Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wiring emergency
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
I have a '75 all done and ready to go when out of nowhere I lose the lights on the right side. Front and rear t.s., running lights. When the right turn signal is deployed the relay starts buzzing instead of clicking. Everything on the left of the car is fine, right headlight is fine. While troubleshooting this, all of the right side lights come back into play EXCPT for the t.s. running lights are now on, but same issues when I flip the stalk, relay starts buzzing. ALso no gauge lights or wipers ( which I assume is a different issue )

both reverse are fine
both headlights are fine, high and low
left side t.s. work as they should

I have tried 4 different relays, all of which I know to be good
2 different flasher switches
2 different headlight switches

Car is very clean, all grounds are in good order, I pulled all of the wiring from the front and rear light housings and all looks fine. Obviously this is related to something on the right bank but I am at a complete loss now.

Something in the stalks/column ? confused24.gif
rick 918-S
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914_electrical_diagrams.htm

This electrical link has saved my butt more than once.

Let me see what Ideas I can come up with.
rick 918-S
according to the legend # 9 fuse protected Stop, turn and backup lights. So if you have backup lights and no one has messed with the wiring the fuse is likely ok.

Brake lights ok?
Tom
Seem to remember this has come up several times recently and corrosion in the bulb sockets was the issue. Also someone had reversed a couple of the wires going to the light socket. Did you have these disassembled when you were working on the body? Maybe check wiring side to side for where the wires go on the sockets.
Tom
rick 918-S
Or wrong bulb in the socket. I had an employee install a single pin bulb in place of a duel pin bulb. This was on a Waldock conversion van with a shit load of lights. Interior/ and exterior. The embarrassing thing was the owner suggested checking this bulb... wacko.gif
scotty b
clean connections, wiring is correct.

Brake lights work on both sides.

As of right now, the right turn signal, wipers, and gauge lights are non op.

Going to check the link Rick posted. I'm about to swap the stalk out of a known good parts car I have just to see what happens

I'll also add I had 3 different sets of light housing out last night just to make certain there wasn't some weird issue with the ones on the car.
scotty b
Update ;

started to pull the stalk out and bumped the turn while unscrewing it.

.....signals start working huh.gif

pushed down on the assembly

.....signal stopped, relay started buzzing

pulled back on the assembly.

....signal started flashing, relay stopped buzzing.

I can hear small arcs under the assembly so obviously something is shorting out when it is tightened down. Going to pull it and see what is under there dry.gif

did I ever mention I F*CK#NG HATE WIRING ? mad.gif
scotty b
All done. the problem was in the wiper, / t.s. assembly. I'm guessing whoever put the aftermarket steering wheel on tightened it down enough to actually pinch everything together. The nut was way to tight when I went to remove it, and even after extraction, I could still lightly push on the faceplate and make it short out. Installed a assembly from another car and all is good smile.gif Just a half a day gone dry.gif

rick 918-S
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 30 2013, 12:02 PM) *

All done. the problem was in the wiper, / t.s. assembly. I'm guessing whoever put the aftermarket steering wheel on tightened it down enough to actually pinch everything together. The nut was way to tight when I went to remove it, and even after extraction, I could still lightly push on the faceplate and make it short out. Installed a assembly from another car and all is good smile.gif Just a half a day gone dry.gif

Wiring burns time! I hate it too! Glad you found the issue. Can you put a thin washer behind the steering wheel hub to give enough space to avoid a repeat issue?
r_towle
hopefully you charge at least $40.00 per hour and $40.00 for the part.

Rich
Mike Bellis
I love wiring... wub.gif

hide.gif
old dog
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 30 2013, 09:15 AM) *

Update ;

started to pull the stalk out and bumped the turn while unscrewing it.

.....signals start working huh.gif

pushed down on the assembly

.....signal stopped, relay started buzzing

pulled back on the assembly.

....signal started flashing, relay stopped buzzing.

I can hear small arcs under the assembly so obviously something is shorting out when it is tightened down. Going to pull it and see what is under there dry.gif

did I ever mention I F*CK#NG HATE WIRING ? mad.gif

I can feel the pain, I like wiring, but am scared to death of body work. Glad you found it, no wiring diagram would have helped with that one !
Dr Evil
Glad I could help smile.gif wink.gif
euro911
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Oct 30 2013, 08:11 PM) *
I love wiring... wub.gif

hide.gif
laugh.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 30 2013, 08:42 PM) *

Glad I could help smile.gif wink.gif

dry.gif
Dr Evil
Hey man, I called you from my day job and gave you some ideas. You work faster than I have time to help smile.gif I gave you less credit thumb3d.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 31 2013, 05:09 AM) *

Hey man, I called you from my day job and gave you some ideas. You work faster than I have time to help smile.gif I gave you less credit thumb3d.gif

dry.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 31 2013, 09:55 AM) *

dry.gif

So, this is how it is now that you have crossed the threshold, crested the peak, entered the line for the boatman?
grouphug.gif
VaccaRabite
Man. I step away from the forums for a few days and all hell breaks loose.

Zach
scotty b
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 31 2013, 07:02 AM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Oct 31 2013, 09:55 AM) *

dry.gif

So, this is how it is now that you have crossed the threshold, crested the peak, entered the line for the boatman?
grouphug.gif

huh.gif I uh...ummm...sure....... unsure.gif mellow.gif
Dr Evil
Now that you are.........old.
mikesmith
Late to this thread, but I just had the column assembly apart today...

There is a tiny blue plastic button doodad that fits into the rivet that the wiper lever pivots on. If it is missing, the rivet will short on (something) in the turn signal assembly.

Moral of the story - do not lose this stupid thing.
SUNAB914
I hate to ask if I know this car.
scotty b
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Nov 23 2013, 01:11 PM) *

I hate to ask if I know this car.

mellow.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 31 2013, 01:46 PM) *

"you're only as old as the woman you feel". Groucho Marx
scotty b
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 23 2013, 08:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 31 2013, 01:46 PM) *

"you're only as old as the woman you feel". Groucho Marx

This thread is almost a month old huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.