Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SS Heat Exchangers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
azbill
I am looking for a set of Ht EX for my '73 2.0
Anyone know who has them or the phone number for SSI? Just called Trautman and they are out of stock.Thanks for the help.
AZbill
This should probably be over in the Wanted/For Sale section, but I have a set i want to get rid of. Used, pretty clean, and only 150 for the pair off my 73 2.0.
seanery
GPR had the best price last time I checked.
Expect about $400 or so for a new set.
I got my used set for half.
jd74914
SSI's are nice.

I got my used set for $180 IPB Image
greg.treadway
Just FYI, new sets are going up in price 20% after the first of the year.
MartyYeoman
I am thinking of replacing the HEs on my '75 1.8 (actually 1.9) with SS type.
Custom muffler additional.
Any recomedations (tube diameter, style, etc)?
azbill
I just checked AA price - $564.41 for the left side and $480.70 for the right side. I know parts cost money but these prices are from somewhere off this planet. Dr. 914 is pricing himself out. Good help us if corrners the market.
Jake Raby
Damn... Look who is here...

Mr. Treadway!

This should be VERY interesting!
greg.treadway
I don't know how you got those prices (I'd like to know). Very weird. My price is $355 each side no matter 1.7 or 1.8 or 2.0... If there is an interest we would beging making these with SSI blessing. I don't know that the market is there. The new price after Jan 1 is $550 each side as the cost of steel has gone up. I just spoke with John at SSI - this is information is 10 minutes old. (I'm not trying to sell anything here, I'm just giving information based on the last post).
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Dec 22 2004, 01:55 PM)
Damn... Look who is here...

Mr. Treadway!

This should be VERY interesting!

You mean you missed his entrance to the club, that was interesting.
Root_Werks
Greg is right, SSI is raising prices after next week. But even at 20%, that would make the current deal you could get from GPR at $400 go to $480 for a set. AA will be more than double that. So best to shop around before buying. Also, I know a couple of guys who did some bulk buys from SSI before. They saved a ton of $$$, so that is always an option provided things don't change for SSI much after the new new. Hey, a group buy! IPB Image
newdeal2
I put a nice used set from eBay on my 2.0. They are 1.8's and will work but you need hanger and exaust to match.
Jake Raby
The PM he sent me was even more interesting... and my reply was pretty bold! Not many ways you could misunderstand that one!
Ray Warren
I talked to the guy at Triadwest the other day about a
muffler and I'm pretty sure he said that he had some.
seanery
The thing about the prices going up is BS!!!

The 2.0 SSI's have been out of production for a long time. John has a stockpile at the SSI facility.
Raising the price is kinda shitty - IF - you blame it on the climbing cost of steel. Raising it
because you have a lot of inventory that is just sitting is a different reason.

Still, call GPR, they have the best pricing on SSI's.
anthony
I thought SSIs were NLA now? I thought I heard Brad say that one time. Maybe they decided to do another run, hence the price increase?
azbill
I called GPR - they do not have any in stock said SSI Ht Ex are not available. I'm looking at a used set - hope they workout.
SirAndy
QUOTE (anthony @ Dec 22 2004, 05:18 PM)
I thought SSIs were NLA now? I thought I heard Brad say that one time. Maybe they decided to do another run, hence the price increase?

no. john (owner of SSI) has about 100 sets of the 2.0L exchangers left.
they're sitting in the last bay on the right of the first building.
he has not done a production run of those in over 10+ years.
and i know he won't be doing another run any time soon.

the only reason i can see why those would go up 20% in price is that someone wants to make more money.
either john or the resellers.
either way, that has nothing to do with material prices.

i'd say try to get a used set before you fork out large sums of cash for a overpriced new set ...

heck, i won a set at the reno wramble and i gave it away for free!
IPB Image Andy
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE (greg.treadway @ Dec 22 2004, 12:54 PM)
Just FYI, new sets are going up in price 20% after the first of the year.

Fuckin' great. My 2.0L needs SS as well IPB Image
jim_hoyland
Do the 1.8L engines require a special SS heat exchanger because of the manifolds ? Can a 2.0 be adapted ?
Brad Roberts
2.0 heat exchangers bolt right onto 74/5/6 1.8 heads with no mods. The 1.8 engines used the same size tube diameter as the 2.0... so you wont gain anything.

SSI has NO 1.7/1.8 HE's and I seriously DOUBT he did another production run for 2.0 considering the fact that he was only selling 1-2 sets a month compared to 30-40 sets of the 911 SSI's.

HPH has 3-4 sets of 2.0 SSI heat exchangers in stock. Pricing is probably 225$ apiece plus shipping.

B
ablose58
Brad you got a pm. AL
ninepfourteen
Guys,

I have two sets. Both off 2.0's. $350.00 (plus shipping from 21502) buys either set. PM@ fpfeiffer@gcnetmail.net with interest. Thanks.
well just had a chance to get online again... looks like my 150 for two is a steal IPB Image
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE (1973914 @ Dec 23 2004, 07:56 AM)
well just had a chance to get online again... looks like my 150 for two is a steal IPB Image

you have a pm
AZBill has first dibs. If he doesnt want them then will entertain offers after that. Thanks for the inerest! I do have other items and will place those on the classifieds now.
Bill grabbed them. Good luck to everyone in finding a reasonable alternative. To my mind over 1k for heat exchangers is highway robbery, but then again the last year they made this car was 1976, and they were only made for 6 years. With a pretty limited manufacturing range from so long ago (30 years!), its pretty amazing anybody makes new parts for our cars...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.