Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calling Bill P.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
I through out a little one liner earlier in the week.

I think a WELL built 914 beats the 911 ALMS cars.

Don't you think so, too?

Same power, better handling, lighter. I say yes.

KT
EdwardBlume
Within the context of spending $50K or less for a super car - I'd say yes.

There's a reason the lowly 914 still exists so widely in the race circles.... great platform.
Jeroen
IIRC the ALMS GT3's (RSR) make well over 420 bhp.
The cup-cars make about 390 bhp
I don't think Bill's 3.6 is making anywhere near that kind of power

The GT3's have a mandatory weight of 1100kg (2450 lbs), so a 300bhp 914 would have to weigh something like 1650 lbs to get about the same power to weight ratio

Also the ALMS/FIA and Cup cars are a very well sorted package...
EdwardBlume
Jeroen makes a good point...

Another consideration is the cost to performance metric. Build your dream 914 with 3.6 for $50k, compared to the cost of a cup car.
nine14cats
The 914 versus 911 thing is a tough call. I've driven both on the track (914 lots, my 930 once), and as Rob says, they are different platforms. IIRC, most of the guys here that have driven both say that it "feels" easier to drive a 911 at higher speeds than a 914. My opinion is that the 911 is a slightly more robust platform to start with (thicker gauge metal, etc.) and there are more developed racing parts for them.

But....914's are the outlaws...and I like that! Where else can you have a car that is 30 years old and can contend for a TTOD at a PCA auto-x, then go out on the track and be just as quick as 911's. There is something cool about that....

It takes alot of money to make either a 911 or 914 fast or a "contender" if you will. And the other part of the equation is driver ability. Currently, our new car would be pointed to an SCCA/PCA Club Racing equivalent to a GT2 car. Weight and brakes yes....engine size (3.6) yes, but power and driver ability....a big NO! IPB Image

Our 3.6 dyno'd a little over 300HP at JWE last week. Most GT2 cars have 100HP+ more than that. So again, by the time you put money into the motor to get it there, it's really the same as what you would put in a 911. So it comes down to what you prefer...911 or the outlaw 914.

I had a moment of weakness last week when I saw the 911 race tub...all the fixin's and boom....I'm running....but it wouldn't be the same. IPB Image

But you just look at the price tag of building a "GT" level car and it opens your eyes to all that you can pick from once you get into the "cubic dollars" approach. The $50K price tag is not far off of what we will have into our car....and I'll still get blown away by any SCCA guy or the PRC.

Example: Our car
----------------------

Tub, Chassis development (raised pickup points), paint = $15K
Motor Development (built for "unlimited" hours..yeah right) =$10K
WEVO 915 with flipped R&P, short ratio, all new internals = $10K
New seats, fire system, harnesses, f/g this and that, trick
this and that, heavy duty motor oil cooling system, heavy
duty trans oil cooling system, tires, wheels = ~$15K

Tag Line "GRIN FACTOR" = Priceless! IPB Image

Tough call on the platform....There must be a reason that 914's aren't
developed by someone for speed compared to the 911's, probably
because they were stopped being made by the factory in 1976.... IPB Image

I have to admit, the assorted 911 eye candy at JWE every time I go there
is sure intoxicating! I can't wait till my car is over there getting it's
powerplant plugged in...then I can drool over my own car!

Bill P.
EdwardBlume
We'll be drooling too!!!
anthony
Could a 914 even qualify for ALMS?
Jeroen
I'm still convinced that a 914 is a better platform than the 911 and given the same engine and overal prepwork, the 914 will be the better/faster car around the track. A 993 (and later 911s) may be a closer call because of the updated suspension
In the end, there will always be someone who can poor more money into it and he will (most likely) be the fastest around the course.

And I have to agree with Bill. It's cool to be the "underdog" IPB Image
Mueller
with enough money and effort, a Pinto can beat both IPB Image

Tough call on the platform....There must be a reason that 914's aren't
developed by someone for speed compared to the 911's, probably
because they were stopped being made by the factory in 1976....

that's the reason, the 914 is an old ass car...a lot of the 911 owners that have these megadollar fast 911s once had a 914...sooner or later one decides that they must move on and quit living in the past...besides, the 914 has already been proven that it can be built to compete with anything else on the track.....like I said in another post, Sheridans Ultimate 914 has proven it can run and beat the big dogs....and once he started to do that, his car was subject to more strict rules to try and keep the field "even"
Trekkor
Bill, I can hardly wait to see your new car on the course and track.

Should be a blast for you and Doris. IPB Image

If I had disposable income, it would be fun to sponsor the "ultimate" package in a 914 and put it out there for a really good driver to beat all.

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.