Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: Side Shift Transmission
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
skeates
Hi All. Just got done "re-building" my transmission at the recent Dr. Evil Transmission clinic here in Cali. To be semantically correct here I should probably described it more as a refurbishing. Since I am using a Subi transmission in my car I am selling this one (used the clinic as an excuse to learn about transmissions). While apart we did the following:

1) Replaced the first gear dog teeth with a good used set
2) Oriented all syncro bands such that the least worn side was being engaged. The molybdenum coating was determined to be in good order.
3) Replaced the ring and pinion with good used parts. In doing so Dr. Evil used a special tool (I believe a factory tool?) to measure the pinion depth so as to determine how many gaskets were required between the intermediate plate and the case (we ended up with two if you wanted to know).
4) Cleaned...cleaned...cleaned...cleaned...
5) Put everything back together and then drank some beer beer3.gif

The above parts were the only ones that we determined needed to be replaced. Everything else was in good working order. The only "deficiency" I would point out is that it does not come with a speedometer angle drive (note that the drive gear is present and perfectly working). Feel free to pm me if you would like additional photos or description. Asking $800

*Note, I'm not in a place to be able to offer a warranty in any sort of traditional sense, but I can offer that if you find that the transmission is not as advertised I'll personally send you a six pack of your favorite beer and then we can chat to figure out an equitable solution?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Free Bump with a question, did you have the preload on ring gear checked / adjusted? To my limited knowledge one can not do one with out the other.
skeates
Good question. Your "limited" knowledge is likely more extensive then mine on this point. I can say with certainty that the pinion depth was measured and set to specs. We did not however make any additional measurements to specify the pinion bearing pre-load (that I'm aware of). Let me get back to you on what the reasoning was for that.
skeates
Ok - after doing some research and conversing with some others who have experience with the 901 transmission the feedback I'm getting is that there was no need to re-set the pinion bearing pre-load (I think that is what you meant by "preload on ring gear"?). This is particularly true since we did not need to change the pinion bearing(s). Thanks for the question though, I got to do some research and learned a lot about ring and pinion gears!
Hey just trying to educate myself too. I has the same question about the preload. Most replies mentioned that "not" all ring gears are mfg the same. That is why it's check and reset. Like I've said, everyone has their own acceptance level to. Lastly, was the preload even recheck vs assume it's ok? I've been down that path before. FYI. Good luck with your sale
skeates
Bummed to hear that you aren't interested in the transmission given the interest shown in your questions. But, hey I learned something today so thanks! beer.gif
marcus p
QUOTE(skeates @ Oct 28 2013, 09:02 PM) *

Bummed to hear that you aren't interested in the transmission given the interest shown in your questions. But, hey I learned something today so thanks! beer.gif

seriously , I have a guy waiting on you to bring that thing back to me here in MN!!!

hit me up ASAP, so we can get this guy back on his 29 hour drive home...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.