Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT drivel: Recommendations for plate joiner
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chunger
Hello,

More off topic drivel. . . can someone recommend me a good, economical plate joiner? I think I need to use biscuit joints for some upcoming shtuff.

Thus far, I've read about the the Dewalt and Porter Cable plate joiners.

-'Chung
TimT
Porter Cable is desirable if pricey, Dewalt is a Black and Decker subsidiary.

There are a fewe brands available it the tool aisle at Home Despot. you dont need the best of the best if you arent making a living at this... see whats on sale!! the biscuits are standard sized so any machine can cut he groove.

check ebay also... I got a paslode nail gun for a nice price there
TheCabinetmaker
I have a Skil brand. It was 60 bucks at Lowes about 4 years ago. I use it professionally on a weekly basis. No problems.
Bleyseng
Yep, get a cheap one as you will never wear it out. I got mine 10 years ago and still running the same blades.

Geoff IPB Image
trojanhorsepower
I got the Porter - Cable from Home Depot a few years ago and have been very happy with it. I agree with the others if you really are only going to use it on a few jobs (why not try to rent one?), but if you think you will keep it for a long time then I say get a well constructed model that feels good in your hand, and performs very well. Building anything can be aggravating enough with out having to fight your tools.

-Pete
dinomium
Porter-Cable and Delta were swallowed up into the Black and Decker borg... I hope they don't fall.
PC and Delta are great hobbie level tools.
larryp
Agree with Pete. None of them, for us, will ever wear out but the better ones typically vibrate less, are lighter and better balanced. So spend a little more and enjoy yourself!
I have a Porter Cable, have owned mucho Bosche equip too. I have learned that I dislike Ryobi, and have rebuilt my Makitas often enough that I now gravitate towards Milwaukee.
FWIW
scruz914
I too have one of these in my future. I would think that the less vibration the better (cleaner and accurate cut thickness) and would expect it from the higher quality manufacturers over the life of the tool. Even though a cheaper brand may have little or no vibration out of the box, lesser quality bearings could intorduce vibration over time.

-Jeff
rhodyguy
unless you are going into the finish carpentry business and will be using alot, you can probably rent one.

kevin
scotty914
if you really cheap they make cutters for routers, they do the same thing you just plunge till a stop block hits
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.