Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Stand
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aveale
Family,

The size and shape of the 914 motor is a little wonky.

Has anyone had success with an engine hoist or stand that allows for good access and cleaning once the powerplant is removed?

OR-

Do people leave it resting on the ground/platform?

Any info would be great and happy holidays?

T
type11969
I've done the on the ground thing, once it is all taken apart it is wasy to move it around to clean it. Reassembly I don't suggest doing on the ground since the crank has to be dropped into one half from above (studs get in the way of the case half lying on the ground). But, if you take a milk crate and cut some holes in it for the studs to pass through along with the rods, you got yourself a cheap assembly stand for the shortblock at least.

I bought a v8 adjustable engine stand from a neighbor for 25 bucks, it works great and no more kneeling on the ground during assembly. You can also buy a bench mounted engine stand from most VW places that would work well too, just make sure your bench can take the weight of the engine!

-Chris
URY914
Talk about timing. Last weekend I built a stand for my engine and tranny out of 2x4's and plywood on casters. I'll take some shots of it tonight and post them.
bernbomb914
We welded the bench stand on the v/8 stand . works good, kills 2 birds with stone. see pics
bernbomb914
aa
Rhodes71/914
Not really practical for splitting the case and doing engine internals but has worked great for everything that I have done. Had the P&Cs off. Can be raised and lowered, rolls around. I can use it to take the engine out and put it in as well. I think it is actually a transmission stand.
newdeal2
I used a JC Whitney engine stand with a VW addaptor:
newdeal2
Here's a picture. It cost about $100.00:
newdeal2
You can move it around and rotate the case for easy access.
jim912928
newdeal...that is one pretty engine!
newdeal2
Thanks...it's my first re build. Jake has me a little concerned but so far it's running pretty good IPB Image

I kept it basically "stock" 94 euro pistons/ cylinders and a Webcam/lifter set and added a type 1 oil pump. Not sure I picked the best pistons [AA] but I had a very tight budget. I had the heads and crank done by a pro along with an align bore and new oil galley plugs [tapped in that is].

Hope it breaks in good. If not I just may do it again. It was a fun job.
McMark
I love these four cylinder engines. IPB Image
URY914
I have a true engine stand but this is my engine/tranny stand IPB Image
URY914
Its made out of some left over plywood. (its the plywood I had on my windows during the hurricanes IPB Image )

It has casters under it.
URY914
I also have a engine only stand.
URY914
It is also on casters and made from unistruct steel.
URY914
sorry so small (boy, have I said that before IPB Image )

Here is a closeup.
Eric Taylor
Where do you get this VW Workbench Adaptor? i've Been looking for one, and I currently just have my engine on a V8 stand, but it's holding both case half's, so I can't split it yet.
Eric
bernbomb914
I bought mine on ebay $20.00 they are in catologs for 29.95. any VW type will work.

Bernie
Dr Evil
If you can wait till after new years when I can ship it, you can have mine for $20 + shipping. It is the same type that Bernie has welded onto the other stand.
URY914
Look in any HotVW mag in the multi page ads in the back and they'll be there.

Paul
ArtechnikA
i use a 4-arm P201 (factory stand) in the factory bench-clamp holder, bolted to the factory grey pillar, bolted to the concrete floor of the garage. found the whole deal on EBay.

i just don't trust the 2-arm holders with a /6, and that's all i do ...

although i got a good deal it was not cheap, but then neither is a /6 falling onto the ground - or your feet... i've done too many rebuilds on work benches and card tables -- when the proper tool came along at an affordable price, i was glad to pay it.
914forme
I got one off Ebay that uses a V8 stand as it base, very nice will hold an /6 but it wil also hold a four very well. The VW 2 arm stands can break the case around the upper bolt hole if you are not careful. don't ask IPB Image

So the bucks you save are nothing once you bust a case.

I think the guy also advertises in Excellence. Very nice and easy to work with. Here is a link to their site!
aveale
well thanx all,

There was quite a range of products there from a milk crate to a billeted aluminum jobber.

Have a great break, and rest well as you have helped a poor sod today!

T
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.