porsche events in Monterey...since my parents live in Aptos and I don't have to worry about a room beerchug.gif
Eric_Shea
Hopefully Eric will be healthy through the whole event this year!

I'll probably be leading tours again. The national tour chair is working here part time. wink.gif
ConeDodger
Another thought... One of my co-workers just offered me his bumper-pull travel trailer. Sleeps 6 I think... sunglasses.gif
Jake Raby
I have been invited to be a technical presenter on the modern Porsche engines at Parade in 2014, but I haven't made my mind up about doing it yet..
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 24 2013, 04:35 PM) *

I have been invited to be a technical presenter on the modern Porsche engines at Parade in 2014, but I haven't made my mind up about doing it yet..

DO IT! beerchug.gif There are soooo many Boxters around these parts

I sure hope work doesn't get in the way of a visit to Parade next year since it is so close. Joining the AX would be epic. I've already put in some sweat and beers on the 914 Limo at McMark's and would do more work to have it ready for Parade beerchug.gif
wes
Im not sure how Im going to do this but Im determined to get my car ready for this one and have reservations at Motel 6 in Monterey and Seaside.
jim_hoyland
OK: I've made reservations but think 5 days is a long time. What days are really MUST see/do days. I would like to be there for the three best days.....
wes
Just spoke with admen at Laguna Seca and they are saying it's not one of the major events at the track,,,?,, but the track well be in use by the Porsche Parade for 2 days though could not affirm the 2 days of use at this time.
I just made my res. for the whole event as can always change the dates later and Monterey hotels/motels book up for several events at all times, not a good place to just drop in and get a room .

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 25 2013, 10:59 AM) *

OK: I've made reservations but think 5 days is a long time. What days are really MUST see/do days. I would like to be there for the three best days.....

Dave_Darling
If you're in PCA, you'll see the schedule of events when it gets published, or up on http://pca.org .

If you're not, then you'll have to rely on PCA members to tell you when things are going on.

The two main things to see:
- The Concours (usually in the morning, Monday or Tuesday) with all of the amazing shiny cars lined up somewhere beautiful.
- The autoX, which is spread over a couple of days and is located on some large piece of pavement nearby. Might be the Marina airport, or might be the Laguna Seca paddock again.

The tours might be of interest, but you'll have to talk to Eric about those. If you're not a PCA'er, your driving will be completely unofficial.

The Rally is limited to participants, as is the Tech Quiz. You can probably hang out in the hotel bar and BS with everyone without signing up for Parade, but there will be some areas that will be off limits. (The Hospitality room, the Goodie Store, the Art Show, etc.)

--DD
wes
Join the PCA its only $40 a year, you get the nice decal, name tag, and a great mag now bigger than ever before!

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 25 2013, 11:32 AM) *

If you're in PCA, you'll see the schedule of events when it gets published, or up on http://pca.org .

If you're not, then you'll have to rely on PCA members to tell you when things are going on.

The two main things to see:
- The Concours (usually in the morning, Monday or Tuesday) with all of the amazing shiny cars lined up somewhere beautiful.
- The autoX, which is spread over a couple of days and is located on some large piece of pavement nearby. Might be the Marina airport, or might be the Laguna Seca paddock again.

The tours might be of interest, but you'll have to talk to Eric about those. If you're not a PCA'er, your driving will be completely unofficial.

The Rally is limited to participants, as is the Tech Quiz. You can probably hang out in the hotel bar and BS with everyone without signing up for Parade, but there will be some areas that will be off limits. (The Hospitality room, the Goodie Store, the Art Show, etc.)

--DD

r_towle
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 23 2013, 04:00 PM) *

The Cap'n

right, well except that one time, and no one showed up.
harlenl
Rennsport will not occur in 2014.

Here is the schedule:

http://www.mazdaraceway.com/news/2014-seas...way-laguna-seca
grantsfo
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 25 2013, 11:32 AM) *

might be the Laguna Seca paddock again.

