Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn Signal Repair Solution
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jollyroger
I am having a tough time getting the turn signals on my 1972 914 to work. I have replaced the Turn Signal Flasher Relay, the Turn Signal Switch(on the steering column) and the Hazard Switch. None of these have solved the problem and I still do not have working turn signals. Help!!!
pcar916
I had the same problem once a long time ago. The first operation, unless you've already done it, is to clean all bulb connections. That solved all of my problems. Assuming that's done...

... and you have no fuse or internal wiring-harness (shorting) issues, you have to start checking for grounds and voltages on individual wires.

Be methodical and write everything down. Then post the results. We can help better with more information.

Good luck

Oh yes welcome.png
type47
I think the circuits are the same for 72 and 74. Look around tracks 41 for turn signal circuits:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/Elec...lectric_74C.jpg

Cap'n Krusty
Did youse the OE type FOUR pin flasher relay? There are other types of 4 pin flashers that don't work because the circuitry inside is different, and 3 pin units won't work.

The Cap'n
Jollyroger
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 25 2013, 10:48 AM) *

Did youse the OE type FOUR pin flasher relay? There are other types of 4 pin flashers that don't work because the circuitry inside is different, and 3 pin units won't work.

The Cap'n

I thought they were original style since I ordered one from Auto Atlanta and one from Pelican parts and they both had the correct 914 prefix on the part number

Jollyroger
Spoke
QUOTE(Jollyroger @ Oct 25 2013, 11:05 AM) *

I am having a tough time getting the turn signals on my 1972 914 to work. I have replaced the Turn Signal Flasher Relay, the Turn Signal Switch(on the steering column) and the Hazard Switch. None of these have solved the problem and I still do not have working turn signals. Help!!!

From your description, it is not apparent what is not working. Do the lamps light up but not blink? Do they not light up at all? Please provide some more information.

BTW, here is a simplified schematic of the turn signal circuit in the 1972 914.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.