Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas Smell
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Maine914
I finally got this project on the road. Rebuilt the carbs. Put in a new thermostat. Replaced the master cylinder and a fuel line. Still needs springs and serious interior work but I couldn't help myself and have taken it for a few spins. When I turn corners fast [which is fun in these cars] there is the distinct smell of gas. It still has the hoses, chamber and filter up front for the FI. Any ideas what's causing it and what I can do about it? I haven't taken the gas tank out . . . yet.
Thanks
Bruce Allert
My problem was the gasket in the tank cap. I had another gas cap and once I put that on no more gas smell. There are a few posts of related coincidence with many different "happenings" within the histories here. Did you try a search? It would give you a pretty grand spectrum of what to look for. I just happened to find a gas leak this morning. Was on a fuel line to my #1 injector... easy fix biggrin.gif
bruce
Qarl
I assume that you installed the correct low pressure fuel pump for the carbs and you are not running off the high pressure pump. So we can negate this issue,

What about the fuel lines? The FI has two lines. I feed line and a return line. I assume you plugged off the return line since it's not needed for the carb setup.

The next issue would be to investigate the fuel lines themselves at the bottom of the tank to the fuel lines through the tunnel. They may be cracked or rotted, but you would probably smell gas ALL the time.

I thought I remember a thread somehere here or on Pelican about maybe a leak in the tank itself (in the seams).

When you have gas at the right level and take a corner, the gas sloshes to the outside corner of the turn and may breach the leak in the seams.

One way to "fix" this is to remove the tank and reseal it with the POR-15 tank sealing kit.

Let us know what you discover.

Regards,

Karl
seanery
My sportster had the same problem and Bruce's fix was all it needed.
EdwardBlume
I had the "all the time" problem and it turned out that it was the tank filler gasket in addition to removing many of the heater parts and disconnecting the expansion tank. Since I monkeyed with the 914 heater parts and openings, I created a nice vacuum to the interior whenever I had the window open.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.