--DD

In 73 Parade AX was held on the track. Would be cool to replicate that event again! Here is my dad finishing parade ax back in 73.

IPB Image
grantsfo
This is awesome video of concours and ax from 73 parade I attended with my family . My dads all orange 914 parked at local dealer. The 914/6 I rode in on 17 mile drive to concours at pebble beach is in this too! Not sure where first part of video is from but majority of it after first 4 minutes is Monetery in 73.

http://youtu.be/kkN4yt-_ZqQ
JRust
I can't wait. Finally joined PCA just so I can get all the info to this. Although they sure are being slow sending out my stuff dry.gif . Can't wait to do that autoX. Going to be a long 6 months
euro911
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Nov 30 2013, 07:53 AM) *
This is awesome video of concours and ax from 73 parade I attended with my family . My dads all orange 914 parked at local dealer. The 914/6 I rode in on 17 mile drive to concours at pebble beach is in this too! Not sure where first part of video is from but majority of it after first 4 minutes is Monetery in 73.

http://youtu.be/kkN4yt-_ZqQ
Very cool thumb3d.gif
sixnotfour
I can't wait. Finally joined PCA just so I can get all the info to this. Although they sure are being slow sending out my stuff . Can't wait to do that autoX. Going to be a long 6 months

I don't think you can run suby power at a parade ??? or at least you could not run a few years ago..
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Steve @ Oct 23 2013, 05:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 23 2013, 01:00 PM) *

The Cap'n

I was there in my 914. beach boys racing debuted there Monterey 914 there.

I was there also and SanDiego after that
GeorgeRud
Unless they recently changed the rules, the car and engine both have to be Porsche sourced to run at the autocross. Not sure about the concours, Rallye, or tours. Even if you just go to spectate, it's a fun time at a beautiful location.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Dec 1 2013, 05:27 AM) *

Unless they recently changed the rules, the car and engine both have to be Porsche sourced to run at the autocross. Not sure about the concours, Rallye, or tours. Even if you just go to spectate, it's a fun time at a beautiful location.

They were willing to let me run during Escape and we did run various tours. I had no time to get my car tech'ed in Zone 8 prior to my arrival so no DE for me.
Dave_Darling
In Fort Worth, they had a special "exhibition" section or class at the concours for the 914 SIG (Special Interest Group). It included more than one swap, and an SBC-swapped 914 took the Peoples' Choice among the SIG cars. It also had at least one of the Porsche family grinning...

The DEs are usually "associated" with Parade, but not part of Parade. So they don't have the same kind of rules. As Mike found out, you may need to get tech'ed by a shop at home--double- and triple-check the registration info for the DE to find out.

For competitive events, to get any "official" results you will need a Porsche engine in your Porsche. There's at least a chance you can do the event but not be included in the official results if you have a non-Porsche swap, but that's at the discretion of the organizers. And the autoX is likely to be oversubscribed, which will reduce your chances of being allowed to run there.

--DD
JRust
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 1 2013, 10:39 AM) *

In Fort Worth, they had a special "exhibition" section or class at the concours for the 914 SIG (Special Interest Group). It included more than one swap, and an SBC-swapped 914 took the Peoples' Choice among the SIG cars. It also had at least one of the Porsche family grinning...

The DEs are usually "associated" with Parade, but not part of Parade. So they don't have the same kind of rules. As Mike found out, you may need to get tech'ed by a shop at home--double- and triple-check the registration info for the DE to find out.

For competitive events, to get any "official" results you will need a Porsche engine in your Porsche. There's at least a chance you can do the event but not be included in the official results if you have a non-Porsche swap, but that's at the discretion of the organizers. And the autoX is likely to be oversubscribed, which will reduce your chances of being allowed to run there.

--DD

Hell I don't care about official. Be nice if there was the same 914sig group. Just want to run for fun. As long as I can see my times & see how I improve on the day. I could care less where I end up among my group.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.