Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Review of 914rubber.com carpet kits
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tedman5
Hello folks, I want to offer my review of the carpet kit and underpadding I purchased from 914rubber.com aka Mikey914.

First of all, the quality is not to be expected of original German carpet, but for an aftermarket alternative its pretty good by my standards. I don't have a concourse car (and never plan to) so the originality is not a huge deal.

The carpet is deep black and the edges are seamed with a vinyl binding. The binding is a little rough looking but how often do you really see the edge? Passable for my needs as a drivers car.

The kit had 8 perfect fit cut pieces, two of which I chose not to use for under the seat. Very easy to install with some adhesive glue and has remained in place, showing no wear after a summer of driving 2000+ miles and several AutoX events. There is a heel pad on the drivers side and has a nice vintage look to it.

Now the thing that got me excited was Mike offered me a trial product of a thin 4-5mm rubber padding for the underlayment for the floor mat pieces and firewall. The idea being a little more cushioned feel and a little sound deadening. The padding was one sided self adhesive and mounted to the carpet easily and does not slide around. It does have a good feel to it and I think it makes a difference with road noise.

I recommend this to anyone looking for a replacement carpet kit without BIG$$.
Mblizzard
My carpet from Mark is doing very well also!
GregAmy
I wish they offered it in tan/brown. I've got brown vinyl seats and my carpets are completely missing...looking for a value-priced alternative to my non-concours car...

Edit: Wait a sec, they offer the "plush" in tan...what's the difference between "plush" and "loop"...?
Mblizzard
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Nov 2 2013, 11:30 AM) *

I wish they offered it in tan/brown. I've got brown vinyl seats and my carpets are completely missing...looking for a value-priced alternative to my non-concours car...

Edit: Wait a sec, they offer the "plush" in tan...what's the difference between "plush" and "loop"...?

I know there is a carpet set for sale that is sort of oatmeal in the classifieds.

Ask Mark for a sample. That is what I did. I think plush is a denser weave where loop is more open. I think I went loop.
wndsnd
Click to view attachment

I did my oatmeal set from Mikey

Also did the closed cell foam backing.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
GregAmy
Interesting, I'll send him a note.

Somewhat-related aside: any quick instructions on how to install the pedal board? Mine's removed by the PO (along with the carpet, I'm guessing to replace the floorboards) and it's not immediately obvious how to re-install... - GA
Mblizzard
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Nov 3 2013, 08:30 AM) *

Somewhat-related aside: any quick instructions on how to install the pedal board? Mine's removed by the PO (along with the carpet, I'm guessing to replace the floorboards) and it's not immediately obvious how to re-install... - GA

It is just a thread the pedals through the holes operation. Takes a bit of trial and error to find the right angle to get both the clutch and brake through. Remove the rubber covering on both pedals before trying.
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Nov 3 2013, 12:56 PM) *

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Nov 3 2013, 08:30 AM) *

It is just a thread the pedals through the holes operation. Takes a bit of trial and error to find the right angle to get both the clutch and brake through. Remove the rubber covering on both pedals before trying.

And removing center console makes it much easier.
Shindog1961
Looks really good! What was the cost?
Harpo
Does mikey include the vinyl pieces around the seat area?

Thanks

David
wndsnd
QUOTE(Harpo @ Nov 3 2013, 03:28 PM) *

Thanks

David

He sells them but they are not included with the carpet kit.

John
Mikey914

I am bringing the Brown online soon, however the mounting grommets will be black. I'm currently finding a match for Brown.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Harpo @ Nov 3 2013, 12:28 PM) *

Thanks

David

They are included in the vinyl kit.
Mikey914

Plush is like very course "hair". They are strands. The loop is just that. Looped through the base. The German is a shorter denser loop. It's closest to OEM.
Mikey914
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Nov 2 2013, 03:14 PM) *

I did my oatmeal set from Mikey

Also did the closed cell foam backing.

Yours is actually the German "Bamboo" I'm adding it to the site this next week.
wndsnd
Looks great installed and it complements the nice "RS" door panels you provided as well. The fibergall backers were a perfect fit and the mounting hardware included made the install a breeze.

Finished off with your center console and new guages the interior looks very sharp.

I will post a couple of complete shots when I return this week.john
turk22
I guess I'll show off my 914Rubber carpet install as well, very happy with the quality fit and finish. I used Marks Vinyl kit as well.

wub.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
drem914
How do you remove the handbrake to install the long runner carpet? I don't want to mess up anything with the e-brake.
drem914
How do you remove the handbrake to install the long runner carpet? I don't want to mess up anything with the e-brake.
Also, do you use adhesive to hold down the center tunnel portion of the carpet?
avocadotom
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Nov 3 2013, 05:45 PM) *

Thanks

David

John

Did you glue the vinyl down?
drem914
QUOTE(avocadotom @ Jul 4 2020, 03:59 PM) *

QUOTE(wndsnd @ Nov 3 2013, 05:45 PM) *

Thanks

David

John

Did you glue the vinyl down?

Yes, they will not stay if you just lay then down. They clean up any exposed metal behind the carpet kit. Works really well. Good pattern cut.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.