QUOTE(rosenfe @ Nov 6 2013, 10:06 AM) *

cannot get them anywhere,anybody have any sources

You could try partsheaven.com

rosenfe
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Nov 6 2013, 11:09 AM) *

thanks for the leads ,auto atlanta has new ones for 150 ouch,think im going to upgrade to webers as i dont know what else may need replacing and cost will get above carbs
Java2570
Place a WTB in classifieds, someone will have a good set to offer up.....
Tom
From your number of posts here, you are new to these cars. Read some threads about carbs before making that decision. Fuel injection lets the car run better and get better mileage. Unless you build a big displacement engine with a different cam, FI is better.
Tom
DBCooper
QUOTE(Tom @ Nov 6 2013, 11:18 AM) *

Fuel injection lets the car run better and get better mileage. Unless you build a big displacement engine with a different cam, FI is better.
Tom

+1

Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(rosenfe @ Nov 6 2013, 11:12 AM) *

thanks for the leads ,auto atlanta has new ones for 150 ouch,think im going to upgrade to webers as i dont know what else may need replacing and cost will get above carbs

The words "upgrade" and "Webers" do NOT belong in the same sentence in any way, shape, or form. Beyond that, in order to gain any semblance of improved performance, or even to stay the same, you'll have to replace the camshaft. Unless an engine overhaul is in your plans, stick with FI.

Oh, and use the link I sent you in the PM. They have "new ones". The ones in the AA catalog are "cleaned and tested".

The Cap'n
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 6 2013, 02:23 PM) *

The words "upgrade" and "Webers" do NOT belong in the same sentence in any way, shape, or form. Beyond that, in order to gain any semblance of improved performance, or even to stay the same, you'll have to replace the camshaft. Unless an engine overhaul is in your plans, stick with FI.

Oh, and use the link I sent you in the PM. They have "new ones". The ones in the AA catalog are "cleaned and tested".

The Cap'n

agree.gif

here is just one recent thread of someone struggling with their carbs -

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=223678

i once had a '69 Austin Healey dual webber carbs, a real PIA in my opinion. i would say that my FI on the 75 914 2.0 i own have been much more depenable
that's not to say that they don't both have their advantages and disadvantages...
but i would say you should work a little on the Fi system first. you might just need to clean the points. and in the 4 years i have fixed or replaced enough of my FI to have purchased carbs but i have a perfectly running motor at this point with all new sensors, points, FI harness from Jeff Bowlsby, and i know what's new and how to check , test and replace most of what is on there and i knew nothing about Bosch FI before i bought this vehicle. It was designed and built to run with that FI. i know guys that have experience working on carbs and know then well so they prefer to tinker with that set up. but i doubt that you will spend less settingup your car with new carbs. and oh, if you go to a shop to have them tune and re- jet them, 4 hours later @$75/hour, suddenly you are in $$$$$. - just say'n
DBCooper
Absolutely true. People regularly reject fuel injection as "too complicated" without considering what they had to go through to learn carburetors (if they learned them at all). If you already have carburetors that's one thing, but if you're now at a point where you have to decide between learning carburetion or learning fuel injection, consider that carburetor technology is old, going or gone, and never coming back. Not the best investment of your time.

JamesM
For not much more then the cost of the FI trigger points which may or may not actually be your problem. (I have never seen a set go bad in all my 914s) You could convert your car to megasquirt using all your existing intake/injectors/fuel lines, and never have to worry about the Trigger points or MPS again.

But that's just me, and was not your actual question.

To answer your actual question, they are hard to come by new (NLA I believe like most other critical d-jet parts now) and are expensive if you can find them. Which is why I think Megasquirt is the way to go.
Mblizzard
I think I was that recent thread. I have all of my FI parts on the shelf that will go back on the car. While I like some of the things about carbs I will have to say that they are only a short term solution to any FI problem. I bet I spent more on jets and other parts than any set of trigger points you could buy even from AA.

Unless your are going to be absolutely committed to a rebuild and putting in a carb specific cam then stay away from carbs.

Someone is going to get a heck of a deal when I sell all of my stuff off!
StratPlayer
Love my D-jet runs and starts like a champ.
type47

... need replacing and cost will get above carbs

do you already have the carbs? If not, $150<$600 ... idea.gif
Valy
I have few if you need. PM me.
JawjaPorsche
Stay with FI if you can.
rosenfe
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Nov 6 2013, 03:46 PM) *

Stay with FI if you can.

ordered a new one from atlanta
Bob L.
QUOTE(JamesM @ Nov 6 2013, 03:17 PM) *

For not much more then the cost of the FI trigger points which may or may not actually be your problem. (I have never seen a set go bad in all my 914s) You could convert your car to megasquirt using all your existing intake/injectors/fuel lines, and never have to worry about the Trigger points or MPS again.

Please elaborate...

How did you do it so cheap?
I see micro squirt units for sale starting at $250, then there's installation and tuning. If you know how.

Dave_Darling
Buy the Megasquirt kit for $100 or so, solder it together yourself, buy a bunch of wire and terminals, and make the wiring harness, go junkyard shopping for other parts you might need (e.g., throttle position sensor), and so on.

You can substitute $$ for the work involved, of course.

--DD
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 6 2013, 11:23 AM) *

The Cap'n

I have been asked by a senior official at AA to correct what I wrote above. AA HAS new trigger point sets, although they're not in the catalog. Can't find it on the 'net if they're not listed, now can I?

The Cap'n
cwpeden
+1 on keeping the FI. I'm an FI convert and much prefer the performance of FI compared to Carbs. Though the carbs sounded cool at WOT. aktion035.gif
72hardtop
Carbs vs FI...

Well if you have the FI stuff already stick with it. If you don't it's going to cost you at least $1000.00-$1500.00 to get everything together if...and this is important if you can source everything. A lot of what you end up with is used or NOS. Then if you have an FI issue away from home headbang.gif sourcing parts won't be easy.

Duals once set up are very easy and one rarely needs to doink with them. And parts are easy to come across (not that one would ever need any). I'm running dual 40 Webers and they only need a rebuild about every 10 years or so. Rarely do I doink with them. Tuned properly they'll net one as good MPG's as FI. The only downside cold start initially.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.