Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another one Painted
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
I spent a couple months searching for a talented painter before we tackled the final stages of this project.
I was getting discouraged with not finding someone who fit the need until a couple weeks ago this guy stopped by unexpectedly.
The person I hired is someone I've known for years but had no idea he was looking for work. Timing is everything.
His years of experience finishing hot rods and painting motor coaches is a blessing as we get up to speed on another facet of 914 restoration.

The Deep Black Diamont 2 stage paint is turning out nicely on this custom bodywork (Tangerine Signature Flares and 916 Hardtop).
One fruitfly got in the booth and buried himself in the rear decklid as soon as the clear was finished but otherwise its gone almost perfectly.

Panels in basecoat
Click to view attachment

Chassis getting the basecoat
Click to view attachment
FourBlades

Looks nice!

After painting one whole car and then redoing parts of it three years later I have a lot of respect for painters.

You can screw up the finished product in multiple ways at each step in the process.

John

rick 918-S
Can't wait to see it assembled! Nice! Glad to see you were able to find a guy.
Rleog
Congratulations, Chris, on getting that phase of Tangerine works settled. I have newfound respect for those who do body prep well, and especially for painters.
r_towle
good to know its moving forward.

Soon....
Matt Romanowski
Looks good. Another great resource out of Tangerine Racing!
ChrisFoley
Genaro and Dave are buffing the doors and deck lids while the chassis cures in the booth.
That little fly left behind a teeny tiny speck that looks like it won't come out without breaking thru to the color.
Its about 4 inches ahead of the back edge, right in the middle. blink.gif

Dave reduced the airflow through the exhaust fan and almost nothing settled on the chassis when the 4th coat of clear was finished.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
boogie_man
Black is never clean but man it's the best looking color on these IMO...

Great job !!! piratenanner.gif
edwin
Looks really neat. I love the clean lines of your flares
Any pics of the hardtop work?
Elliot Cannon
Now that's the way black is supposed to look. first.gif
914forme
Got to ask, is the 916 roof becoming an item FS at Tangerine racing like your flares?
mepstein
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 31 2013, 09:03 PM) *

Got to ask, is the 916 roof becoming an item FS at Tangerine racing like your flares?

agree.gif
jeff
I've seen those flares on Cambellcj's car in Red,they are beautiful !!!
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 31 2013, 08:03 PM) *

Right now its only available in-house but I have had more than one inquiry about a kit already.
JoeSharp
Nice Chris, I LOVE Black, For a none color I think it makes the most beautiful 914s.
tomeric914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 31 2013, 10:48 PM) *

Right now its only available in-house but I have had more than one inquiry about a kit already.

Add me to the inquiry list!
wndsnd
Scotty,

Time for a repaint on the autox car of yours........

John
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Nov 2 2013, 05:52 AM) *

me too
Johny Blackstain

also extemely interested in this... put me on the list as well please. chowtime.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Nov 2 2013, 06:19 PM) *

also extemely interested in this... put me on the list as well please. chowtime.gif

I plan to do a steel hardtop on my (future) subie conversion. Modeled after the 914-8
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(edwin @ Oct 31 2013, 05:23 PM) *

Any pics of the hardtop work?

Here are a cpuple pics showing the complexity of the gutter construction.

The lead-in at the front is cut into the top of the windshield frame.
Click to view attachment

The side rails are 2 piece construction to accomodate the side-window top seals and headliner, and provide a good a way to attach the roof skin.
Click to view attachment
914_8
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Nov 2 2013, 04:52 AM) *

Me too
ChrisFoley
A few pictues after a bit of buffing.
Any water spots or other flaws you might notice were on my camera lens, not on the body. blink.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
wndsnd
Looks nice Chris,

Looks like a big step forward from the first car.
Rleog
That has to be so satisfying to see this come together. Congratulations on successfully bringing professional specialty painting in house.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.