Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crash damage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ppickerell
I am posting these for my son who had a fender bender. The question is who in Norcal can fix this and what will it cost? Car is otherwise very nice.
ppickerell
crash2
ppickerell
crash3
ppickerell
crash4
ppickerell
crash5
Root_Werks
It is fixable, if the insurance Co tries to total it, don't let them. Buy it back if they do. IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
ppickerell
McMark, apart from your neverending quest to combat oxidation, is this your kinda thing?
ppickerell
No insurance will be involved. IPB Image
Root_Werks
I am really sorry to hear that Patrick. Best of luck to you. I would try to fix it. Probably wouldn't pull it all out, but, well, start by pulled it out, then if you are not happy, cut out and replace only what is needed. Have alingment checked. most places should "check" for free.
Jeroen
Looks like the inner fender is nicked as well... IPB Image
Might be a job for McMark
It may need some tweeking on a rig. Scott Yeaman (Palo Alto) has one
Root_Werks
Patrick, what happended man? IPB Image To the 914 that is. Was it hit, did the driver hit someone?
GTeener
Contact Yeaman Autobody in Palo Alto. They know 914's IPB Image
Jenny
Mark's friend Brandon does body work up in Napa. He did my silver car, but I don't think you ever saw it. Otherwise, Yeaman auto body in Palo Alto, but he's considerably pricier. Scott does awesome work though. Well worth the money, if you have it!

Jen
ppickerell
My son was driving on Bollinger Canyon Road a week after I bought the car for him and according to him a lady that was parked on the shoulder pulled out onto the roadway just as he was passing by and clipped him.
I saw pix of you car post-crash Jenny and that was what got me to thinking about McMark and Brandon. I would think any body shp can fix it (for sure Yeoman's), but I am trying to keep the cash within the club!
Jenny
I'll PM you brandon's info. Give me a sec to locate it.
ppickerell
Jen,
Thanks,
greg.treadway
From the looks of the pictures and knowing that new fenders run about $1600, I would think that the repair would cost between $2500-3000. Sorry to hear about the problem. I hate to see that.
ppickerell
I paid $2000 for the car. IPB Image
Allan
I have a pretty good fender on a '76 you can have if you want to come to Bakersfield and cut it off.
SirAndy
QUOTE (GTeener @ Dec 21 2004, 02:49 PM)
Contact Yeaman Autobody in Palo Alto. They know 914's IPB Image

IPB Image Scott's a 914 guy as well and he knows these little cars inside-out ...

call him!

Yeaman Auto Body
2025 East Bayshore Road
Palo Alto, CA 94303
tel.: 650 328-8169
vortrex
my 914 was hit in the rear. rear clip replaced (used), rear trunk replaced (used), and both rear fenders bumped out. cost was about $3300 7 years ago.
greg.treadway
Let me know how it turns out. I was just throwing in my 2ยข.
tiim5
McMark and Brandon are the best! They are moving into a new shop soon but can start the work now I would bet.
They did my Zambezi, great body work paint and rustoration. McMark can show you pics of the work on my car. I think the website is paintandmetal.com
EdwardBlume
Are these guys really good detail types?? like for a CW restoration? rocking nana.gif
bernbomb914
I'll bet Brad has front fenders in stock plus anything else you might need

Bernie
Mueller
QUOTE (tiim5 @ Dec 21 2004, 07:11 PM)
McMark and Brandon are the best! They are moving into a new shop soon but can start the work now I would bet.
They did my Zambezi, great body work paint and rustoration. McMark can show you pics of the work on my car. I think the website is paintandmetal.com

Ed....your car is beautiful man......I cannot believe that the car I picked up from McMark is "supposed" to be the same color as yours...I was afraid to walk past it while getting tools and such .....it's it going to be a ride to be proud of IPB Image
Mueller
QUOTE (Rob Ways @ Dec 21 2004, 07:19 PM)
Are these guys really good detail types?? like for a CW restoration? rocking nana.gif

