Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help me! Looking for Bernie Willis!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cap'n Krusty
Hate to have to do this, but I bought a car from Bernie Willis and his wife, and a couple of years later the promised DMV paperwork still hasn't been sent to me. At this point, they seem to be avoiding me. Resorting to help from fellow teener pilots and airing dirty laundry is the LAST thing I wanted to do! I last saw them at Parts Heaven during the WCC, and he AGAIN effusively apologized and promised it would be sent right away. I can't fix, sell or dispose of it without going through substantial expense and effort, something a coupla signatures and a stamp would avoid. TIA, The Cap'n, pis*ed this morning .....................................................
SirAndy
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 22 2004, 09:04 AM)
I last saw them at Parts Heaven during the WCC

i haven't seen him either since.
he used to show up to our breakfasts/funruns, but no more.

sorry, can't help 'ya, don't have an address or phone#.
IPB Image Andy
Mueller
John,

I'll PM you his phone number right now, hope it's still good.
JeffBowlsby
John,

Bernie and his wife were at the WCC04 in their green 75 car in June this year...is that the one you bought?

Please give Bernie the benefit of the doubt, he always seemed like an honest guy to me. There were threads he posted on this forum about some smog problems he was having with that car, don't know if'n they were ever resolved.

I may have an address/phone number for him if you need it, contact me offline if Muellers info is not sufficient.

He also had some body work done at Scott Yeamans place on the green car about a year ago, if thats another contact for him.
Cap'n Krusty
I sold them a BMW 325is to replace their 318 that needed a motor. From all they've said, they love the 325. I took the 318 in trade, with a promise of prompt delivery of the paperwork so that I could dispose of the car. I've given them the benefit of the doubt for about 2 years, a dozen phone calls, several e-mails, and personal contact. I'm tired, I can't get rid of the car (which is being stored on property for which rent is paid), and I'm no longer interested in protecting their reputation ............................ How much effort does it really take to stop by the DMV or AAA, pick up the cert of lost title, sign it, and mail it to me? The Cap'n
cooltimes
I can't help with the Bernie questions but how bout a short 914club lesson on what is all involved when you didn't get what you were told from Bernie in order to use, fix or sell the car he sold you.
Why can't you sell it in CA? Another state? Seriously. This is a lesson all buyers may find value in.
shoguneagle
You may want to check with the California DMV on the following but I did it to get a title to a 1974 Alfa Romeo GTV. I believe the value is $2,000 or less and the new title can be obtained by doing the following; anything above that amount needs a bond etc.:

I bought the GTV from a seller who did not have perfected title to it, and the problem gets worse. The car had been sold to him without a perfected title another and the prior owners to him (that is the 3rd back owner from me) still had the car registered in their name. Letters to everyone and all parties demonstrated they did not know what they were dealing with when handling car sales and transfer of titles.

I got an application/request for a lost title and had the person I was buying it from signoff; I circumvented the 3rd owner back since there was not any evidence of him actually owning the car; I sent letters to the registered owners and these letters were returned to me "Unable to Locate, not at this address". The next thing I did was send another letter registered, return receipt requested to the name and the last known address of the registered owners. These letters were presented to the address by the post office several times and eventually returned to me unopened. I waited thirty days from the date of the registered letters and then went to DMV with the Request for lost title along with the returned letters unopened, and my insurance policy. Paid the DMV fees and got my license plates.

Sounds long winded but is straight forward; just takes time and waiting game. Remember my value was $2,000 so they could the transfer right then and there.

Hope it helps and good luck.

Steve Hurt
Cap'n Krusty
To answer 2 questions at once, in CA a dismantler can't accept a car or an identifiable chassis without a title. To get one, I have to run a lien sale, which will cost me 50 bucks or so. That's on top of the waiting period of a month, and the rent on the storage space for around 2 years. Ya do somebody a BIG favor, and they ....................... The Cap'n
Mueller
not that I condone such behavior, but if the car is not in your name...the car could always "find" it's way to a parking lot that'll have a service to tow it away...last person the car is registered to gets a letter, then it's off the the crushers
(sold a car and the new owners stripped it and left if on the street, I got a letter stating to pick up "my" car or it'll be subject to a lien sale and disposed, needless to say, I let them have it....never heard from anyone every again on that particular vehicle)

no one is out any additional money and who knows, the wrecking yard might want to keep the car IPB Image
Joe Bob
Take the parts that are serviceable off.....add to the parts that you sell and store in your shop....

sawzall the rest, send to dump in pieces....Couin Guido and I....ummmmm, I've done that with 914 fer years....

BTW...howz the vented rotors for Fankenstealth coming???
Lou W
Did someone say; SAWZALL PARTY! IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.