Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Member Intro: Custom Water Jet Cutting Available
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gryphon68
Hi Everyone,

For those that prefer real names, mine is Eric.

Just a short intro. I don't have a 914 (yet), but am leaning strongly towards making one my next project. I've road-raced motorcycles and drag raced cars, but now looking for a fun street car project that I can just enjoy driving when it's done. (Maybe a little tinkering). Currently in the midst of finishing out the shop at the new house so I have a place for the project. Beginning to see the light at the end of that tunnel. biggrin.gif

Love the creative engineering being done on these old gems . . . . . Personal preference has me leaning towards a late model engine/trans swap into a roller in need of rescue.

Water Jet Cutting. I have access to a large water jet cutter, and would like to make more use of it. If you have a product that you are interested in producing or would like to see if I might be able to offer a better price than your local cutting shop, lets talk. CAD services also available if you don't have cutter part data available. Open to trading services for a project car, completed products, or other parts.

76-914
Well Hot Damn, welcome.png . One of our members (Maddog?) is in WI and makes metal reinforcement parts for our teeners might be interested. Any trim emblems possible? As far as a roller; take Horace Greeley's advice and go west young man, go west. Southwest that is. Lots of guys here to assist in a close inspection so you won't get burned; too badly. lol-2.gif
gryphon68
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 24 2013, 09:49 AM) *

Any trim emblems possible?

Something like the 914 rear badge? Custom versions like 914-8, 914-sti, or 914-1.8t??

Anything that can be drawn as a 2D outline is possible to cut. Can easily cut the outline of a badge/emblem on the water jet, but recessing the bars between the numbers/letters would need to be finished on a mill. If the edges want more than time in a polish/tumbler then it might be better to cut the entire thing on a mill.

I have access to a Tormach CNC mill as well, but I'm still learning how to best use it.
CptTripps
QUOTE(gryphon68 @ Oct 24 2013, 10:06 AM) *

Something like the 914 rear badge? Custom versions like 914-8, 914-sti, or 914-1.8t??

NOW you're talking!

QUOTE(gryphon68 @ Oct 24 2013, 10:06 AM) *

Anything that can be drawn as a 2D outline is possible to cut.

So if I send you an EPS, PDF, or AI file, would you be able to work something up for me?
CptTripps
I'd love to do a "914T" like this. One for the dash, and another for the trunk.
gryphon68
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Oct 24 2013, 11:47 AM) *

So if I send you an EPS, PDF, or AI file, would you be able to work something up for me?

Should be able to work with Adobe Illustrator (AI) files layed out in 1:1 scale.

DXF is the final target format for the cutting software.

gryphon68
Something like this?

IPB Image
maddog
Actually Maddog is in Grand Rapids Michigan which is SW area of Michigan, thanks

QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 24 2013, 05:49 AM) *

Well Hot Damn, welcome.png . One of our members (Maddog?) is in WI and makes metal reinforcement parts for our teeners might be interested. Any trim emblems possible? As far as a roller; take Horace Greeley's advice and go west young man, go west. Southwest that is. Lots of guys here to assist in a close inspection so you won't get burned; too badly. lol-2.gif

dfelz
Hello! welcome.png

I am always looking for connections to laser/water/oxy CNC cutting! How thick of steel can you cut? 1/8" shouldn't be a problem ya????
boxsterfan
Can you do 3D printing? If so, can you just custom print me an entire 914 chassis made out of carbon fiber? biggrin.gif

welcome.png
CptTripps
QUOTE(gryphon68 @ Oct 24 2013, 12:45 PM) *

Something like this?

IPB Image

kinda like this...

I could cut down the middle with a dremel I think ....
gryphon68
QUOTE(dfelz @ Oct 24 2013, 01:28 PM) *

Hello! welcome.png

I am always looking for connections to laser/water/oxy CNC cutting! How thick of steel can you cut? 1/8" shouldn't be a problem ya????

If you run the machine slow enough it can cut 6" steel. But no one here has use for anything like that.

QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Oct 24 2013, 01:59 PM) *

Can you do 3D printing? If so, can you just custom print me an entire 914 chassis made out of carbon fiber? biggrin.gif

welcome.png

Will have to work on that one . . . . dry.gif
gryphon68
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Oct 24 2013, 02:12 PM) *
kinda like this...

I could cut down the middle with a dremel I think ....

I would suggest putting the bar in the 914 location, even with the horizontal line of the "4". This will make the bar between the 1 and 4 as short as possible and be easier to finish.

A small hand file would also help after the dremel.
CptTripps
Good point. I'll mock i tup later and post a pic. Shoot me your email addy and I'll forward the EPS.
914work
Wow, introduction & commercial solicitation rolled into one.
r_towle
QUOTE(914werke @ Oct 24 2013, 03:15 PM) *

A captive audience of car enthusiasts is hard to resist when you have a business that might serve that market.

Not having a 914 is pretty common amongst member vendors nowadays. dry.gif

scotty b
QUOTE(914werke @ Oct 24 2013, 11:15 AM) *

well his name is ERIC after all ........
revhi109
Not sure how to add images. Here is a link to an engine mount drawing

http://imgur.com/e7DbCpg
gryphon68
QUOTE(revhi109 @ Oct 25 2013, 10:25 AM) *

IPB Image

Would it be OK to add some more material around the holes?
revhi109
QUOTE(gryphon68 @ Oct 25 2013, 09:50 AM) *

QUOTE(revhi109 @ Oct 25 2013, 10:25 AM) *

IPB Image

Would it be OK to add some more material around the holes?

I can. But it wont fit around the engine lip. I have watercut this out of plexiglass. It fits perfectly the way it is.
69telecaster
I don't mean to hijack, but I'm in western MI, and have a small machine shop...always looking for cool things to do.

cm
Niklas
Can you make emblem that says: 912-6 ??

Niklas
r_towle
I want a complete aluminum 914.

Please submit bids.
stugray
Slightly off topic. (excuse hijack)

I just went to a meeting at my local "Tinkermill".
http://www.tinkermill.org/

It is open to anyone to come in and use their:
Laser cutter engraver (cuts wood up to 1/4 thick)
CNC router(s) up to 4 ft X 8 ft X 5in thick material.
CNC Mill
8X 3D Printers
workstations with SolidWorks, or Sketchup-Pro
Wood SHop
Metal shop - Mig, Tig, Pasma cutting, lathe, mill, etc welder.gif
Foundry
Glass blowing shop
Robot & Electronics shop

It is open 24/7 to any member and it is only $50 a month blink.gif

Needless to say, I am joining.
I think my first project will be a CF front Air Dam.
I plan on cutting an airdam positive core on the CNC router, then vacuum forming over it.

You cant work on cars on the premises, but you can do all the car parts that you want.

These places are gaining popularity very quickly. Check your local area to see if you might have one.
snakemain
QUOTE(stugray @ Sep 7 2015, 01:15 PM) *

Slightly off topic. (excuse hijack)

I just went to a meeting at my local "Tinkermill".
http://www.tinkermill.org/

It is open to anyone to come in and use their:
Laser cutter engraver (cuts wood up to 1/4 thick)
CNC router(s) up to 4 ft X 8 ft X 5in thick material.
CNC Mill
8X 3D Printers
workstations with SolidWorks, or Sketchup-Pro
Wood SHop
Metal shop - Mig, Tig, Pasma cutting, lathe, mill, etc welder.gif
Foundry
Glass blowing shop
Robot & Electronics shop

It is open 24/7 to any member and it is only $50 a month blink.gif

Needless to say, I am joining.
I think my first project will be a CF front Air Dam.
I plan on cutting an airdam positive core on the CNC router, then vacuum forming over it.

You cant work on cars on the premises, but you can do all the car parts that you want.

These places are gaining popularity very quickly. Check your local area to see if you might have one.

None around here that I can find, but it'd be cool if someone were to make a flared LE type front valance. There are a handful of flared cars without front mounted oil coolers, and I think it'd look good.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.