Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: weber IDF 44's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lbreen
I have recently rebuilt the carbs on my 74 2.0.This is one of the easier rebuilds I have done.It could be easily possible that it didn't do it right. Seemed straight forward. Clened it air dryed it with compressor, and replaced the parts. I don't what the small linkage does or where it connects to. I guess it could be a form of a choke, since there is no other choke. The other end of the small linkage connects to a sort of an internal vent. I guess this would change the air fuel ratio. Could this hook to a linkage and be some sort of vent or choke? The 44's came with the car when I bought it. Thanks lbreen.
microsa
The IDFs did not have a 'choke' as such, they had an enrichment circuit. Because they had to be cable operated, most of the time on anything but front engine cars, they were not connected. Do you have a pic of the part you are describing?
Reiche
microsa is right. It's not really a choke. It's more like an EFI auxiliary air regulator. We talked about this here a few weeks ago. I actually hooked them up on a friend's 914 and they worked great for cold starts.
lapuwali
If this linkage you mention is on the side of the carb body, same side as the venturi fixing screws, then it's the enrichment circuit, as noted. Adds fuel for cold starts. Can be left unhooked. Many Webers have this blanked off.

If it's the linkage under the carb, running between the throats, then it's the accelerator pump linkage.
SLITS
Images for the Asshole........... IPB Image

Accel Pump...........
IPB Image

"Choke"
IPB Image
lapuwali
The Asshole obviously needs new glasses...

btw, that's the "new" accelerator pump linkage, which is adjustable. The "old" pump linkage has a roller and cam, and isn't adjustable w/o a grinder...
SLITS
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Dec 22 2004, 03:44 PM)
The Asshole obviously needs new glasses...

btw, that's the "new" accelerator pump linkage, which is adjustable. The "old" pump linkage has a roller and cam, and isn't adjustable w/o a grinder...

Naw, the second pic I shook the camera.....just being old...

Sorry, didn't have a "cam" style in reach.

Happy Holidays from the #3 Asshole.
microsa
Hey Slits,
If you are #3, who's #'s 1 & 2?
SLITS
QUOTE (microsa @ Dec 22 2004, 04:02 PM)
Hey Slits,
If you are #3, who's #'s 1 & 2?

Howard is #1 - he's 3 years older than me...............I can't remember who #2 is..........
lbreen
Thank you all for your replies.It is the enrichment set up on the side.I will have to experiment to see just how to use this . I will have to figure out what setting will alow more gas, simulating a choke.I think when it is at rest, it should be a normal condition. I'm not really sure how it works. All I know for sure , you guys are right , these 44's sure are cold blooded when starting. I had this all apart,but it has been a few months ago. I had to remove some gunk and some red gasket stuff to get it to even move. Thanks LB
SLITS
I have seen them frozen from water ingestion, but they function much like a choke functions in adding more raw fuel. Activation is by a pull cable much like the old cars I am used to.

It is spring loaded when working and returns to "normal" position when the lever is released.
bernbomb914
why is howard #1 I am senor to both of you in age and membership? IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image
SLITS
QUOTE (bernbomb914 @ Dec 22 2004, 05:40 PM)
why is howard #1 I am senor to both of you in age and membership? IPB Image  :bootyshake:  :angry:

You weren't at the table at the WCC04 when we designated "Assholes". So by proxy a few months later, we designate you ASSHOLE #1.

List now is

Bernie #1
Howard #2
Ron #3

Any others wanna join in? IPB Image

Oh, I should clarify that the original designation was Howard was an AssHole and I was a -3.
bernbomb914
Thanks I am flattered, but you forgot the greatest asshole of them all." Brad "
SLITS
QUOTE (bernbomb914 @ Dec 22 2004, 05:50 PM)
Thanks I am flattered, but you forgot the greatest asshole of them all." Brad "

Yea, he got an honorable mention....but not a true asshole....his head is just up his ass. IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.