Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel tank install - how best to ... ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
figure out how to orient the blocks and do you glue them to the body to keep them
in place?

and how best to block off the return nipple, I guess short price of hose with a bolt in it?

oh, and is expansion tank needed. it has two ports but I see only one on the fuel filler assy?
malcolm2
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 24 2013, 01:42 PM) *

figure out how to orient the blocks and do you glue them to the body to keep them
in place?

Without a helper, I set the tank in the hole without blocks, then just lift the tank abit on one side and slide the block in. Same thing on the other side. Work back and forth and side to side to get it low enough and level. Orientation is simple. Each block has a slit, that goes on the seam of the tank. the other side has a point, that goes around the fender. test fit for RGT and LFT.

With a helper, you get one side they get the other....

Didn't think about glue, plus if the tank is like the rest of my car, I'll be pulling it out at least 2 more times before I get it right. headbang.gif headbang.gif

Hey, I don't see a "SOCK" for the outlet pipe. You will need one of those. And it does matter which hole is the outlet.
jimkelly
thanks

I do have the sock and think it won't fit into the return port because the return port is too shallow.
malcolm2
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 24 2013, 02:26 PM) *

thanks

I do have the sock and think it won't fit into the return port because the return port is too shallow.

Your right, I do remember my 75 return pipe was pointed and the tank was double walled with a small hole to accept the point. No way the sock would fit without destroying it.
johnhora
the "sock" goes into the larger inlet hole from the outside of the tank (fuel pump suction side)
you will also need one of the red fiber washers ...
I think racer chris has the socks and washers on his site
jimkelly
his site calls it a - seal washer - no pic

but it is metal, maybe copper.

http://www.tangerineracing.com/stainlessfuellines.htm

IPB Image
Dave_Darling
A short length of good hose with a bolt in it, and clamps on both ends, should work for plugging the other line. Or, since the whole thing is already out, you can take a spare fitting and weld it closed. Or possibly just make a round disk out of metal and put that in where the fitting went, retained by the same nut.

The expansion tank is handy. The fuel does expand and contract with heat and cold (not much, but it does!) and you have to let air into the tank as you drain the fuel out. The expansion tank provides air for all of that to happen.

The second port on the expansion tank hooks up to the charcoal canister. That's a handy way to keep fuel smell out of the cabin, especially if you hook up the correct port on the canister to the air intake for the engine, allowing you to burn the fuel vapors that come out of it.

--DD
jimkelly
is there an alternate to a charcoal filter? something smaller that I can mount up front?

every time I turn around - it seems Porsche did something FOR A REASON biggrin.gif
johnhora
good advise from Dave....
I have done both the hose with a bolt and clamp method and once cut a piece of rubber to fit the return nut and put a flat washer in between to hold the rubber and this sealed the tank....it actually is nice to have the return line even on carbs as recirculates the fuel and gives you a line for any pressure regulator with a return bleed off...I always liked the one from PMO...had it on 914s and 911s...

here is a picture of the tank fittings and washer/nut placement...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.