Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Break in Compression 2 Liter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
newdeal2
OK, here's the scoop. I have the car running [the infamous 2 liter D jet re build] reasonably well. I re did the compression test [all plugs out/Throttle open]and it ranges from 120 -140.

I have been told that the WebCam [by Raby] having a longer duration and better lift will throw numbers off since it is intended to improve the mid range. I have also noted from various sources that it could be a simple valve adjustment that will bring the numbers closer.

Am I getting too anal here? IPB Image
Jake Raby
Did you have the throttle open when taking the numbers??

What cam are you running?
newdeal2
Yes, throttle open and it is your WebCam 73 grind
Jake Raby
Have the rings had time to seat yet??

If not that could make a big difference. What static CR did you set it at??
newdeal2
I ran in the motor for 20 min's @ 2000 rpm. and have put about 10-15 miles on it with periodic 75% throttle and engine breaking to load the pistons.

Since this is my first re build what is static CR?
Jake Raby
The calculated compression ratio...

Sounds liek the rings are not seated yet.. Unless the engine is dynoed it takes atleast 250 miles to get them to seat well.
newdeal2
Makes sense. I need to relax and drive, get the timing right, etc.

I didn't do any caculations since all I changed was the piston type [stock to euro] and purchused them with the cylinders as a set. I checked the deck height and moved on.

The car is running a little choppy at 3-4000 rpm. No excessive noise so I think it's a tuning issue. Should I hold off on valve adjustment or do it now since I didn't do it after the run in?
Jake Raby
Oh no........

The first step to engine building is NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING!

Every engine has to be built like all the tolerances are unknown..

How many ccs were in those heads??
newdeal2
Everything was kept stock, only changes as noted [cam and euro pistons] in my earlier reply. Crank and heads as well as align bore was done by a Porsche mechanic locally.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.