Rob, I'd have to say yes....I questioned Mark for about 30 minutes on how he approaches his projects....all of my concerns had been answered, he's a young guy, but I think he's going to do well in this business.....
ppickerell
Andy,
Does Scott Y. hang out here at all? Anybody with similar damage want to hazard a gues at Scotts or Brandon's cost on this repair?
Allan
Okay. Here is the deal. I have a complete front end that you can have for free if you want to come and cut it off. I and my son will help and supply all the saws you will need. If you want it. IPB Image
ppickerell
Allan,
Thank you for the generous offer. I think that I will need just the last 18 inches of the right side fender. But if the pound and paint guy says so I may be down there with a trailer. IPB Image I have a roller here, but it seems too nice to carve.
McMark
I could do it. It would probably take me a full day to do the fitting and welding. That whole fender would have to be painted. Brandon does the painting so I can't quote you a price on his work. But my guess from past experience would be that it would be about $400- $500 to cut and weld, and about $1000 for painting. Paint might be able to be had cheaper if we cut a few corners.

Brandon is available at 707-255-3308. This is his only line, so it's has a house type answering machine message. Just leave a message.
I'm available at 707-738-5686.

Yes we do CW type restorations. Those are the most fun. PaintAndMetal.com
I can't wait for the premier of Ed's car coming Jan or Feb. IPB Image
monkei
those are some good numbers. i could afford the 500$ or so for the repair relatively easily and just primer it myself until i can afford repaint

Was it hit, did the driver hit someone?

it was hit! some lady pulled off to the side of the road at the fork on crow canyon going off in the direction of norris canyon, she came to a very brief stop and as i was beggining to pass her pulled right back on without looking, leaving me nowhere to go. IPB Image

as for the source of the fender, not quite sure yet. its been pretty depressing to see that car at least 3 times a day (at break) with its current wounds and not being able to drive it (headlights somewhat stuck). i was just about ready to do a big suspension and brake upgrade. IPB Image the two insurance companies involved are in arbitration still and I havent heard anything in at least a month. anyways, this thread gives me some hope for possibly being able to have a whole 914 running and handling well sometime by mid-late 05.
tiim5
Thanks Mike. I am very pleased with the work Mark and Brandon have done. I was able to talk with them thoroughly about my car its needs and the project in great detail with them. It is so reassuring to talk to real enthusiasts whose primary objective is doing the work correctly. They are sensitive to pricing and clients needs and abilities.
I am eager to attend an event to show everyone the work they do. My sense is they will soon be backed up with work once the word spreads about the their work and cost. Mark also does repair and rebuilding. He will be doing the build on my 2270.
EdwardBlume
Cool site. I dig the oval bug.

I didn't recognize the name at first! It'd be cool to have you take care of my Dad's car. I need to continue to pull it apart and then will need to figure out what to do with the bodywork. The tear down on my side might take awhile unless I get some volunteers.
McMark
The bug has been and is going to be really fun. It crazy to work on a car with so much "original" sheet metal and parts available. At that stuff is so crazy cheap. Seems like every section of metal is only $20! Insanity.

Rob, just organize some "events". IPB Image Some free sodas and maybe a BBQ and you'll have a bare tub in no time! IPB Image
Trekkor
QUOTE (greg.treadway @ Dec 21 2004, 03:05 PM)
From the looks of the pictures and knowing that new fenders run about $1600

Greg doesn't know about the Club-buddy-system-of-cheap-or-free-parts-to-avoid-buying-crazy-over-priced-new-ones , yet. IPB Image

KT
d914
had a small discussion with a wall at AMS simular crunch, $2600 local body shop...
greg.treadway
I have to admit I'm not in the habit of giving anything away. That's because I sell parts for a living. Just FYI, a good, totally rust free used fender for that car is $650. So, if you can get one for free - that is the way to go.
mikerose
QUOTE (greg.treadway @ Dec 22 2004, 07:55 AM)
I have to admit I'm not in the habit of giving anything away. That's because I sell parts for a living. Just FYI, a good, totally rust free used fender for that car is $650. So, if you can get one for free - that is the way to go.

