Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Injector
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wilchek
I have not run my 1.7 in two months. Whe I started it up fuel was coming out of the passenger front injector. I put it away and waited over night to work on to. When I looked at it today it was bone dry and did not leak at all even after 5 minutes of running. Not sure where it was leaking from, injector,seal, hose etc. any guess? The hoses seem to be ok. Do the seal in the injectors leak when dry. Seemed odd as it was leaking a lot. I am thinking replacing the injector,seals and hoses as when it leaks it drips on the header which seems ideal for a barbecue.

Where can I source a new yellow injector. It seems no one has them. I remember when the yellow were easy and the green where hard to find.
arcadeforever
QUOTE(wilchek @ Oct 27 2013, 06:30 PM) *

I have not run my 1.7 in two months. Whe I started it up fuel was coming out of the passenger front injector. I put it away and waited over night to work on to. When I looked at it today it was bone dry and did not leak at all even after 5 minutes of running. Not sure where it was leaking from, injector,seal, hose etc. any guess? The hoses seem to be ok. Do the seal in the injectors leak when dry. Seemed odd as it was leaking a lot. I am thinking replacing the injector,seals and hoses as when it leaks it drips on the header which seems ideal for a barbecue.

Where can I source a new yellow injector. It seems no one has them. I remember when the yellow were easy and the green where hard to find.

I have done that whole job on my bus and its a lot of work, but well worth it, I dont think id worry about replacing the actual injector, but, if everything is original, definitely replace the little hose between the top of the injector and the fuel rail and the seals ($5 at advanced auto), the crimped end comes off by destroying the fitting, cut a new piece of good FI hose the same length and get two new FI hose clamps (non worm type) and reattach them to the fuel rail, put the new seals on and you should be good to go..

Here is a link to the seals.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wc...ection+seal+kit

arcadeforever
QUOTE(arcadeforever @ Oct 27 2013, 06:54 PM) *

QUOTE(wilchek @ Oct 27 2013, 06:30 PM) *

I have done that whole job on my bus and its a lot of work, but well worth it, I dont think id worry about replacing the actual injector, but, if everything is original, definitely replace the little hose between the top of the injector and the fuel rail and the seals ($5 at advanced auto), the crimped end comes off by destroying the fitting, cut a new piece of good FI hose the same length and get two new FI hose clamps (non worm type) and reattach them to the fuel rail, put the new seals on and you should be good to go..

Here is a link to the seals.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wc...ection+seal+kit

I shouldnt say its a LOT of work, its just about 3 hours by the time you pinch off the fuel supply, remove the fuel rails and replace the hoses and seals and put it all back together. I actually enjoyed it and you can sit back and not have to worry about your beautiful car going up in flames.

(I apologize for referring everything to "I did this on my bus" because I just got MY 914 yesterday and haven't even had time to tinker with it, my '75 VW Bus I have had for 4 years, and it has pretty much the identical setup)
wilchek
Hoses have been replaced from original. Car had HO recall done some years ago and it looks like some newer hoses after that as well
arcadeforever
QUOTE(wilchek @ Oct 27 2013, 06:58 PM) *

Hoses have been replaced from original. Car had HO recall done some years ago and it looks like some newer hoses after that as well

Maybe its just the seals then
JawjaPorsche
I would consider getting your injectors cleaned and tested. This guy does a great job at a great price.

http://www.witchhunter.com/
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(arcadeforever @ Oct 27 2013, 04:04 PM) *

Injector seals hold the injector in place and prevent air leaks. there is NO fuel in the area of the seals. The hose may leak, the injector body may leak (NOT fixable), but no fuel can leak from a place where there's no fuel.

The Cap'n
arcadeforever
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 27 2013, 07:32 PM) *

QUOTE(arcadeforever @ Oct 27 2013, 04:04 PM) *

Injector seals hold the injector in place and prevent air leaks. there is NO fuel in the area of the seals. The hose may leak, the injector body may leak (NOT fixable), but no fuel can leak from a place where there's no fuel.

The Cap'n

good point !! smile.gif
wilchek
Thanks. Thinking the injector is leaking on the seam of the injector.

Anyone have a source for new injector?
JawjaPorsche
Try these two VW Bus parts dealers

http://www.jbugs.com/

http://www.bustoration.com/

or put a WTB in classifies section. Get a used one and have Witchhunter clean them, they will come back looking like new.
wilchek
My only concern with getting them cleaned is that they are still going to leak at the mating seam on the injector. I was told that if the injector body is leaking they can't be fixed. Anyone know if when they clean them they take the body apart to replace the seals inside? It seems to me like the body is glued together.
SLITS
No one that I am aware of takes the injectors apart.

If they leak, they toss them in the junk pile and move onto another.
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 28 2013, 08:38 AM) *

No one that I am aware of takes the injectors apart.

If they leak, they toss them in the junk pile and move onto another.

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.