Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My name is MattR
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MattR
Okay, so A-Aron is over here trying to help me fix my taildragger. We got the system bled, but theres not much brake pressure (none on the first pump and the second pump has minor pressure) (master cylinder IPB Image). There are no leaks from the bleeder valves (that we can tell), and its full of fluid in the resivoir. We bled at each corner 3 times (at least) with no bubbles left and only clear fluid remaining.

AND we just discovered my front right is stuck now too. It wasnt stuck before (before I tried to fix my brakes), but now it has pressure. WTF is wrong? Any takers?

Would one bad caliper cause this? There doesnt appear to be any leaking, but maybe its seized? Or is this a master cylinder issue? Please help. I'll buy the first person that helps me a man size portion of wine and cheese (its a 912) IPB Image.
Mrs. K
IPB Image Mmmmm? Wasn't Aaron helping Scott with his brakes too?
Just a thought!

Lisa IPB Image
MattR
Aaron is the brake master.
MXMARK
I have a power bleeder that you and Aaron can borrow if you need. Sometimes the brake lines swell or break inside the line and make it so the fluid does not go to the caliper or makes it so it will lock up one of the calipers. Check the lines. If you use the power bleeder you can check the flow through the lines. Let me know. Thanks Mark
What year 912, vented front discs?
MattR
Cool, thanks for the offer!

The brakes lines passed the visual test. They looked pretty new, and there wasnt any visable leakage or cracking.

And its an early 912 with solid rotors and M calipers.
MXMARK
Which side? I might have a early caliper. Mark

That Brake Master knows where I live and work so if he is going over to your house again he could meet me before he leaves.
MattR
Front right. Im not sure its seized yet, though. I'll have to check.

Is your caliper a rebuilt unit? Or just a core?
jr91472
I am no expert, but I chased a phantom brake issue for awhile too.

Every know and then, I would loose pressure the the pedal would go to the floor. No leaks, nothing.

after replacing a ton a stuff, the only definetive thing I found wrong was a single piston stuck on one caliper. not exactly sure if this was my root cause, but problem is gone.

my .02, good luck
MXMARK
I have one that worked from my 914 before I changed the front end to the 911S with carrera arms and anti-roll bar. I don't know if this would work. Mark
MXMARK
Another, Mark. The rebuild kits a pretty cheap.
mattillac
will the pedal bleed to the floor after you build up whatever pressure you can? why were you bleeding the brakes in the first place?
Brad Roberts
Fix the frozen caliper. It is causing your issues. Did you push the pistons back and install new pads at one point ? If you did... this can cause the pistons to hang up if it has been hanging out of the caliper on worn out pads for any time.

B
MattR
Okay, it sounds like its a caliper issue. I did replace the brake pads up front because they were worn.

I'll give Kragen a call tomorrow morning to see if they can order some rebuilt units? Or is there a better source?
SLITS
QUOTE (MattR @ Dec 23 2004, 12:23 AM)
Okay, it sounds like its a caliper issue. I did replace the brake pads up front because they were worn.

I'll give Kragen a call tomorrow morning to see if they can order some rebuilt units? Or is there a better source?

Most of the calipers in the chain stores are rebuilt by A-1 Cardone (Filthydelphia) or ARI (Fullerton). Makes no real difference. They are production rebuilders.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.