Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Winter Solstice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rhodes71/914
Just wanted everyone to know that today is Winter Solstice, shortest day of the year and the begining of winter. Here is an article from the Portsmouth Herald with additional info if you care to read.

Celebrate with some friends! IPB Image
Winter solstice today evokes ancient rituals

By Karen Dandurant
kdandurant@seacoastonline.com

PORTSMOUTH - Most people know that the winter solstice marks the beginning of winter.

In New England, the 2004 solstice begins today at 7:41 a.m.

University of New Hampshire physics professor Terry Forbes said in the world of science, the solstice officially happens at 12:41 p.m., universal time.

"That’s Greenwich time, the time it would be in London," said Forbes. "The solstice is a measurement of the moment in time when the tilt angle of Earth is most pointed away from the sun. It’s the summer solstice, the opposite, in Australia."

Forbes said most people don’t know exactly what the solstice is, but do know it’s the shortest day of the year.

"We ask people why it’s cold and they think the Earth is farther away from the sun," said Forbes. "Not true; it’s the tilting of the northern hemisphere away from the sun. The angle’s different, that’s why it’s cold."

In the Northern Hemisphere, the winter solstice occurs when the sun shines directly over the tropic of Capricorn; the summer solstice in June is when the sun shines directly over the tropic of Cancer.

The origin of the word solstice comes from Latin solstitium, from sol, "sun" and -stitium, "a stoppage." Following the solstice, the days gradually get longer and the nights shorter.

In pagan cultures, the solstice celebrates the rebirth of the sun to the Earth, and the beginning of winter. Also called Yule, the solstice heralds the coming of light and celebrations that have been surrounding the holiday for thousands of years and are the roots of modern Christmas celebrations.

According to various Web sites, decorating the Christmas tree comes from a pagan celebration of creating a Yule tree.

The Yule tree was often decorated naturally, using herbs, berries and flowers. Candles adorned the tree, representing the light of the sun, about to be reborn. Yule wreaths are hung on the doorway to bless the home.

In the Wiccan religion, the Goddess manifests as the Great Mother and the God as the Sun Child. The God also appears as Santa Claus and Old Man Winter, another custom adopted by Christian religions.

Solstice celebrations can be traced to an ancient fear that the failing light would never return unless humans intervened with anxious vigil, charitable acts or ritual celebration.

It isn’t a stretch to see that the need to hold onto certain traditions today, such as Christmas trees, decorations, family dinners, parties and gifts are echoes of a past that extends back thousands of years.

"I read somewhere that the Christians adopted Christmas, a pagan ritual, because they couldn’t get natives to stop practicing their own ritual," said Forbes.
Root_Werks
IPB Image And it is after today that the days start to get longer again correct? By 1 minute per day? IPB Image
drgchapman
Horray!!!!, the days are getting looooonger. Especially for those of us above the 45th parallel. Root, the days get longer by degree, not neccessarily 1 minute per day. As the season wears on the increments get larger.
This is one of my favorite days of the year. Perks me right up. IPB Image
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Dec 21 2004, 10:49 AM)
IPB Image And it is after today that the days start to get longer again correct? By 1 minute per day? IPB Image

Yes, depends on your lattitude as to how much gain per day. here is a visual
Rhodes71/914
Reference
Rhodes71/914
It sucks to live near the arcticle circle this time of year, BTDT.

Great in the summer though
Root_Werks
Ah, that is where I got the 1 minute thing. Roughly the time we gain per day up here for a few months, which makes sense now. I feel educated! Thanks guys! IPB Image
Steve Thacker
IPB Image Winter= Snow...the worthless white stuff.
Root_Werks
Up here, IF we get snow, it is only for a day or two at a time maybe in Jan or Feb. Rarely any other month than those. Need a snow smiley. IPB Image
SLITS
I think I'm gonna run nekked thru the streets in celebration rocking nana.gif
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE (SLITS @ Dec 21 2004, 04:07 PM)

Uhlr the God of Snow would prolly like that. IPB Image
scotty914
QUOTE (SLITS @ Dec 21 2004, 04:07 PM)

must get image out IPB Image did not work get it out IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

and ron go join aanr and do that some where you cant get arrested
Bruce Allert
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Dec 21 2004, 12:29 PM)
Up here, IF we get snow, it is only for a day or two at a time maybe in Jan or Feb. Rarely any other month than those. Need a snow smiley. IPB Image

Steve Thacker Posted on Dec 21 2004, 12:21 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Winter= Snow...the worthless white stuff.

IPB Image

Ya! and then the rain washes it away...
Here too most of the time IPB Image

......b
Rick_Eberle
We just had the Summer Solstice, and man is it hot!

Rick
ppickerell
If I was'nt so full from dinner, I would sacfrifice a virgin.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.