Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sanding her down
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BahnBrenner914
so i finally have my baby all sanded down and stripped to bare metal except for some nooks and crannies. and i must say, she looks good naked. but anyways, i was sanding in the grooves where the trunk rubber was that i pulled out and there is a lot of this rubbery glue crap in there that wont sand out or will take way to long. does anyone have an idea of how to remove this easily and/or quickly? thanks
aircooledboy
3M makes a "Weatherstrip Adhesive Remover". Won't take off all types of adhesives, but will take off most quite nicely.
brant
what about a mechanical means...

perhaps one of those wire wheel brushes?
brant
watsonrx13
Aaron, I just recently stripped the rear trunk. I used Aircraft stripper to remove any glue and paint and used a wire-wheel to remove the seam-sealer.

Here's a shot of the trunk, you'll notice in the lower left corner the stripped channel...
Allan
I was told that Acetone (If you have proper ventilation) will take off the adhesive. I bought some yesterday to try on the glue that was holding on the pad at the firewall in the engine compartment. We will see. IPB Image
Aaron Cox
how long did it take you to block sand her?

i need to do that soon...get ready for paint IPB Image
BahnBrenner914
i didnt sand it all the way down. we started sanding and scraping (thats how crappy the paint was) the top coat off and after 18 hours of sanding (2 guys with power sanders) we had a snowcamo looking unevenly painted POS. so i went out and bought chemical paint stripper. stuff will burn through anything. the paint just bubbles up and you scrape it off. serious stuff if you want to go down to bare metal.

and thanks for the suggestions guys.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.