Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: well got my xmas bonus.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nickg
"as a result of the near depression in the automotive business in the northeast, we regret to inform you that you are being laid off"..... perfect timing, i had eye surgery last week and i am nearly blind and can't even see to drive to a prospective interveiw....why do people wiat till xmas to do this crap?
SirAndy
QUOTE (nickg @ Dec 22 2004, 06:03 PM)
why do people wiat till xmas to do this crap?

dude, that sucks! IPB Image

i had to downsize my company twice in the last 5 years.
i hate it. i'm much happier when i can hire people ...
IPB Image Andy
EdwardBlume
They do it prior to Fiscal Year End so when they miss numbers they can announce a restructuring to make it seem like they are doing something proactive about it. I hope you get a nice package and some good leads on work.
Jeroen
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Dec 23 2004, 04:07 AM)
dude, that sucks! IPB Image

IPB Image
hang in there!
nickg
QUOTE (Rob Ways @ Dec 22 2004, 06:18 PM)
They do it prior to Fiscal Year End so when they miss numbers they can announce a restructuring to make it seem like they are doing something proactive about it. I hope you get a nice package and some good leads on work.

package? they don't do that in the automotive world...they just say good luck. i have some good personal relations with people at BMW anfd Mercedes hq's, been looking to go there anyway for a long time...so at least i will get ui i guess.
mharrison
Nick,
Sorry to hear about your bad break. Hopefully it will work out for the best.

Try to have a Merry Christmas before you get too worried about it.

-Matt
nickg
one of the biggest problems i have is that I did not get a bachelor's degree...i have an associates(tecnical college, automotive technology, lincoln tech) and these place want the 4 year degre. so with 18 years of parts, repair,customer relations,sales, marketing and dealer services, i don't have a chance against anyone with a 4 year degree and a haertbeat. it's very frustrating to have all the experience and know that you aren't competeive with guys with no experience and a degree. I am gonna see if i can get a grant to go to school to get the bachelors(if anyone will take my credits from 10 years ago) real shame because most guys at these places are older and they are not getting the experienced people as replacements so the knowledge in parts and technical services are being lost...computers can't answer all questions...anyway, i will just keep trying
Mrs. K
Hey Nick,
I feel your frustration about not having the degree but having
tons of experience. I would just do your best to push your way into those interviews, with as many personal referals that you can muster up, and "sell yourself"! You are the one with experience, and my guess is these guys with the BS degree have forgotten most of what they learned in school anyway!
Not that I don't think it is a good idea to have a degree, I think it is great. But for you right now, I really think you could sell yourself with your expertise!

Hang in there man!

Lisa IPB Image
scruz914
QUOTE (Mrs. K @ Dec 22 2004, 07:46 PM)
Hey Nick,
I feel your frustration about not having the degree but having
tons of experience. I would just do your best to push your way into those interviews, with as many personal referals that you can muster up, and "sell yourself"! You are the one with experience, and my guess is these guys with the BS degree have forgotten most of what they learned in school anyway!
Not that I don't think it is a good idea to have a degree, I think it is great. But for you right now, I really think you could sell yourself with your expertise!

Hang in there man!

Lisa IPB Image

IPB Image

A degree gets a foot in the door. You need to use your experience and contacts to do the same.

It really sucks when a company does this to people. But on the other side, not one person I know who has been laid off hasn't found a better job. As hard as it may be, look at it as an opportunity. And, enjoy the Holidays. Nobody will be hiring until after the new year.

Good Luck!
Jeff
nickg
well that is how i am gonna take it, not as a bad thing, but as an oppurtunity. i have a very well laid out career path map that has been with me (and stuck to)since i was 16. i have advanced up every time i have been laid off before, so I am positive about it...just sucks about timing
ablose58
Man that sucks IPB Image I feel for ya but on the other hand my experience got me the job I have now and when they hired me they said they would rather hire somebody w/lots of experience instead of some book smart sheepskin toting no experience person so take heart you will prevail!!! IPB Image
Unclerichy
not one person I know who has been laid off hasn't found a better job.
I've been laid off 3 times and each time I found a better job. Try not to get too down - it won't change things.
ottox914
Hang in there. Blessing in disguise. I was "downsized" a year ago. In a town of 7800 there wasn't much call for a person w/my backround. Using contacts from within the industry I was employed in, less than 6 mo later was employed again, at the same sallary, better benefits, and 15% fully funded co. 401 plan in addition to pension benefits. Sounds like you have been thru this before and also have a plan for yourself. Move on. Oh, and I was bumped off the last day of june. My parents were coming by for a 2 wk visit, staying at our house. My brother in law and family were staying over for the long weekend of 4th of july. My wife sees me unloading boxes from my car and asks if the co. is now having me work out of the home rather than an office. I tell her she's only 1/2 right. With all that was going on, she shattered sooner than I did... Try to be positive. Don't let the degree thing spook you. When the new years hangover has subsided, get busy, get serious, and "git-r-done"
914helo
I'm really sorry to hear that. The timing does suck. IPB Image At least you have a good attitude. Regarding the degree, you could also sign up for one night class starting in January and use that in your interviews to show your progress towards a bachelor's. Maybe that can help you in the door and your experience and knowledge get you your job. Good luck!
ThinAir
I'm glad you are so positive about it, but it still really sucks. Two years ago I was in the same situation - got laid off on Oct 30th. It was the first time for me that I didn't have something lined up already by the time the money ended so it was pretty tough mentally. Then Dec 24th my son Mike walks into the independent Porsche shop where he worked and they meet him at the door with "it's not working out, we need to let you go, give us your keys". It was pretty brutal.

Fortunately I learned through the County about a federal program that provided funds to help folks get training to help them get new jobs (Workforce Development Act). I was in computers, but didn't have any certifications. I ended up getting funded to go to classes for my MCSE and landed a job that I love before I managed to finish the training. Mike got a job with a Dodge dealership in March. I'm not making as much money, but I'm much happier and that is worth a lot.

Enjoy the holidays and keep your chin up. It sounds like you've got what it takes to make it go.
rick 918-S
I almost joined you today. I had a serious word match with my supervisor at 9:00 am. I was shocked at his tone. I was professional for about three exchanges of the facts. I was right and he was completely wrong. Then the shit hit the fan. After almost 5 years you'd think he'd learn. If he starts shit with me I'm going to finish it! It's a good thing he's 180 miles away.

I went through the school of hard knocks. I have a degree in BS. Nobody ever handed me anything. Get in my way and I'll use your skull for my next step up. I believe you make your own opportunies. I have a job in an industry that doesn't even accept applications without a BA in something.

With your expertise and additude you'll be back on top in no time. Chin up pal! Your the BEST! Everyday is a new opportunity.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.