Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's a rebuilt transmission worth?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skeates
Been searching through past threads and the usual suspects (ebay, the samba, 914world classifieds, etc.) and I can't seem to find a consistent price for a re-built side-shift trans axle. What would be a fair asking price?
cwpeden
If your selling: I'll give you 50 bucks....you pay shipping.

Kidding aside. I was offered one for the price of the parts to rebuild. Retail price.
Depends on who rebuilt it vs just looking over used parts. Also add in parts replaced.. New or so call good used. This correlates to miles before one has to redo trans and cost down the line. Just my. 02 view of you get what you pay for...$500-$5000 with all new parts via a pro
jimkelly
are you buying or selling?

if buying, get in touch with dr evil.

if selling, few buyers will take you word for it that it is rebuilt and in good working order, unless you have run it in a car after the rebuild and can confirm its functionality.

all the best
Spoke
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 25 2013, 07:13 AM) *

if buying, get in touch with dr evil.

agree.gif

Send your trans to the Dr and have it done right.
walterolin
Or go to an Evil clinic, meet some other addicts, and drink a little(lot). Not counting transportation, food, and lodging, it cost about $650.00 for the rebuild, and mine needed a lot of parts. I thought that was a pretty good price, and I got to meet Evil and a bunch of Canucks who were still worked up over the war of 1812.
stephenaki
I paid $300 for my trans, not rebuilt but it was allegedly run in a car up until a couple of months ago.
Ian Stott
A transmission redone by Dr. Evil, or by someone who attended one of his clinics that was supervised by him, is easily worth $1200.00 in my opinion.
If Walter did it then you can add another $50.00 cause he was a fun guy, can drink a lot, has a nice dog, and he invited me to go to the Kentucky Derby!
What is this 1812 you are whining about?? That moonshine you were drinking was made then!!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
skeates
Thanks for the feedback! Guess I should have provided more context. I'm actually looking to sell the transmission that I just rebuilt at Dr. Evil's clinic here in Cali last week-end. New ring and pinion plus new set of dog teeth for 1st gear.

So, sounds like somewhere between $900 and $1200 then?
Jon B
QUOTE(skeates @ Oct 25 2013, 09:13 AM) *
I'm actually looking to sell the transmission that I just rebuilt at Dr. Evil's clinic here in Cali last week-end. New ring and pinion plus new set of dog teeth for 1st gear.

You need to describe your transmission accurately.

"New ring & pinion" means brand new, never used.
"Rebuilt transmission" means brand new bearings, synchros, etc.

Other terms which might apply:
"Reconditioned transmission"
"Repaired transmission"
"Thoroughly inspected"
"Good ring & pinion"
"Good used bearings & synchros"

Jon B.
Vista, CA
walterolin
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Oct 25 2013, 09:31 AM) *

A transmission redone by Dr. Evil, or by someone who attended one of his clinics that was supervised by him, is easily worth $1200.00 in my opinion.
If Walter did it then you can add another $50.00 cause he was a fun guy, can drink a lot, has a nice dog, and he invited me to go to the Kentucky Derby!
What is this 1812 you are whining about?? That moonshine you were drinking was made then!!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Hi Ian!

The lobster was good, too.
914work
$800-1K for a refubished 901 inc: *New* 1st/rev. slider ($500!) & good used synchro rings and dog teeth.
balljoint
QUOTE(walterolin @ Oct 25 2013, 02:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Oct 25 2013, 09:31 AM) *

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Hi Ian!

The lobster was good, too.

I've been in trouble for singing the wrong hymn in church ever since.

Dr Evil
Not as much as you might think. Jon B brings up a point of contention with many when one uses the word "rebuilt". Some consider this to mean that you replaced everything in it with new, even if it was not necessary. As long as you are clear on what you did and the condition of this now inspected transmission, you can feel confident that you are not leading anyone astray.

As for cost, you tell me. I dont usually sell rebuilts at a flat rate. I get a core, put some parts in it, and sell it for what I have into it. If it will take too much to put into it then I will part it out.

Your R/P is not new, it was replaced with good used, as were many of the parts.

Prices that I have seen range from $750-1200. There are ones for sale on ebay always from Carquip that are listed as "rebuilt". They have NEVER answered an email from me about what that term means to them and if they are using used or new parts. However, for that price I can guaranty that they are using either no new parts or very few.

Another consideration is warranty. Will you/can you warranty it will last x amount of miles/months? When I do my rebuilds, I do warranty them. Basically, I just want the customer to be happy and feel secure that if it takes a shit (has never happened, thankfully) I will do my utmost to make them whole and get them back on the road. I didnt build yours so I can not warranty it. However, if it developed a problem for you or for the next owner I would still be inclined to help them get things back in order and would not be looking to make any $$ on the process of doing that.

Short enough answer?
Jon B
Agree, good points, except I don't consider "rebuilt... to mean that you replaced everything in it with new, even if it was not necessary". In general, a "rebuilt transmission" means everything was inspected, properly adjusted, standard wear or failure items were replaced, as well as anything damaged or in poor condition. It does usually imply some new parts, at least bearings and synchros. Repair of 1st & 2nd gear shift parts alone does not equate to a "rebuilt transmission", as people often claim. I'm sure the OP here had no intention to mislead anyone, but words like "new ring and pinion" can mean more than new-to-me. I felt a few more words and better description were necessary.

Jon B.
Dr Evil
No one here is intending to mislead. It is the person reading, and their interpretation that often ends up with confusion if more description is not added. Skeates is a good guy and I helped him rebuild his box.

I consider that a rebuilt box is basically what you posted, with the exception that I do not change things to new if I have good used. Synchro bands do not have to be bought new "just because".

Agree that "new r/p" is misleading. Definitely unintentionally. We replaced with used, which neither adds value nor detracts from the general transmission rebuilt. The buyer will expect that the R/P is in good order and if it were not repaired then the box would be worth far less. Thus, replacing the R/P only brings the box up to par.
skeates
Thanks all for your responses. My intent is certainly not to mislead anyone regarding the state of this transmission. I am only interested in figuring out a fair price range before I list it for sale in the classifieds section. I have learned that I need to be a bit more careful with the terms I use describe it in the listing! Thanks for the edumacation beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.