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
Just my .02
Joe Bob
So...the twit pulled out and your son clipped the twit....why is the twit not paying? IPB Image
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (mikez @ Dec 22 2004, 09:36 AM)
So...the twit pulled out and your son clipped the twit....why is the twit not paying? IPB Image

its california.....who has insurance these days mike? IPB Image
ppickerell
I had just bought the car and passed it over to my son who had not even registered it yet and had therfor not added the car to his insurance. In Cali the police will not come out unless there are injuries and also there were no independent witnesses so determination of fault is tricky. It is probably best to just fix the car ourselves. Otherwise if it is filed as a claim they jack up your rates anyway!
blpenserini
From the looks of the damage, doesn't seem like it can be "pulled" out. It should probably be resectioned. My partner Mark and I can do it, probably in the $2000 range if that helps. The shop will be open around Feb. but we might be able to squeeze you in before that if need be. -Brandon
Root_Werks
QUOTE (greg.treadway @ Dec 22 2004, 07:55 AM)

Greg, just FYI, lots of people have given lots away here to other teeners. I sold a compete running 1.7 FI for $100, gave away a nice 914 bra for free etc. Those are just the recent ones. BUT I also sell parts and own a shop, so I do make a living off of things, but try not to mention I can sell something to someone with each post. Just be careful, it sounds to me like you keep trying to pedal products off on people. We don't need that here (let me just speak for everyone eh? IPB Image ), I think we can all find the parts we need when we need them. Contribute please, don't pedal products so much. It is getting anoying. IPB Image
greg.treadway
Dan, I'm not pedaling anything on this thread. I was just suggesting that if the fender was $650 - there is no way the repair could be a few hundred dollars as suggested. That is why I said if you can get a free fender don't turn it down. And then other posts have confirmed my guess in price as you see. I'm not sure why my information is less valuable than anyone elses. I will keep trying harder though.
ppickerell
I have personally let people pick stuff off of my engine cores and rollers at no charge, I have pressed out bushings and pedal board split pins, laser cut exhaust flanges and abalone inlays for club members all without charging one red cent. It's a club right?

Brandon, since this is on my son's budget he will probably have the cut and weld done for now, and have the whole car painted late next year.
Root_Werks
Sorry Greg, just seems like every time you post something, it has some sort of reference to AA. Then again, you are a parts guy from AA so you probably gauge just about everything by what you carry/sell? Don't know? Either way, always gald to have another teener on the club. Please excuse me if I came off rude. I am really trying to give you a chance here as some others are. I too had some rather poor experiences with AA that left a rather bad taste in my mouth. You are trying, so I will too.

Life is good.
Life is good.
Life is good.
Life is good.
Life is good.
IPB Image
Root_Werks
QUOTE (ppickerell @ Dec 22 2004, 01:46 PM)
I have personally let people pick stuff off of my engine cores and rollers at no charge, I have pressed out bushings and pedal board split pins, laser cut exhaust flanges and abalone inlays for club members all without charging one red cent. It's a club right?

Brandon, since this is on my son's budget he will probably have the cut and weld done for now, and have the whole car painted late next year.

Labor is what I tend to give away most. I have works countless hours for free for people, good people, 914 club people. IPB Image
greg.treadway
I understand, believe me. I have had bad experiences with all the Porsche vendors in one way or another order parts personally. I just chaulk it up to life...

I just worked with a club member at the counter today who is having his 911 steering wheel recovered and got a poor job. Even though we had not touched this item we found color swatches, took digital pics and sent the item on our Fed Ex bill for free back to the vendor for him with instructions on what had gone wrong. I do free stuff everyday. I have also been offering club members that contact me directly discounts - ask around and you'll see. I do gauge a lot by my working at AA. I don't know how to be that objective. I know what I know.
Trekkor
Early in the year I gave away, for free, a near complete '74 1.8 to a Clubber.
( I sold the clean front hood to a Clubber for $100 ) IPB Image

He decided to pass on the project, so he's going to give it back to me.

I recently gave away my set of used Falkens and my stock steel wheels.
I got a 2.0 F.I. brain for $40.
Many parts have been given to me or sold at amazing prices.
Plus the loaners are cool...

thanks to: Perry, McMark, Randal, Bill P., Brad, Rich Bontempi, Root, Martin Baker. Sorry if I missed someone.

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.