Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Wiring Harness Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mikey
The car is a 1970 914-6. I bought a replacement wiring harness which has some differences from the original one.

There's a connector on the old harness that plugs into the ignition switch which is missing from the replacement harness. This is not the round donut type switch but a small 2 conductor black connector that plugs into a white block on the steering lock shaft. The two poles on this white block become connected with each other internally after the key is turned in the switch. The key can be turned in any position after that and these two poles will be shorted to each other until the key is removed. Reinserting the key doesn't short the poles together until the key is turned. I verified all this with a VOM

In the attached photo one of the poles on the black connector is connected to the brown wire with the spade connector on it. The other pole is connected to the relay socket that I'm holding. All the associated wiring is brown so I assume this is a ground wire. Does anyone know what this does? Will things work without this connector or should I jury rig something back in?

Another difference is the number and color of wires that are in this original relay socket and the relay socket on the replacement wiring harness. Process of elimination tells me that these relay sockets should be the same ones. The old socket has only 1 red and one brown wire. The replacement has 1 brown, 3 white, one yellow and no red! WTF???

Don't know how to post multiple pics so I'll post 2 messages. First the old harness.
mikey
Now the equivalent relay socket from the new harness.
JeffBowlsby
Can you find the various 914/6 schematics and study them?
echocanyons
My harness has two white one brown and one red the white are striped one with blue and one with yellow.

But definitely not two wires... I wish I was more help
echocanyons
Was you harness a Porsche replacement or made up by some other manufacturer?
mikey
[QUOTE]Was you harness a Porsche replacement or made up by some other manufacturer? [/QUOTE]

I bought it from a guy in Long Beach and the packaging had an original Porsche label and part number on it. The connectors all look the same as on the original and the wires look like they are even better quality than the original.

I'm wondering if the 914-6 harnesses changed during its short production run.

[/QUOTE]Can you find the various 914/6 schematics and study them?[QUOTE]

I have a print of a 914-6 wiring diagram. It doesn't show this additional connector and the diagram of the relay socket matches the one on the replacement harness rather than the original.
mikey
My harness has two white one brown and one red the white are striped one with blue and one with yellow.

Yep, I have one of those too. It's one of the other sockets, not the one in the picture.

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
echocanyons
OK i looked at it again there is another one that looks like it that has two brown one yellow two thick white and one skinny white with green stripe.

my harness is NOS so im guessin that its a variation

looks like there were 3 different part numbers for the harness I have 9146121910 the other two appear to have been dropped from the paorshce stock

You may want to look at a early 911 they shuld be the same I would think
echocanyons
Looks like yours
mikey
Looks like yours

Yes it does look like the same connector. Your harness looks like it's still in the bag. Where did yours come from?
echocanyons
I picked mine up through Dave Buhain in LA you?
Root_Werks
It could be a superceeded part? Lots of parts I sell to folks don't carry the same number as the original one. I have some old books where the number on some parts has changed a few times even. usually to a later model part number. Maybe Porsche just used a 911 end? IPB Image
mikey
I picked mine up through Dave Buhain in LA you?

I bought it from some guy in Long Beach. Forgot his name. He might have been named Dave but I think his name was Tony something. Brad Roberts knows who it is.

I'm just wondering if the old ignition switch will work without this additional little connector attached to anything.
sixnotfour
The little 2 prong plug is for the buzzer, the p/n listed is not USA that is why it does not have the plug.
Does the harness have the leads for the side marker lights ?
just wondering ?

Ignition will still work. I IPB Image think
mikey
The little 2 prong plug is for the buzzer, the p/n listed is not USA that is why it does not have the plug.
Does the harness have the leads for the side marker lights ?
just wondering ?

No, the harness didn't have the leads for the side marker lights. I had to scavenge them from the old harness. BTW, Which buzzer does this connector control?

Ignition will still work. I  think

Great, this is really the answer I was looking for!

This forum is a great resource...thanks guys!

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
sixnotfour
I dont know , What the euro- ROW cars had, buzzer ? relay for something ? I have too many Xmas things in the way of archives.

The extra plug is an "Additional Headlight Relay" put a round relay in and you'll be fine. IPB Image IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.