Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Plastic or metal air filter for 914-6?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
nmorrm
Does anyone have the definitive answer to this query? My 71 914-6 has a plastic cover for the air filter. I am wondering if it was originally metal and swapped with a later plastic. Please let me know.

Thanks
Mark Henry
I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure the 914/6 came with the plastic air filter housing. Problem with the plastic is it can warp so they often were replaced with steel.
914itis
thread hijack flag.gif

Is there an advantage to use the air box? does it help with the carbs noise?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(914itis @ Nov 6 2013, 07:41 AM) *

thread hijack flag.gif

It's a bit subjective as to if it adds/decreases power, but yes it does help a bit with noise. I believe with a 911 box you have to trim the snorkel and for performance most cut it off almost completely.
I have the bottom bits for the webers so I'd like to try a box, but I think it's best just to get mine running (with the K&N and hats) first. smile.gif
mepstein
plastic for a 914-6
Pat Garvey
Can we uneducated non-six owners see a pic of the part?
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 6 2013, 03:26 PM) *

Pat,
I believe this is the part in question (minus the large sticker of course)
Rand
Irrelevant as long as the sealing surface is doing its job. Plastic can warp, metal can bend. confused24.gif
The real question is, how does either do that? What have they been subjected to? Normal use isn't going to be a problem from either side.
914itis
which one fits the 914? neck facing driver's side or passenger?
Jasfsmith
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 6 2013, 08:22 PM) *

Looks like the snorkel is missing. Mine faces the passenger side.

Subjective, yes. The factory air cleaner is quieter than the rain hats, however my butt says the rain hats provides a bit more kick.
nmorrm
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Nov 6 2013, 05:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 6 2013, 03:26 PM) *

Pat,
I believe this is the part in question (minus the large sticker of course)

That was the part. Thanks for all the feedback.
sixnotfour
Just because 911's had tin has no reference to 914-6"s that all had plastic...
does an early 911 tin one fit IDK..Does a Later plastic 911 fit... IDK
DamonsCarrera
I have a metal 911 airbox in my car now, although I have the plastic 914-6 airbox too. A 911 airbox will fit, although depending on the fit of the engine lid it might rub a little on the top of the airbox. With both airboxes the snorkel goes down to the passenger side.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
gms
they were plastic
here is a bottom view
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
what no cold start nozzles ??
JmuRiz
Since I brought it up on the oil catchcan/breather thread, what hoses attach to the small side of the fixture on the back of the airbox?
gandalf_025
All the 6's I've seen came with plastic air cleaner housings.
I've seen more than a few that melted as a result of backfiring
through the carbs.
The air horns on the top of the webers were plastic also but many
were replaced with metal ones by the dealers when they realized
they could melt into the carbs for the same reason.
gandalf_025
Here is the result of a fairly mild melt from the carbs popping flame back.

Click to view attachment

The outer 2 air horns are plastic, the center one is metal..

Click to view attachment
porschetub
QUOTE(914itis @ Nov 7 2013, 01:41 AM) *

thread hijack flag.gif

I mentioned this in another thread,the late great Bruce Anderson tested stock air cleaner vs k&ns,the k&n's dropped 1 hp over the factory one,he concluded in his tech notes it was a good design from Porsche
There are other reasons I wouldn't use them,would rather spent the money elsewhere,they do look pretty however.
Read an article on the bird about air cleaners some said steel some said plastic,appears there was a change around MY 70-71 for 911's,but no real set rule,besides many must have been changed over the years confused24.gif .
My plastic one on my motor is flamed on one side (found out why),so I cut blocks of wood and jammed them inside and heated with a heatgun then chilled with water,its slowing coming right.
No question the steel one provides a better seal around the top of the carbs,this is very important.....anyone noticed how expensive these are getting now ,more 911 tax sad.gif .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.