Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Only have the red key, how to cut the black?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
agrump
Greetings,

When Ibought my car I only got the red key which only fits the doors and ignition, not the trunk or glove box. What is the difference between the red and black key? Is it just the key blank or is the cut different? How can I get a proper black key made?

Thanks,

Dean
sj914
You have the valet key. The black key and the red key uses the same blank. The difference is the valet key is just cut different enough to allow a valet to have access to your car so they can park it. On the other hand you could have a car with mis matched locks.

One way to get a working black key is to have a locksmith make a key for the trunk.
SLITS
Just rekey them all to work with one........makes it easier to steal everything IPB Image
markb
QUOTE (sj914 @ Dec 21 2004, 06:06 AM)

One way to get a working black key is to have a locksmith make a key for the trunk.

IPB Image
neo914-6
scott thacher on this bbs can rekey your locks, do a search....
Felix
markb
QUOTE (Jaiderenegadesimpson V8 914 @ Dec 21 2004, 08:31 AM)
someone on this bbs can rekey your locks but I forget who....
Felix

I can
neo914-6
Merk,
What do you charge? PM if you want.
Felix
markb
The local locksmiths around here charge $27 per lock, but they're pros. I just taught myself and have a bunch of extra locks to supply wafers. How about $10.00 per lock, you pay shipping? Ignitions would have to be a tad more, cause they're more of a pain to get right. If you're missing a lock, I have some, just send a key. I also have 2 complete 914 lock sets. One with brand new, still attatched to the card keys. The things I learn from being bored at the shop on slow days. IPB Image I'm in the process now of finding out how good the AA replacement door handles work. Dave @ GPR got me a set of both pieces, and I'll be messing with them for a few days. Also gonna order some from what used to be Tweeks & see what kind of quality they have.
aircooledboy
QUOTE (markb @ Dec 21 2004, 10:44 AM)
I'm in the process now of finding out how good the AA replacement door handles work. Dave @ GPR got me a set of both pieces, and I'll be messing with them for a few days. Also gonna order some from what used to be Tweeks & see what kind of quality they have.

Keep us up to date on that, will you Mark. I need to do some handle repairs and would love to hear your assessment of the various parts out there. IPB Image
Reiche
I think the two keys have the same cuts on them. The difference between the master and valet key is the width of the slot on the side of the key.
Flat VW
Thread Thief IPB Image

In my 72' car, I can't see how a person could ever lock or unlock the "glove box" ( what is the euro name?) IPB Image with the key. The "dash board" is way too close, it looks to even insert the key , let alone turn it? IPB Image IPB Image
markb
The key fits in the glovebox lock no problem. At least I've never had a problem. Also, I believe Reiche is correct about differences in the slot(s) on the side of the key. IIRC, one has a single and one has a double.

aircooledboy wrote:
Keep us up to date on that, will you Mark. I need to do some handle repairs and would love to hear your assessment of the various parts out there.

I'll definately do that. I've called Dave & let him know about a couple of small problems I encountered, and he was going to talk with George about them. Minor adjustments, I think.
Rgreen914
QUOTE (Reiche @ Dec 21 2004, 10:10 AM)
I think the two keys have the same cuts on them. The difference between the master and valet key is the width of the slot on the side of the key.

Reiche

Don't have the car handy, but the keys are in front of me. The slots appear to be the same width, but the red key has an extra slot (on both sides) that the black key doesn't; in addition, the red key has some "ears" cut into it that the black key lacks.

Ron
Reiche
Ah yes that's it. I was going on memory.
Joe Ricard
Scott Thatcher just did mine. Very quick turn around and everything works perfect.
scotty914
one problem with a key not working in a lock it should. is dirt. joes locks had enough dirt in em that the key would not go all the way in IPB Image . i had to soak em for half an hour just to blow out all the dirt, the pins had to be pushed out even the little spring would not push the tumblers out. one thing for people who try to do this your self, some times these locks have vw tumblers and they need to be checked, because when they wear they can cause a lock not to work very quickly

ask joe what a very clean and lubed lock feels like.

just so people know, i charge 20 for one lock, 40 for a whole set. and i pay return shipping.
markb
Hi Scott, I don't want to step on toes here, so hopefully people will go to you first. I'm just doing this for the learning experience and don't want to horn in. I did manage a biggie (to me anyway) today, I figured out how to get the lock assembly apart out of a 911 SC. Hardly anybody does these, and I couldn't find a diagram anywhere. Those d@mn blind pins are a pain! Now I need to decide whether to attempt rekeying it. IPB Image
agrump
Reiche was right. IPB Image

I got a black key blank cut the same as my red key and it works perfectly on all of the locks.

Thanks All!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.