Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NEWS FLASH North Texas Shut down
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spare time toys
OMG there is white stuff coming down. Close the Malls get off the roads take needed precautions. We can make it through this IPB Image
skline
I just got off the phone with my dad, he is up near Amarillo and he didnt say anything about any snow. Maybe it is just not there yet.
Root_Werks
Snow in Texas! What WILL they think of next? IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Dec 22 2004, 10:01 AM)
We can make it through this

you call THAT snow?

IPB Image Andy
jet1
I lived in Mobile, AL for 14 years and saw snow 3 times during that time. The locals would freak out. Everything would close down, even if the the snow was less then an inch. People would go out in the streets with cameras and it would be the talk of the town for weeks.
Quebecer
That's not a Blizzard, it wouldn't even record on our charts as far as snow accumulation is concerned.

Mind you I'm in Eastern Canada, just outside of Montreal.

But having been in the DFW area very often in the past few years (on business), I understand that it must be quite a shock for you guys.

Stay inside and stay warm, as I'm sure you guys don't have winter tires on.

Happy Holidays! IPB Image
David_S
QUOTE (skline @ Dec 22 2004, 12:05 PM)
I just got off the phone with my dad, he is up near Amarillo and he didnt say anything about any snow. Maybe it is just not there yet.

skline ...where at near Amarillo???? I am about 60 miles southwest of Amarillo, and we have about 3 inches of it on the ground!
ClayPerrine
We don't get snow often, but when we do... we get a show....

"REDNECKS ON ICE!'

See Bubba in his 4x4 Chevy as he drives down the icy freeway at 70 MPH!

Listen to Bubba as he is interviewed by the news agencies after he causes a 20 car pileup... "I thought 4 wheel drive would make me able to drive like I always do when it's snowin.." IPB Image
DNHunt
That looks like Washington snow when we get it. We have the same problems except it's soccer moms and SUVS goin down hills. They think 4 wheel drive will help them stop. They run into all the kids in Mustangs tryin to go up the same hills.

It makes great news footage. Car bowling! IPB Image

Dave
ottox914
Thats not snow, heck, it hardly qualifies as a dusting. Up here way up north it was -20 this am when I got up... NOT 914 weather, for sure.
balljoint
Call in the National Guard. Pass out the shovels. We gotta dig Granny out before she catches a chill. IPB Image
ClayPerrine
Just try to FIND a snow shovel in a store here. They don't exist.......

Just hit the freezing mark here. But it's only supposed to stay a day or three. Back to highs of 60 degrees this time next week.
mack914
That's a dusting here in Ohio. We're suppose to get 10 inches tonight into tomorrow. Now that's snow. rocking nana.gif IPB Image
aircooledboy
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Dec 22 2004, 12:50 PM)
We don't get snow often, but when we do... we get a show....

"REDNECKS ON ICE!'

See Bubba in his 4x4 Chevy as he drives down the icy freeway at 70 MPH!

Listen to Bubba as he is interviewed by the news agencies after he causes a 20 car pileup... "I thought 4 wheel drive would make me able to drive like I always do when it's snowin.." IPB Image

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

IPB Image
Eddie Williams
Look at this crap. I live down on the coast! Keep that white shit up in Dallas. Brr... too cold for the beach!!! I like to wear shorts on Christmas!
SLITS
You didn't take steps to protect your barbecue..........shame....shame.....That's gotta be against some Tejas law.
GWN7
Never buy "winter" formula windshield washer fluid in Texas and then drive North. You can use your washers again about May....
SLITS
QUOTE (GWN7 @ Dec 22 2004, 01:05 PM)
Never buy "winter" formula windshield washer fluid in Texas and then drive North. You can use your washers again about May....

See, they actually found a use for "Lone Star & Pearl Beer".
spare time toys
Down to 31 and they are stocking up at Krogers IPB Image I used to live in Wausau Ws. so I know what winter is. My wife is from here and she is shut in she knows how these folks drive here. Any way here is a Texas frozen Banana rocking nana.gif
skline
QUOTE (David_S @ Dec 22 2004, 10:49 AM)
QUOTE (skline @ Dec 22 2004, 12:05 PM)

skline ...where at near Amarillo???? I am about 60 miles southwest of Amarillo, and we have about 3 inches of it on the ground!

Dad is about 60 miles north of Amarillo in a little town called Boerger. He likes it there. I couldnt live there. Everything is closed down, not much of a town anymore. He has to go into Amarillo for just about everything.
tat2dphreak
we call it snow here, but realize anywhere else it's a joke....

it's wild since we got 1 day back in FEB, and 1 day in Dec now... that doubles our average total of snow days... it's like "day after tommmorrow" for us IPB Image
ottox914
2 good snow stories.

As a youth we had a drift in the driveway about 12' tall. I dug snow caves in it. Climbed to the top of it. Fell thru the crust, stuck my arms out so I looked like a "t", and was stuck there till mom came out to save me.

More recently, we had 6+ inches of wet, sloppy, slippy snow. I took my nephews (6 and 3 yrs) to a large open parking lot, and after about 1/2 hour going sideways in an Audi A4 Quattro wagon, the older one, Ben, decided he was bored with "car sledding" and we went home.

My advice: find your own lot and enjoy lack of traction while you can.

David
jimtab
All that silly driving is what happens when people either don't take or don't pass a physics class at some time in their lives....traction coefficient....GRAVITY....etc. IPB Image
scotty914
QUOTE (ottox914 @ Dec 22 2004, 01:37 PM)
More recently, we had 6+ inches of wet, sloppy, slippy snow. I took my nephews (6 and 3 yrs) to a large open parking lot, and after about 1/2 hour going sideways in an Audi A4 Quattro wagon, the older one, Ben, decided he was bored with "car sledding" and we went home.

David

next time tie a rope to the car and put the kids on an inner tube and whip them around
Red-Beard
Houston... IPB Image
rick 918-S
It's extremely cold here! We need more snow or we'll have frost in the ground until July!
Rider914
Jupiter Fl. ----

Thursday
Partly sunny. A slight chance of showers. Highs near 80. South winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent.

Burr.... might have to wear long pants?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.